March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Caches on OPW property

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

albertw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Caches on OPW property

Post by albertw » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi,

I got a nice email this morning from the OPW giving me permission to put a cache on one of their sites. Granted its a micro, reachable from a public path, and not on a sensitive site.

If you are considering placing a cache on OPW property and want the contact/email I sent to try and get permission feel free to drop me a pm.

Cheers,
~Al

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Caches on OPW property

Post by beefy4605 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Sorry maybe I'm being thick here but who or what is OPW?
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Office of Public Works... bit like the National Trust if I am not mistaken, they look after all historic sites and buildings

dino

Post by dino » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Well done Albert. They have traditionally been difficult to deal with!

Posted via Tapatalk on Android
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Caches on OPW property

Post by donnacha » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:46 pm

I have a cache on OPW property in Kilmacurragh Arboretum.

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:56 pm

I need some help with caches located on OPW grounds. I will PM albertw if is still OK to do so.

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Just got an e-mail from OPW at Castletown in Celbridge :

====================================================

I have considered the matter and consulted OPW colleagues regarding other OPW sites.

I have decided that I cannot authorize the placing of geocaches on the Castletown lands. We cannot take responsibility for them or any injuries or accidents (however unlikely) that might occur to users as a result of placing the caches on Castletown lands. I understand that there are caches at other OPW sites but these are not authorized.

Sorry I can't be of help.

============================================================

Fair enough .....

Any suggestions ?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Hmm, well I think that's pretty definitive. How about a multi with intermediate locations in the house, but the cache located outside the grounds?

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Bit of a reach for them to say other caches on OPW sites are not authorised do they have an extensive list?

Try your local politician, you are after all dealing with a civil/public servant and sometimes they need a little push in the right direction to remind them they are there to serve the public.

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Fjon wrote:Hmm, well I think that's pretty definitive. How about a multi with intermediate locations in the house, but the cache located outside the grounds?
Thanks .... good idea ... I will think about multi within next few days.

@ MunsterFan - thanks I don`t like politician ...

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Who does, but public employees like them less as they can make things difficult for them by asking questions.

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Good news! OPW gave me permission for cache located near Matnooth in Co. Kildare. Stay tuned for publishing new cache ;)

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:52 am

tramyard wrote:Just got an e-mail from OPW at Castletown in Celbridge :

====================================================

I have considered the matter and consulted OPW colleagues regarding other OPW sites.

I have decided that I cannot authorize the placing of geocaches on the Castletown lands. We cannot take responsibility for them or any injuries or accidents (however unlikely) that might occur to users as a result of placing the caches on Castletown lands. I understand that there are caches at other OPW sites but these are not authorized.

Sorry I can't be of help.

============================================================

Fair enough .....

Any suggestions ?
You might have already responded to them by now but here's my twopence worth.
I would have replied to address their concerns and to clarify re taking responsibility for the caches "or any injuries or accidents (however unlikely) that might occur to users as a result of placing the caches on Castletown lands"
I'd let them know there would be a disclaimer on the cache page which addresses their concerns.
http://www.geocaching.com/about/disclaimer.aspx that says "Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache." I could also add that the following could be stated on the cache page: You undertake to seek out this cache at your own risk.
Neither the cache owner, (insert name here), or the landmanagers of Castletown lands will be responsible for any accident, injury or loss to people or their belongings while locating the cache. Please exercise due caution.

In relation to their concern about taking responsibility for the cache, the disclaimer states "Individual geocaches are owned by the person(s) who physically placed the geocache and/or submitted the geocache listing to geocaching.com." and that responsibility and maintenance of the cache lies with you the cache owner.

I also think it really depends who you get talking to about these things, you could always ask the person could they recommend somewere/someone to contact to discuss the matter further, who may have the authority to authorize such a thing.

Of course Fjon's idea for a multicache eliminates the hassle.

Abbey
(of AbbeyAckbar)

dino

Post by dino » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:04 pm

I also like Fjon's idea....useful in many locations.

OPW are aware of geocaching at a HO level and Groundspeak were contacted by them to archive a number of caches that they were concerned could cause security issues on state visits.

I have a contact email address for anyone looking to establish permission for an OPW site but I don't want to make it publicly available until we have an official process for dealing with them. Also he isn't great at answering emails!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Any idea what time frame people got a reply or answer from OPW?
Sent an email 20th Sept and no reply at all......
Going to re-send but just wondering how long it took for others to get some kind of an answer.....

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:51 am

Panic over - got a reply pronto this morning to the re-send - will email you Dino

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:01 am

And I think it's good news :lol: :lol: :lol:

dino

Post by dino » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Cool 8-)

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Took me a while but finally got permission from OPW manager in St Endas Park and Pearse Museum. We met him on site to agree locations and to identify an existing cache as he wanted to advise grounds staff of their whereabouts so as not have them dumped. Took a lot of emails and some phone calls but it was worth it in the end!

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:47 am

Good work! =D> =D>