March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Is this allowed?

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Is this allowed?

Post by CluelessTwo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:33 pm

We have a cache which had 2 DNFs in January, we didnt get a chance to check out the cache and overlooked disabling it. Now today we have 2 found logs...one reads like this...

"Last time I was here the cache had been muggled and it's gone again (someone left a used nappy where it should be). I replaced it with a spare container I had with me but since 2 have gone missing from the same spot I suggest you relocate it"

Is it acceptable to just put out a new container to replace a possible missing cache and log it as found???
My thoughts are this is not acceptable.

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Is this allowed?

Post by beefy4605 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:45 pm

I'd check and see if the cache is there first .If it is then its not acceptable - if it's not there then it's your call - though given the log about rubbish in the area I'd be questioning whether or not you "need "to have a cache there.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 pm

I would say this is not acceptable without contacting the CO in advance of 'remedial work'.

If I was going to attempt a tough cache, which was DNF'd, I would contact the CO in advance and with permission replace the cache, but only under those circumstances.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Always best to check with the CO before doing anything to the cache. unless you think the cache was very obvious and they have just overlooked it then its a definite no but if they thought they were doing a good deed then yes or for a third you could be cynical and say they just brought the cache to make sure they get finds.

dino

Post by dino » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:17 am

I'm with John on this but would also echo Beefy's concern about the continued suitability of the location.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:29 am

Since I'm the one who dropped a new container there I apologise for overstepping the mark. I only replaced it because I confirmed with a previous finder the exact location before leaving a replacement and dropped a new cache there to save the owner a trip to replace it. I don't have a contact number for the CO.

I have replaced three missing containers in the past to save the owners a trip (two found in pieces and 1 confirmed as missing by the last logger). Won't do it in the future.

I've deleted my log (and freakycats) and replaced them with the DNFs. When you go to check on your cache you can dump the replacement container I left in the trash.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:42 am

Donmoore wrote: they just brought the cache to make sure they get finds.
Just on this point - I only had a cache with me because I was carrying spares for the New Years Event in my camera bag in case any of my new caches had gone missing. Usually only have a few plastic bags and spare logs in case of water damaged logs.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:20 am

Freakycat is not registered on the forum but she wanted the following comment posted

"I object to the inference that we replaced a cache just to claim a find. We happy logged other DNFs on the same day without replacing caches "in order to claim finds". Based on a previous finder (who we now realise found the old container not the replacement) but at the time we were convinced the cache was gone. The only intention was to save the owner a trip there as there would have been (as there are now) 4 straight DNFs.

We're due back in the area in about a forthnight so I'll look for it again then and we'll remove the temporary container we left.

I made the mistake of trying to help because I've done similar a couple of times in the past and been thanked for it, not held up to public ridicule.

I would always have been happy to delete my log had the CO contacted me (or the CO could have done it themselves)

I apologise for the offence caused and with the benefit of hind sight it was an eror to try and help and I won't replace/repair caches in the future"

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:24 am

From medic's point of view, both he and freaky could not find the cache... Given that both are very accomplished cachers in their own right (with a combined number of finds of over 7000 caches), I would be quite happy that if they couldn't find it that there was a very good chance it was missing.. Add in the extra bit where previous cachers had DNF's, and loads of rubbish etc.

If this cache was a 5* or 4* difficulty, there would certainly have been an issue, and I'm 100% sure in this instance no cacher would replace. I don't know what cache this one is, or where it is, but given that the highest Difficulty rating of all your caches is 2.5 then they should have found the cache..

I would have thought it quite helpful that he/she replaced the cache for you in these circumstances. In much the same way that I would replace a logbook, add in a zip lock bag etc etc

I also think that this could have been resolved privately, instead of sort-of publicly 'hanging' someone out.

In any case, from what we've read here and what medic alluded to in his log, the cache sounds like it should be moved anyway.. ??

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:15 pm

medic143 wrote:
Donmoore wrote: they just brought the cache to make sure they get finds.
Just on this point - I only had a cache with me because I was carrying spares for the New Years Event in my camera bag in case any of my new caches had gone missing. Usually only have a few plastic bags and spare logs in case of water damaged logs.
I dont really want to be quoted out of context here. I didn't say that you just brought the cache to make sure you get finds.
"if they thought they were doing a good deed then yes or for a third you could be cynical and say they just brought the cache to make sure they get finds."

it says if you are cynical. The prior part stats that if they were doing a good deed then yes[its ok to replace the cache]

I only went on the provided information and the assumption this was a novice cacher. Sorry if it has come across wrong.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:41 pm

"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:24 pm

I'd be happy for Medic and or Freakycat to replace any of my caches that were gone missing and to save me a journey etc. As Sparkie says they hare very expeirenced cachers and if they can't find it, I would put money on it that it's gone (and I'm not a gambler !)

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:45 am

I would have sent a note to the cache owner saying *did not find* Ok so they hid a new cache..But to log the cache they hid as a *found* NO WAY JOSE [-X
Cluelesstwo ask a question without naming names.. and outed no one . :-({|=
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:38 pm

While I can see why someone would replace a missing cache there is a possible downside in that you can end up with two caches at the same spot if the original has been moved or is very difficult to find. Unless I've agreed it with the owner in advance I don't think I would replace a missing cache.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Just to clarify - I posted my first comment BEFORE I looked to see what cache this was and based my reply on the information in the original post .
If Medic and Freakycat couldn't find any of my caches and had a spare with them - I'd be more than happy for them to replace it.
This sort of "problem"(for want of a better word) should be attempted to be sorted in private first before dragging it into a public forum and causing bad feeling.
I've had caches of my own replaced by others when they went missing and I have replaced caches for others. It's usually experienced cachers that have spare caches/ logs with them - newbies tend not to have them or don't feel confident that the cache is gone.
I was always thanked when I did it and I always thanked those that did it for me.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Just to say that my original post was put up as a question (hence the question mark), I genuinely didnt know if there was anything in the guidelines about logging a replacement cache that has been planted by the searcher, and didnt want to delete or ask the finder to delete the log otherwise...I was quite happy to be advised either way on this matter by other more knowledegable people than me. I also didnt want to name names on the forum to embarrass anyone, and feel that if someone wanted to go to the bother of trawling through all our cache logs to find the entry I was referring to, then that person maybe has too much time on their hands. The whole thread was intended as a way to find out guidelines, as I just didnt want to email the finder with no clear evidence or reason to delete a log.

I also have absolutely no problem whatsoever about replacing a cache that was either damaged or needed a new logbook, and in fact have done this on a few occasions myself, but only if I had a similar sized container. In the case of a micro that had appeared to be missing, unless you can find out from the owner or a previous finder what the container was like I personally wouldnt replace it. (the finder in the situation wasnt aware that the container size had been changed due to the previous muggling (which was when the council cleared away the ivy where the cache was located, the litter and nappies etc has only been a very recent occurrence, and will be removed asap).

The cache will be visited this week for maintenance, and if the replacement container is suitable for the location it will stay.