March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

2013 New Years Resolution

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 2013 New Years Resolution

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:12 am

Here's the link to one of the caches : http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC3HGW5
The pub we had the 121212 event in tonight is great for a meet up & food after & is about 5/10 min drive from the car park I believe. : http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 8ff26fe011

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

odies-crew
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by odies-crew » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Just seen all the posts and we meaning - Ste and Rachel got very excited about the walk in the mournes. Understand it is now and why it is down in Wicklow.

The walk in the north is something that we would like to do and as we cannot make it down to the New Year's Resolution Walk and mindful that we do not want to cause any upset with any cacher but can we not arrange a walk in the north. Jackie aka bawnman knows the Mournes like the back of his hand and has took many walking groups up into the Mournes and we are willing to go on a walk with him through the Mournes.

If we have read anything wrong meaning Jackie wasn't going to lead the group sorry to all concerned but Jackie we know you are up to the task and one of the added advantages is you know were ever cache is on the Mournes!!!

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Maybe next year it will be in the north of this island or we could arrange a sister event so we can get as many cachers as possible caching on the same day at the same time.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:27 pm

odies-crew wrote:Understand it is now and why it is down in Wicklow.
It's not in Wicklow, it will be in Dublin, just off the M50.

odies-crew

Post by odies-crew » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Good idea Zoe and Daddy

I know 2 members of the crew would be up for it.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Zoe andDaddy wrote:or we could arrange a sister event so we can get as many cachers as possible caching on the same day at the same time.
Why not have a sister event this year for those that can't travel to Dublin?

Any walk I like to plan properly and usually requires a few visits. So depending how much time I have usually dictates where the event will be. I can't say for sure that the event will be up North next year either.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Not sure if I would get the time to arrange an event it time with work and other commitments, that's why I posted about one for next year. If someone else wants to I am more than happy to help.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:03 pm

I think a Bawnman led walk in the Mournes is a great idea =D> =D> - if it's on another day people could go to both.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

dino

Post by dino » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I think a sister event is a great idea but please, please, please chose the weekend after (or another one) so anyone who wants to attend both can :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:43 pm

100% behind the sister event but as dino said, please do it on another weekend as I'd love to come up to that as well. Even if it is the following weekend :D

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 pm

I have an idea but i'm certain the Irish guys south of the border would hate it!

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:02 am

NYR walk submitted for 12/01/13 for family friendly walk in forestry area close to M50 - more details to follow. Should be less than 2 hours walk, with 7 caches currently on the route.
Up is good!!

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:34 am

Alan not being local - and knowing that the cache is archived so won't be able to find it - how far away is the old Hell fire club cache from this event venue?
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:40 am

Its ok I've found it .
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:26 pm

NYR event page updated with more info (times, coords, etc.) - looking forward to meeting up again (hope this year's resolution lasts a bit longer than the last few #-o )
Up is good!!

dino

Post by dino » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Thinking about travelling down for this by bus. Don't suppose anyone is near either the airport or City Centre that I could cadge a lift in and out from the event with?

dino

Post by dino » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Is the meeting time for the event 11am? Not 100% sure from reading the event page :)

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:27 pm

dino wrote:Thinking about travelling down for this by bus. Don't suppose anyone is near either the airport or City Centre that I could cadge a lift in and out from the event with?
We will be driving through Dublin city centre to get to the event and can give you a lift if you still need one.

Abbey

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:11 pm

PM Sent :mrgreen:

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Due having antediluvian technology (eTrex H with no viable cable connection) and a wish to minimise repetitive strain injury caused to my thumb by clicking endlessly, what caches should I load to my unit?
  • Kilmashogue
  • Bonnie's Walk 1-8
  • Ticknock Trail
  • Three Rock?
  • Clamper's Cache?
  • Any of Louis' Loop?
Also, I have a (twice postponed) appointment to locate the final at Hermitage (http://coord.info/GC3RA8W) in St. Enda's on the way up - anyone care to join me in to find this 'thing' ? I'm thinking about 10am...
Image Image