March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Good Caches Thread

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Good Caches Thread

Post by klaus23 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:06 pm

I don't suppose anyone has put together a PUBLIC list OF "nice" caches? Would be nice TO have something LIKE that ON the main gcireland page. The best I could find was the "favourite" cache parts OF each member's profile under community. It would be nice to have a list of all the unmissable caches Ireland has to offer.
Ok, this thread IS TO recognise the good AND ONLY the good that Ireland has TO offer. Post your favourite OR unmissable caches here. List the waypoint NUMBER, the NAME, ideally a link AND why you think the cache merits your praise. Post AS many times AS you LIKE. One cache per post. ADD pictures if you LIKE. ALL cache types accepted. You can recommend your own caches if you LIKE.

Please refrain FROM discussing individual caches OR expressing strongly negative opinions ON other members recommendations. If you think a cache should NOT be included IN the final listing FOR the website we can discuss that afterwards.

Enjoy!
Last edited by klaus23 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fjon » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:54 pm

Ok, I will get the ball rolling then:

Bear IN mind I'm still new to this and have not had access to many caches outside the Dublin area though!

GC9C57 Peat Hags Perch
This has been my favourite so far. If this IS taken FROM the given parking co-ordinates it IS a challenging enough walk, WITH near vertical climbs AT one stage. Amazing views AT the END AND a well-hidden cache too. Thumbs up!

Last edited by Fjon on Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:05 pm

GCFF5A carnsore cache
Really nice walk along the coast, but it's the sound and sight of the turbines that fascinate me.

Marcus in Kerry

Post by Marcus in Kerry » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:08 am

GCMZ1E Great North Trek
Fantastic beach AND rock formations ON the North Antrim coast. Can be approached FROM two sides, BOTH involve a lovely walk ON the coastal path OR beach. The co-ordinates ARE a BIT off, though.

Whitepark Bay:

Rock formations near the cache:

Wildlifewriter

Post by Wildlifewriter » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:52 pm

:trad GCF170 The Grey Mans Head County Antrim

This was ONLY the third cache I'd ever found, and it made a lasting impression.

Situated ON the top OF Fair Head, near Ballycastle, there ARE several ways OF doing this cache - each WITH its own merits. My friend (a visitor FROM Hungary) AND I chose TO approach FROM the south, which gives a pleasant walk out along what remains OF an old waymarked trail. This passes a "crannog" - a medieval island dwelling - IN a nearby lake AND ends WITH staggering clifftop views over Rathlin AND beyond.

This, AND the adjacent GCHCYM Marconi's Cottage can be done in a single walk (with a bit of planning). Together, they form the "signature caches" for Antrim's north coast.

-Wlw

Crannog AT Fair Head
Last edited by Wildlifewriter on Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wildlifewriter

Post by Wildlifewriter » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:56 pm

:multi GCMVT4 Binnian Tunnel County Down

Pick a favourite cache IN Down, out OF so many splendid ones? It's almost impossible. How could one not mention the Strangford Lough micros, magical Ballydyan or the infuriating Castlewellan Cache?

WHEN ALL's said and done, though, the most beautiful area of Down is the Kingdom of Mourne - and the most beautiful place in Mourne is the Annalong Valley.

Wuthered's recent hide makes full use of the landscape and the extraordinary feat of engineering from which the cache takes its name. There's an easy yet striking walk TO do, AND a tricky little navigational test TO find the final waypoint.

A belter.

-Wlw.

"Binnian Tunnel", near Int1.
Last edited by Wildlifewriter on Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wildlifewriter

Post by Wildlifewriter » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:33 pm

:trad GCM5EE On a Clear Day County Fermanagh

Straight out OF Grandma's recipe book, this is a good old, home-cooked, traditional geocache at its best - full of goodness and flavour, with only the best ingredients used. No virtual stages or other harmful additives, either.

Twelve months ago, there wasn't a single cache in Fermanagh. Now, there are indeed some good ones and this is the pick of them.

Romur chose this location WITH care, AND took his TIME over it. A scenic forest drive, followed by a bracing walk up the hill TO WORK up an appetite. Once there, an interesting archaeological feature competes WITH fine panoramic views FOR your attention. Attention needs TO be paid, though, because the cache IS well hidden (AND well away FROM the protected part OF the site) WITH SOME OF the best-contrived camouflage I've yet seen.

