March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hello!!

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pookieey
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hello!!

Post by Pookieey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi All,

I ve just started geocaching at the begining of April and I am totally addicted to it! I'm just about to do one on my lunch break!

I have loads of questions and was wondering if people can give me a few tips!

Currently I use an iphone 4 with the geocaching app to locate the cache's- should i invest in a hand held device? or is the iphone as good?

Also if so, does anyone know of an app for the iphone that i can imput co-oridnates into? Currently the GPS apps I have, have no problem locating me but I can't seem to get an app that has the ability to imput co-ordinates and then a compass feature!

These are just the first few questions I have..so many more to come :lol:

Pooks x

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hello!!

Post by mr.-oda » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:34 pm

First of all welcome.
I don't know about iPhones, but I've had the experiences with my HTC desire that the gps drains the battery quite fast and the accuracy is on most occasions not brilliant to say the least. So I have a cheapish garmin etrex venture to get the accuracy and then I use my phone for cache descriptions etc.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi and welcome to caching.
You can use the iphone but its not as good as a standalone GPS and it will not work very well when it has no signal and a GPS will get you closer to ground zero.

I would not attempt any caches too far off the road or in the mountains without a GPS as it does drain the battery and if it looses signal it would be no help.
You might want to start with a cheap or second hand device to see if you stick with the caching before you spend a lot of money out on a GPS. But it will depend on the location of the caches you are going for and the length of time you want to be away from a charging point.

I do not use an iphone so I am not sure about using the app.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:18 pm

I dont use the iphone for finding but this cheap application might suit for coordinate entry

http://itunes.apple.com/app/geopher-lit ... 58963?mt=8

Bluejay uses Geosphere so she might reply if that would work as well.

The exisiting comments about battery life are correct. There are plenty of options for a handheld, especially on the second hand market as people trade up. If you plan on doing hill walking type caches just ensure that it will take mapping, either the official OS or the free Emerald contours.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

As others have said caching on a phone will run down battery but is good for a small number of finds. I'd recommend that if you want to do more than an hour or so at a time that you buy yourself a basic handheld (nothing fancy). A Garmin eTrexH would do the job.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Pookieey

Post by Pookieey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks all for the replies! Yes, I agree with the battery thing, was trying to do one in Roche's Point the other day and before I knew it my battery was dead and I hadn't got to the cache yet! iphones have terrible battery life at the best of times anyhow!

I've managed to get someone to led me an old GPS unit at work. No idea what make/model it is. I probably will have to ask for more help when it arrives on my desk as I have never used one before!

Any ideas on how much the cheapist second hand unit would cost? (times are tough and all that jazz!!)

:D

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi

Regards the unit you are getting a lend of:

Keep in mind that if the unit hasn't been turned on in a while or travelled more than IIRC 120KM since it was on it will have to download a updated satellite almanac (essentially a database) and that can take up to 30 mins depending of coverage. I would take the unit outdoors for the first try as it will have better sight of the sky.

Oh and welcome BTW! :grin:

If you are going back to Roches Point & if you want a hint, then message me here.

MF :smile:

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Howdy from Austin, TX :hi
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

Team_Astrostar

Post by Team_Astrostar » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Hullo and welcome :D

I'm newish, caching since January. I'm also using a phone for caching. It has worked fine from anywhere between Howth to Bray so far, but seriously, i'm tempted to buy spare phone batteries at this rate :/

pookeen

Post by pookeen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi. nice name by the way.
I use the iphone for now and find it pretty accurate for the most part. the battery is a problem alright and another would be roaming charges if you go abroad or even up north.

see you around

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Welcome aboard.
Iphone ok for starters but a hand held would be more preferrable in the long run.

Pookieey

Post by Pookieey » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:02 pm

hey All thanks for your replies! I have had a mad busy one at work the last few days I haven't even had a chance to check this!

have bought myself an iphone charger for the car and have managed to borrow a garmin GPS 60 navigator from work. Haven't used it out yet as I've never used one before-its all very scary!!

Looking forward to doing a cache this weekend and seeing how it works out! :lol: