March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Youghal: Good geocaching fun or Overkill? whatya think?

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mini-Tap
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Youghal: Good geocaching fun or Overkill? whatya think?

Post by Mini-Tap » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Look at the maps and you will see that Youghal has practically been written off the map. You ccan hardly see the town for all the green boxes, strewn all over the place. Within 10 miles of the town there are 120 caches, off which 65 are within a 3 mile radius of the town centre. The place went mad with the onset of Irlgoh and his son Irlcgoh. They have trained in a few more cachers which means that trips to the Youghal area are frequent, and lo betide the cacher who comes home and says "i've just cleared out Youghal!" Check your notifications buddy.
What does everyone think? I know its great for numbers, but are there too many there. Is it possible to have too many caches in any one area?
Me, I have no answer. I'm just putting this out, seeing what you guys think.
Mini-Tap out........

dino

Re: Youghal: Good geocaching fun or Overkill? whatya think?

Post by dino » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Judging by some of what I've reviewed recently it's starting to become overkill! There's no way you can have so many interesting locations within such a small location and unfortunately quality then has to suffer :(
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah, I definitely think you can too many caches in an area. Yougal is now an example, Peigland is an example, North County Dublin is (was?) an example.

I used to get every cache that was near to me, but approx 2 years ago I got turned off by shite caches put out for the sake of putting something out. I figured, why was I spending my time searching through thorns, hedges, dog shit, to look for a small leaky container that has not benefited my physical condition, or at the very least thought me something interesting about the location I was at!!

Since then I only spend my time finding caches that have good ratings (favourite points). 9 times out of 10 this ensures I have a smile on my face when I find the cache container, or I have a thrilling experience climbing to get a cache, or spend a few hours hiking/kayaking to get a solitary cache somewhere... To me, this is what Caching is about...

It's all quality for me these days.. some may have noticed that I've archived a good few of my own caches over the last year or 2.. When I put out the caches I thought they were interesting locations etc, but the community has spoken and any cache of mine that didn't favourite points got archived.

I would prefer to spend my time putting caches together that people would like to find, that they would like to spend their free time at the weekend finding; I guess in a way, putting a cache together that I myself would like to find!
I think this approach has worked well and I'm proud to have some nice caches around that get good logs and good ratings from people

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:40 am

P.S. Some people like the numbers game etc.. But for your own sanity you need to look past the green boxes on your map, and just keep a tab on the highest rated caches in your area.

Project-gc have a good cache ratings table where you can see what the good caches are in your location, or by province, or even country.. Go to project-gc.com , click Cache Stats at the top of the page and then Cache Favourites.

There are 3 different measures - the first is by absolute number - which is biased towards caches that are found alot - i.e. in Dublin and other big citys/towns. The second is by %, which can be an accurate measure, and the third is a statistical method which is a hybrid of both.

Spend you time finding those ones and you'll have a better experience. I would go there and look at the top 30. Plan to get those ones over the summer and I guarantee you won't regret it!

It may happen that a few of the say 100 that are published may actually be good caches, and when enough people have done the donkey work for you (in going out and finding them!) and highlighted them as being good (giving them a favourite point) - that's the trigger for you to saying "This cache is good and worth spending your time to go and find".

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Back in my day...
When I started caching it was conceivable that someone could "clear the country", i.e. get every one of the 100 or so caches on the island. I got into the game with this mentality. As the number of caches increased I thought I would manage to at least clear Co. Dublin or Wicklow if the whole country wasn't achievable.
Over the last few years even this seems almost impossible. I've gone with a bit of what Spark_ie does with the favourites, but also will grab a cache or two if they are close (even if they don't have favourites).
Also, having cached in Dublin for so long there aren't many areas that I haven't seen so I'm rarely surprised when I go to a cache. Interesting cache containers, or puzzles are usually what makes a good cache for me in Dublin nowawadays.

No offence to anyone from Youghal, but I really don't think there is any need for more than a dozen caches.

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:40 pm

As Ireland is now in some places I don't see anything wrong with people like Peig putting out a lot of caches. I mostly find that they are in interesting places although not always well maintained. However, without Peig the only other active cacher in my area when I arrived would have been Serapis, and apart from a few other caches out Kilkenny would be a very empty place. I will soon be going to Dingle with my work which means I will only be able to pick up caches at the places we are going to, so I imagine that will not be to many. For the question about if there are enough interesting places around to put out a lot of caches I would say yes. I don't know West Waterford/East Cork so well, but I certainly often find places closer to my which would be interesting enough for a cache, and even in Denmark where there are considerably more caches it isn't very often that I really wonder why people placed the cache where they did. You can search Vordingborg on the map which is my hometown, and most of the caches are maybe not memorable, but definitely not a nuisance either. All that said I don't think that you should just through a box out just because you can, and I hope I inspire others to make interesting caches by putting a bit more effort into some of mine.