Done TO a turn.
-Wlw.

Clogher Valley, FROM the cache site.
Last edited by Wildlifewriter on Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:47 am

GCJ8RT Slieve League (Bunglas) County Donegal

The altitude OF the highest sea cliffs IN Europe AT 598 metres, the colours OF sea AND rock, the terrifying one-man-path, the feeling OF being ALL alone ON this island.

Glorious.

It's a long, tough drive and a little off the beaten path, but on a fine day - wow!

Cliffs AT Slieve League

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:58 am

:mys GCN7DX The Circle County Kildare

Just leaving the really scenic AND obvious ones aside FOR a moment, a favourite cache FOR me was one I did ONLY yesterday (see GCN7DX, The Circle, by The Bridge Bandits) (someone will have TO direct me how TO CREATE a link!!). AS I mentioned IN the log it had nearly everything that I think makes up a great cache. If I posted a picture it would give away too much.
A great little numbers puzzle TO test the old grey matter, never mind your patience! I happen TO LIKE the idea OF HAVING TO WORK out SOME detail IN order TO GET the coordinates.
A pleasant stroll IN a lovely spot, a very well placed cache FULL OF really good stuff AND ALL put together IN an ammo box which certainly must the best container FOR caching.[/code]

[Mod: link added 10/4/05 -Wlw]

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:15 pm

GCK768 Solas Cache County Sligo

Located AT Carrowkeel Megalithic Burial Ground, AND DATE ONLY frequented by the locals, I'm disappointed this one has not had more visitors as it's RIGHT along the N6 Dublin-Sligo road. The cache page describes the cache AS HAVING "commanding views of the area". This IS a TRUE remark, but perhaps an understatement, AS you can see FOR miles AND miles IN 360'

Dating back TO before 2000BC, it really IS an amazing site WITH three fully intact passage tombs which you can even walk INTO (the great thing about Irish archeology). I have attached two pictures which do NOT do the site justice, you really have TO visit FOR yourself.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:24 pm

GC43 yes - that IS #43 in the World :!:
Europe's First County Wicklow

It fills me WITH pride that NOT ONLY ARE we IN Ireland* able TO lay claim TO owning the very FIRST geocache placed IN ALL OF Europe, but that through the e-GROUP AND repleated pokes AT Chris O'Byrne, we were able to get the thing running again.

So it's steeped in history, has the waypoint GC43, and is up on Bray head which on a sunny day is a very nice place to be.

I borrowed a photo FROM Bootle which IS nowhere near the cache site 8)

* This discussion comes up occasionally ON the UK forums. Following "British band" U2, "British cyclist" Stephen Roche, Terry Wogan, Graham Norton, AND 800 years OF famine, death, destruction AND pillage (we don't even know what pillage is) we just can't, AND don't, allow them away with this one :lol:

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:38 pm

GCGDB2 Father Ted's Tribute Cache nr Killnaboy County Clare

A drive through scenic Clare WITH a reward FOR TV comedy buffs near TO the cache. A hard cache TO find by ALL accounts, but worth it FOR the novelty.

Surprised wildlifewriter hasn't made it here yet. It should be compulsory.
I brought an English friend here LAST YEAR who IS a huge fan OF the series AND there were tears IN his eyes. :)

How's that now Ted?

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:46 pm

:trad GCGQTV Spink, Glendalough, Co. Wicklow.

By far SOME OF the best views IN Wicklow. Don't need to be a seasoned hiker for this, just fit enough to get up all the steps. You are still in a mountainous area though and should have a warm clothes and boots.

Wildlifewriter

Post by Wildlifewriter » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:38 am

:trad GCJWHC The Windy Cache County Derry

There ARE NO caches IN Stroke City itself, AND if it weren't for the efforts of Merann the whole county might be devoid of them.

This interesting AND remote spot hosts one OF the most technically advanced wind farms IN Europe. The owners have made PUBLIC access via a car park AND short footpath TO the base OF one OF the pylons. A useful interpretive board nearby gives info ON the turbines - AND also ON the important wildlife OF the IMMEDIATE area.

