March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Welcome

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Welcome

Post by mr.-oda » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Welcome

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Welcome & I look forward to finding your caches :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

dino

Post by dino » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Welcome to the forums :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

silver soldier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by silver soldier » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:36 am

In Dublin
There's 1507 active caches -- is there any lists that are ones that celebrate famous Irishmen
List so far is ====
James Joyce = Ulysses
Bono. = bono cache ( more killiney park then the man )
C.s.parnell = Parnell park ( the park then the man )
Bram stroker = Dracula
Robert emmet = let my epitaph be written
Michael Collins = Collins barracks ( more the museum then man)
ALSO

So far I've seen church series and stadium series , James Joyce series , what other series are there
Around Dublin ?????????????
Is bridges over the Liffey a series ? ?????

Any suggestions towards any of these - even a forum that discusses such list or series Cheers
HAPPY CACHING

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:36 am

silver soldier wrote: .. what other series are there around Dublin ? ..
The Firefly series, by abbeyackbar, ranges from Howth to Farmleigh. Some of the originals have been archived but those that remain include some fiendish hides.

Also, Sidetracked could be considered a series, as could the Blackrock Power Trail.

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:30 pm

First series we ever completed around Dublin area was Hezekiah's alphabet one - A is for Arsenal - Z is for Zoo.
Check it out!

silver soldier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by silver soldier » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:08 pm

thanks- have checked out alphabeth series and all bar( A ) seems 2 be alive
A= is archived (which is ironic) is there anyway to bring it back ? or something similar to it just to keep full series goin.

DUBLIN SERIES
so far 1= james joyce series
2= church series
3= sidetrack series
4= blackrock power trail series
5= alphabeth series
6= firefly series
7= stadiums series
8= dodder river ramble series

any more ??????????????
just trying to see whats out there already

silver soldier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by silver soldier » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 pm

the famous irish people list so far

1= bram stroker
2= james joyce
3= michael collins ( barracks)
4= c.s parnell (park)
5= robert emmett
6= bono (park)

any more ????????????? i like the caches that people / history are involved

ps ; is there any forum that are for brain storming -- what locals and visitors might enjoy as caches

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:20 am

How man make a series....... ? Liffey Stroll has 7......

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Geology of the South East.... starting with http://coord.info/GC19HKV

The Three Sisters http://coord.info/GC2FX3P

It's not about the numbers

poldekch
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Post by poldekch » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Welcome everyone on the forums!

poldekch

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:02 am

Welcome poldekch

MF :)

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:27 pm

:hi Howdy from Austin, TX @ poldekch
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

SeanOR
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by SeanOR » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi from Germany. I ("SeanOR") Will be in Ireland in the first week of March with my mother ("EWE&me"), my brother ("GLUBSCHII03") and my father ( the tourist guide) to visit my grandmother. I`m so looking forward to finding a few caches while I`m over. I`m thinking of planting a few too. I`M looking for caches in the east and southeast that are large enough to take Travel Bugs and Trackable`s as I have a collection from caching friends to deposit on my journeys. Does any body know any sutable caches??? :?: :D :?: . It would help when they are frequently visited as a few trackables that I have must travel a long way. I hope to maybe meet a few cachers on my travels. SeanOR. 8)

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:14 pm

I thought Kerry was floating of the coast of Greenland, last I heard LOL ...

Welcome to Geocaching

Bren

(not in Kerry though)

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi SeanOR - Europe's first cache in Bray is a good bet for you (GC43) - nice and big and gets lots of visitors :D

SeanOR
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by SeanOR » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Cool. :D Thanks for the tip . will check it out.
Any more tips will be greatfully accepted. 8)

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Try this one:
http://coord.info/GC3V2PB
and its 40 other brothers & sisters ;-)

SeanOR
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by SeanOR » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:46 am

Hi Doug.G . Many thanks for your tips. will be checking out the "Day at the Races" caches
as I`ll be staying for afew days very near by.
Keep the tips comming. This will be one hell of a trip.
( must put alot of extra batteries in my case. what do they kost now in Ireland?)

silver soldier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by silver soldier » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:09 am

does anyone know whats the record in ireland is for different icons on the same day
i know theres a 6 challenge and some have got that but is there any person got higher ????/