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:09 pm

while out caching last year - it hit me ( not the cache or the tree :lol: ) but I was standing there thinking "What the F*** am I doing here ? There's no view , no history and nothing of interest here so why in the name of God am I here ?" I had no answer to it so I've cut right back . I point blank refuse to log a ( in my opinion ) crap cache . I've been out a few times and on arrival at or close to GZ on looking round I realize it's just not worth it to me and I have and will walk away from it .
I'm still a Premium member as I do want to support the game and its development $30 isn't a deal breaker but this year I'd say I'll be lucky if I log 20 caches - but those caches are ones I've been looking at or watching for quite some time .
Ireland used to be about quality caches - I saw the difference when I was driving in Scotland and England at the weekends there were some really bad ones up and down the A75,M6 corridor but Ireland now is more and more about pushing numbers.
Right or wrong I have no issue with how others play the game - we pay our money (or not) and we are free to play the game as we see fit but for me from now on it's quality caches either with lots of Fav points or ones that look like caches that will be a good walk or a good day out ( or all of the above )
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:25 pm

I think Youghal has gone a bit OTT now, that said I'm going to hit the place like a man possessed at the upcoming event!

Any caches I put out now are going to be really good ones that are worth favouriteing, and I think that you realise that the more you put out. Peigland is quite full of caches yes, but I've found that the vast majority of those are cache-worthy places.... I've given him a good chunk of favourite points I must admit. I think the areas AROUND Youghal are getting a good few nice caches, but in Youghal itself its just gone a **little** bit overkill for my liking.

Fair play though to the gohs for getting others into the hobby and getting Youghal on the map!

dino

Post by dino » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Two caches placed in Youghal today less than 10m apart......this is over-saturation at it's best (or worst!)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:01 am

Ok, I just had a look of some of the new caches, and yes that is overkill, and combined with some of the caches I found in the weekend there are definitely caches in the south east now that I wouldn't recommend people to go and find.

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:28 pm

THE_Chris wrote:I think Youghal has gone a bit OTT now, that said I'm going to hit the place like a man possessed at the upcoming event!
but by doing that Chris do you send a signal to the cache owner that what they are doing is OK/ good/ alright and they should put out more of the same because they are OK / good/ alright ? Whereas if you don't log caches that in your estimation are bad caches then cache owners would eventually have to sit up and think " Why are cachers coming to my area and not logging my caches but are logging someone else's that are right beside mine ?"
I know for some its all about numbers but if you log 20 - 30 crap caches every time you go caching and say nothing in the logs you encourage another 20 - 30 crap caches to be placed .Cache finders have got to start giving credit were its due but equally they must speak up and say when they find something that they don't like.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:14 pm

On behalf of the reviewers, a quiet word was had by one of the event go-ers in Youghal to the local cachers. Basically, there are about 5 or 6 ultra enthusiastic kids who almost have their own mini-game going on down there based on FTFs only. Reckon it went down well and I haven't seen a glut of stuff since.

I was pleasently surprised actually when I was down there.... sure there were a lot of caches but a good few of them were quite acceptable urban hides. There were one or two ones I didn't like, but I'd say there were only a few more of them than you'd find in any urban area.

Mini-Tap
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by Mini-Tap » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 pm

in ref to those "ultra enthusiastic kids" Chris, I think maybe they are playing the game in contention with each other, rather than attracting people to Youghal. I have a feeling that there will be more cache placements from them, they don't have cars and can only hide in Youghal. And where do they hide the next batch? Just a thought

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:28 pm

I think you need to put these caches into prospective; GC has rules and obviously they don't break any rules or the reviewers wouldn't have publish them, therefore they must be legal GC caches; I haven't seen their caches but I guess they couldn't be any worst than some of the caches I've visited over the last few years, placed by well meaning people; and remember if these where in the States they may well be revered, where cache trails are placed purely boost the stats of some cachers and if I could afford it I'd be out there boosting my numbers too!!!

In the final account, their quality are well published, if you don't want the numbers then stay away and if you do get down there and fill your boots and let those who are getting enjoyment out of them continue to log them.

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 am

Yeah, its no doubt a bit OTT, but if its within the rules, I say let them off. Like most new things, the novelty will wear off after a while.

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:46 am

Just had a look at the map of Youghal, out of curiousity.

Definitely too many, no argument. I then 'wandered' along the N25 and the N71 to see what has been set since my last visit to Cork. Cork city seems underpopulated by caches, or are there just no locations of interest there :P ?