The cache itself IS an object lesson ON how TO keep a container dry IN an exposed AND hostile location.

Worth a visit. -Wlw.

Altahullion Wind Farm

Wildlifewriter

Post by Wildlifewriter » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:49 pm

:trad GCM34B Derryhubbert Bog County Armagh

This was another tough choice FOR "Best in County". An honourable mention goes TO Under The Boardwalk FOR its beautiful setting beside Lough Gall. FIRST place, though, FOR another "Romur" cache - this TIME AT Peatlands Park near Dungannon. There's no better place to get a feel for the unique fauna and flora of these lowland raised bogs - a habitat which is fast disappearing in Ireland, except where protected.

A superficial search might lead you TO TO think that the cache has disappeared, too. Although the co-ordinates ARE accurate, it's by no means easy to find!

Nice one.
-Wlw.

Info board AT Peatlands Park

Wildlifewriter

Post by Wildlifewriter » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:12 am

:trad GCH5T0 Stone Circles County Tyrone

Sometimes, it's not about the cache - it's about WHERE the search takes you. The early Bronze Age structures AT Beaghmore ARE now one OF the most important archaeological sites IN Ireland, yet still largely UNKNOWN TO the general PUBLIC.

One reason may be that the site has ONLY recently been excavated (since 1965) AND much remains underground. Another IS that it's not an easy place to navigate to: Irish Grid H 68522, 84281 and Multimap to the rescue about 14Km NW of Cookstown.

A series OF paired stone circles AND linear alignments, WITH associated cairns AND ditches, ALL dating FROM around 1600 B.C. It IS possible TO spend hours exploring the place - but wrap up warm because it's a bleak spot, even in summer! One intriguing feature is the circle known as the "Dragon's Teeth" (see photo). What is it - a ruined pavement? A star chart? A tally of livestock? Your guess is as good as anyone else's, at the moment.

Well worth getting lost TO find it. :)

-Wlw

Beaghmore stone circle

Wildlifewriter

Post by Wildlifewriter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:50 pm

:trad GCK76H Rapunzel Cache County Roscommon

OK , well... you expect TO find "special" caches IN special places: the Wicklow Mountains, Antrim Coast, Ring OF Kerry - but NOT tucked away IN the Roscommon panhandle AND nowhere near anywhere. Perhaps that's why this one has only been visited three times since it was placed, in July 2004.

AND THAT makes it the best-kept caching secret IN Ireland.

My log reads: "This route to the cache will take you through no fewer than six distinct wildlife habitats: succession Birch woodland leads to an area of lowland raised bog, then cut bog, and then - by way of an extraordinary "tunnel" through dense conifers to some very old oak/beech demesne woods with the lakeshore beyond... In total, 17 bird species identified during this short walk, (about 1.5Km each way.)"

If you're heading for Sligo (or even if you're NOT) it's well worth a detour to log this cache - but do it soon, is my advice, because the landowner wants to develop the immediate area as a night club, or something.

Beech/Oak woodlands near the cache AT Lough KEY

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:04 pm

:trad GCGAY0 Gone Fishin'

This cache IS IN the picturesque village OF Cong, Mayo, County Mayo. Anyone who hasn't visited it should really check it this lovely little village and this great cache. There are also another 3 in the area which are well worth doing.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Wed May 11, 2005 7:11 pm

GCMVYK So Far Navar

IN my own personal opinion, the best cache IN Ireland. Make sure you GO IN good weather. Photo's to follow.

dino

Post by dino » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:27 pm

klaus23 wrote:GCJ8RT Slieve League (Bunglas) County Donegal

The altitude OF the highest sea cliffs IN Europe AT 598 metres, the colours OF sea AND rock, the terrifying one-man-path, the feeling OF being ALL alone ON this island.

Glorious.

It's a long, tough drive and a little off the beaten path, but on a fine day - wow!
I had a less than satisfying visit here a few weeks ago but I see Paul has managed TO make it there ON the best DAY OF the YEAR so far AND appears TO have done a tip-top job OF repairing the cache.

ALL that AND he managed a FTF AND a DO (beat me TO that one :( ) INTO the bargain.

ps If I'd known you were in the area today you could have called for a cuppa to ease the ache in your chassis after the bumpy roads :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."