March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Premium Membership Hike

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Premium Membership Hike

Post by Tmsr » Wed May 22, 2013 10:54 am

Notice that Groundspeak have hiked their Premuim membership fees from $30 to €30 per year. This increase applies to Europe due to VAT or some such justification. Wonder if any other Irish premium members have a view on this topic?. I'd suggest it's a little bit of a PR gaffe when US premium membership remains the same - wonder if one could suggest the US relations buy it as a present for you...
I see there's been quite a stir on the international fora, but without any official notification prior to renewal, the approx 33% increase might have escaped notice for some...

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Premium Membership Hike

Post by GoldCircle » Wed May 22, 2013 11:11 am

Yeah, a lot of hacked off European/International cachers - before someone suggests it, apparently, if you try to use PayPal to get around it, it picks up your location regardless, and defaults to the higher costs... so that's no workaround.

This differential pricing strategy is not unusual of American (and to be fair, European) corporates (even small ones like GS) and while there potentially can be VAT issues, and protection required for currency fluctuations, there is also an element of taking the piss with the international audience, because they feel they can get away with gouging us. American business culture in general is very sensitive to the home audience, but couldn't give two figs for what they perceive as an 'external' audience. I can't help thinking that the international audience accounts for a a very, very sizeable percentage of all cachers - and must have more weight that we realise.

I'm not sure what can be done, apart from starting a campaign to email GS and inform them that we'll not be renewing our Prem Subs until they review a pricing policy which has 'a tendency to discriminate based on ethnicity'. :wink:
Image Image

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Wed May 22, 2013 11:13 am

Can you pay in £? Any difference in price?

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Wed May 22, 2013 12:41 pm

I understand the £ people got shafted also.
Image Image

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Wed May 22, 2013 6:02 pm

With the US economy in the state that it is, you can't blame them for trying to get their hands on some hard currency! :oops:
Up is good!!

dino

Post by dino » Wed May 22, 2013 6:47 pm

If you renew your membership you don't have to pay the extra money. This only applies to new memberships.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Wed May 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Don't think so Dino. Only way around it is for those who have a recurring membership. I'm up for renewal end of month and the new fee applies unfortunately. Will probably end up renewing but believe they're losing a lot of German Premiums and it could hasten the promotion of alternative platforms...
Think it's a major o.g. to divide their market in such a fashion.

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Wed May 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Hezekiah wrote:With the US economy in the state that it is, you can't blame them for trying to get their hands on some hard currency! :oops:
Boy O Boy ..that's an idiotic statement. Like if I were to say 'at least we're not eating horse meat' that would be a idiotic statement. :roll: Now HUSH!! :x
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

dino

Post by dino » Wed May 22, 2013 7:57 pm

I haven't paid an awful lot of attention to it but from what I have been told there was no option but to increase European fees as they were officially told they were in breach of some kind of trading law. This means that the European prices will always be higher than the US ones (like there is with virtually every product you buy). Saying that there is a considerable difference even when you allow for currency exchange rates. I have a feeling (totally my own opinion) that €30 was chosen as a round number to match the $30.

However, the price of $30 has remained the same since I started caching over 8 years ago and at less than 10c per day (the new rate) I still feel it is very good value. If you disagree then you always have the free option of Basic Membership but think what you get for that 10c a day.

dino

Post by dino » Wed May 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Just worked it out.

$30 = €23.34 + 21% VAT = €28.24

This means we have been "overcharged" by €1.76 per year. Not really worth getting that worked up about to be honest!

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Wed May 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Don't forget that the $30 charged to US people has to include a US state sales tax - it's a gross figure already. (To be fair, sales taxes vary typically between 2-12% over there depending on the state) So, it's not as simple as marking it up for a nominal EU vat rate.

To make a false analogy, we're being taxed twice. Being Irish, I know that feeling...

With this in mind, there is simple gouging at play.

Perhaps, they update their servers with all the extra cash???
Image Image

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Does that mean that I have to pay 30 Danish kroner which is around 4 euro, or do I need to pay 30 euro which I will say is discriminating as it is not my currency, and if they start making a difference they have to add the Danish VAT of 25%. How is it for the rest of the world now, does people in Asia or Australia still pay $30 or have they changed that as well?

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 am

Boy O Boy ..that's an idiotic statement. Like if I were to say 'at least we're not eating horse meat' that would be a idiotic statement. :roll: Now HUSH!! :x[/quote]

Check out http://www.usdebtclock.org/ to see just how idiotic it is!! :twisted:
Up is good!!

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Thu May 23, 2013 1:19 pm

~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 am

dino wrote:Just worked it out.

This means we have been "overcharged" by €1.76 per year. Not really worth getting that worked up about to be honest!
Interesting perspective...so on that basis if the dollar strengthens, it would be ok next year to round it up to 35 euro or say €40, and will they notify non US members of their random pricing in advance?

Not getting worked uo but merely wondering how they can justify introducing a two tier charge without informing their customers of such a charge first. Not every euro currency member may have the same VAT rates, and how are they pricing their product for European countries outside the euro zone?
Maybe such an Internet-savvy organisation could look at how all other online international purchases are managed and simply calculate the charges in real time using the technology available.

I got a D in accountancy in my Leaving Cert, so sure ain't an expert, but I'd imagine their reported refusal to share their VAT registration number could get people wondering where the 21% plus generous tip from the non-US customers is actually going...
Not querying value for money, merely questioning values....

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Tue May 28, 2013 7:21 am

Want to bet we won't an iota of performance increase to the steam driven servers that they must be using to serve the site, why o why have they not multiple clusters deployed???

As an aside, no company can refuse to share their VAT number either, Revenue might be interested if that is the case. The dollar being so weak €25 would have been a better choice of fee for euro countries.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Wed May 29, 2013 10:57 pm

GoldCircle wrote:Don't forget that the $30 charged to US people has to include a US state sales tax.
No it doesn't. By and large, US sales taxes are charged only for goods, not for services, excepting certain designated taxes such as for telephone service.

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Thu May 30, 2013 1:13 am

I stand corrected.
Image Image

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 pm

dino wrote:Just worked it out.

The vat rate is 23%

$30 = €23.34 +23% VAT = €28.71

The Casual Geocacher

dino

Post by dino » Fri May 31, 2013 5:12 am

23? When did that happen!