March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

FTF war stories

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

FTF war stories

Post by fitzet » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:31 pm

The prospect of an FTF rarely stirs me to go after one. I notice from the logs of recently published caches that many people think, and act, different to me.

What's the biggest effort you've made to claim an FTF ?

And, was it worth it ?

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: FTF war stories

Post by Hezekiah » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Blagged a ride on a helicopter to a remote island off the West coast (of Ireland) and got FTF on a cache that had been placed years before (4, if memory serves) and yes, it was worth it - on of the most bizarre days in my life!!
Up is good!!

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 pm

swimming in the Grand Canal in the middle of April to get cache located on the canal island :roll:

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Wandered round the Liberties at Clanbrassil St. at 2 in the morning in my PJs ;)

Had it been 2 in the afternoon, I might have fitted in! :D
Image Image

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:14 am

Not an FTF war story, but definitely a 2TF one !

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... d86f9902c8

I feel some measure of guilt here, I was the one who pipped him by a day.

dino

Post by dino » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Can you see the video of their find, Dino? I can't seem to get it open

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:16 am

Fascinating... thanks for posting it Dino!
Can share video via Dropbox if you would like to see it Eileen?
Email or text me...Tony

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:01 am

That's mad!!

Jumpin Jiminie

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Excellent find there Niall!

The flies/mozzies on the video would drive me crazy though.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:50 pm

I had to laugh at the FTF log on this one

http://coord.info/GC4J27Q

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Awesome! :mrgreen:
Image Image

Mini-Tap
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by Mini-Tap » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:33 pm

General Melchett had a cache published called Croghan Hill just outside Kilmacthomas, Co Waterford. So I decided to go for it, but CO said to meet him at the car parking and he would come up with me. Didn't know him from adam, but agreed to his company. I cant remember the difficulty/terrain, but he said he wanted it as a toughie. From the car park, it was only 600 mts if i remember correctly to gz. So off we set off over the style up the track. Well about 20 metres up the track, and then CO said that we go offroad here. Well, we lumped it over marsh, bog, brambles, ditches, and any form of obstacle you can think of. The rain started heavy and as we crossed a farmers field, a herd of cows and one bull ran towards us. We had to basically run and dive under the fence. Again, ditches and the like greeted us. The cache was found easily, bt CO decided we'd try an alternate route down, and got us lost. He didnt know the terrain at all and we had to backtrack through ferns and briars bigger than us. We had to brave the bull again. When we got back to the car, I had my fill of CO and told him that he could get someone injured, so while I got ftf, i got ltf (last to find) also, as he archived the cache that evening.

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 pm

Wow :shock:

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:40 pm

Double Wow :shock: :shock:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:52 am

What is funny about Mini-Taps experience is there is a forest track to almost the top of the hill that they could have followed!!! :)

dino

Post by dino » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:19 pm

MunsterFan wrote:What is funny about Mini-Taps experience is there is a forest track to almost the top of the hill that they could have followed!!! :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."