March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hi all

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
The seeker1872
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi all

Post by The seeker1872 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi all

I'm pretty new to geocaching living in the North Down area and have only found a few so far. My geocaching handle is The Seeker1872. After finding a cache with my daughter I invested in a GPSr and set myself a challenge to fine 365 caches in as many days currently just completed day 4.

I have opened a twitter account and you can follow me @cache_year to follow my challenge.

I also have a blog http://www.theseeker1872.wordpress.com if anyone is interested in reading about my adventures.

I hope to make some new friends through caching and you all seem a friendly bunch.

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Hi all

Post by TXLiz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:37 am

:hi Howdy from Austin, TEXAS .. Happy Caching!
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MunsterFan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:39 am

Welcome to the madness!

MF

dino

Post by dino » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Welcome to the forum :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi

Nice to see you on the forum - I had a quick read at your blog and you really have set yourself a major challenge. I hope you succeed, at least living in North Down with its very high cache density gives you a reason chance of succeeding. After about 6 years of caching I still haven't managed to fill in all the days of the year.

You may eventually make it down Hillsborough and if so I hope you take the time to complete some of my own caches.

Once again - all the best in your future cacheing and I may drop in on your blog now and again to see how your getting on.

The seeker1872

Post by The seeker1872 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome all. I have had 2 cache and dashes the past 2 days as have been very busy with work. I am trying to keep all the C&D's round my area for days like today and go further a field when I can. The long winter nights will be drawing in soon and will pose a problem hopefully more people place caches in my area. I may be in Hilsborough before you know it sarge and if I am have you a recommendation of one of your caches.

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:41 am

Good luck with your challenge. I recognised your. Belfast ones. There are some handy lunchtime ones left but not many

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Been reading your blog. Looking forward to the updates, especially on caches I have yet to find :D

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi - Welcome to the forums - yes I hope you find a few I've had problems with too ..... :lol:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

The seeker1872

Post by The seeker1872 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 am

No problem I am a bit behind with the blog but should be updated with days 5,6 & 7 today just been a busy weekend I have literally picked 3 c&d and signed the logs haven't even logged them all up yet but all should be up to date today. I am cautious about posting spoilers on my blog but want to make it as interesting as possible so word of warning there may be spoilers!!!!

Anyway thank you to all who have read my blog so far I promise to keep it as interesting as possible for everyone reading watch out tonight for the updates.

Jonathanwpurvis

Post by Jonathanwpurvis » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi

Welcome to the forum I gave you a follow on twitter looking forward to the updates

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Welcome to the forum. Have read your blog. Good luck.
=D> =D> =D>

The Casual Geocacher

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Hello :)
Good luck with your challenge!!
Once you've completed your challenge you can go and get this cache ;)

The seeker1872

Post by The seeker1872 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Some motivation there. That could be number 366 to celebrate my achievement if I make it that is.