March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

GARMIN eTrex

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

GARMIN eTrex

Post by fitzet » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:21 am

I have a GARMIN eTrex and it's accuracy, to put it bluntly, is pants.

At a recent event, I was standing beside a cache and the eTrex had it as being 17m away. I've been on the GARMIN site and there does not seem to be a software or firmware upgrade available. It's software version is 3.51.

At the same event, I saw a number of other such devices in the field and those owners did not seem to be having the same issue as me.

I carried out a couple of tests and the accuracy seems to be OK, in terms of marking waypoints. I took a location for my garden, keyed them into Google Maps, and they seemed bang on. Yesterday I found a cache, based on it's description and hint, and the eTrex, when displaying a location to mark, was accurate to a couple of thousanths of a degree, compared to the published location of the cache. However, the 'Navigate To' function showed it being 10 metres away.

Any hints, tips and/or tricks to reducing my frustration with this device ? Replacement is not an option; financially, it's not worth it to me.

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: GARMIN eTrex

Post by GoldCircle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:21 am

When my unit plays up, I restart it. That covers most eventualities.

Then, you could also try walking in a 10m star of David shape - so you move in all three directions, allowing your gps to triangulate properly against a whole bunch of satellites in different directions - this often brings my accuracy down from 8-10m to a more sensible 3-4m.

Also, some people swear by moving the unit in a figure of 8 pattern in your hand - like you're trying to make it sea-sick. It never did much for me, but I don't suppose it can hurt.
Image Image

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:58 am

It's worth remembering, and highly probable, that the cache coordinates might be pants too!! :)

Although I've never owned an eTrex, I have always heard they are a good solid GPS, a golden oldie you could say.. However they can suffer under dense tree cover - for which the new models may be more accurate, but also more expensive...

The example you have shown above of taking a waypoint in the garden and this tallies with Google maps is more than enough proof that your GPS is pluggin' away goodo

Keep on cachin' !

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:44 am

I have one of the old eTrex Vista HC I think and it works very well (most of the time)

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:35 am

Make sure your using the correct map datum....the WGS 84 datum

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks for those replies. I did a full reset (wiped all waypoints :cry: ) and it hasn't made a material difference.

I'll muddle on, sure it's only a distraction :) !

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 pm

GoldCircle wrote:Then, you could also try walking in a 10m star of David shape - so you move in all three directions, allowing your gps to triangulate properly against a whole bunch of satellites in different directions - this often brings my accuracy down from 8-10m to a more sensible 3-4m.
The GPS is already triangulating properly against the satellites, which are speeding along at 14,000 kph. A bit of ground motion doesn't make any difference to that process. I suspect your accuracy improves because the GPS has more time to gather data, not because it goes for a walk.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Fitzet or Mr.Oda - how to you load your info onto the etrex?

Just wondering - Toffee Man has one & basically puts the caches on one at a time with the send to GPS feature from the website.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:11 pm

I use GSAK

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:19 pm

A macro in GSAK?

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Blue Jay wrote:Fitzet or Mr.Oda - how to you load your info onto the etrex?

Just wondering - Toffee Man has one & basically puts the caches on one at a time with the send to GPS feature from the website.
Ditto, or key them in individually.

Out of interest, do you use a different GPSr and is it noticeably more accurate than ToffeeMan's ?

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:05 pm

I use the Oregon - accuracy wise not much difference - in fact it has happened that I'm up to 30 mts away on my GZ and Toffee Man finds the cache on his GZ - :shock: :shock:
Mostly there isn't much difference though.
Just that I can be totally paperless and load all the caches on with a PQ though GSAk in one go. But it seems such an ordeal to put them on the Vista.
For instance we're off to Madrid - I ran a PQ for the city and loaded 327 caches onto my GPSr in one foul swoop - where to start or end with doing them individually on the Vista (or the Legend - we have both) ? I just think I'm missing something that there must be an easier way to do it.

dino

Post by dino » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:30 pm

If you have GSAK and a USB cable then plug in the GPS, open GSAK, filter for the caches you want and Export to GPS 8-)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 pm

You know haven't been able to get that to work for me for ages - it usually says they're gone on but when we're out in the field there's loads missing - so I deleted everything I could off it & I think I may actually have the ones for Madrid on it now - we'll see when we get there. Thanks Niall :D

dino

Post by dino » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Thing is you will only see them when you are in the right area. Go to the map screen, scroll to Madrid, zoom in and you should see them then.

An alternative is to export to Mapsource and export to GPS from there.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:33 am

Mine filters the caches so it only shows the ones that are close by. Just make sure that you are not trying to transfer more waypoints than the GPSr have space to, sometimes I've had 100-200 waypoints already and then missed out on some as I reached the limit without noticing.
I think you have to download a plug in from garmin in order to be able to transfer the caches but I might be wrong on that.