March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

New Years Resolution Event 2012 - 14/01/12

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

New Years Resolution Event 2012 - 14/01/12

Post by donnacha » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Another year goes by....

I was thinking maybe Glendalough this year. Post any suggestions or routes if you have any.

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark ... ls2009.pdf
http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark ... ckPage.pdf

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Geocaching Ireland New Years Resolution Event 2012

Post by Daithi2004 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:07 pm

I presume it will be on 7th Jan 2012.

A good route would be the Blue route which takes you up to the Spinc and then turns back into the forest. I have done this walk with a group of beginner walkers. It is marked on the map and also mentioned in the brochure. I am up for this. Hopefully the weather won’t be bad as last year. =D> :D

The Casual Geocacher

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:21 pm

I love a good plan :D
What date are you thinking of Donnacha?
Also have you any of these routes in particular in mind?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Obviously I 'd love to do Spinc & The Wicklow way, but if may put people off as it's 11K.

Realistically, I think either Spink (5K) or Derrybawn Woodland Trail (8K). Spinc would be my preference. If we decide to go ahead with Glendalough, I need to get a permit for the event.

After the walk, we'll head off to Lynhams.

http://www.lynhamsoflaragh.ie/

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:55 pm

May be a bit to far to travel to. Especially if I were to break my leg again.

What kind of terrain is involved? Is it marked trails or defined paths or is it cross irregular ground? Under what ground conditions might the event be called off?

I don't mean to be negative but the broken leg put me out of action for 3 months.

:D

One of the 'Ramble' routes might be ok.

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:07 pm

I vote for the Spinc...

The Casual Geocacher

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:36 am

Sounds good, nice walks. Spinc is good, but is always very packed during the summer.
Most of the walks around here are on marked trails, some railway sleepers. Worst I can think of is one section that can at times get boggy.
I've even seen one (crazy) person up here with a buggy!

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:38 am

Not knowing the area I will leave route selection to those who know and can comment on it with authority . The Spinc and Glenaelo Valley ( White Route ) looks good - any reason that it would not be suitable for a group of cachers in January ?
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:01 pm

beefy4605 wrote:any reason that it would not be suitable for a group of cachers in January ?
Thought 9K might be a bit too much for people with kids etc. I don't mind and will go with the flow.

Now, I know some people take offence when there's no caches "enroute" (loads around Wicklow) but I am not sure any can be placed because we are within the National Park. I might go and check out a few of the routes this weekend.

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:10 am

Forgot about that Donnacha. There is only only called the Spinc but if we go with the short route, it would be covered. Back to square one.

The Casual Geocacher

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:00 pm

I actually think the Spink is too short. I did it in about an hour. I also did the Derrybawn woodland trail which took about an hour and twenty, so it is possible the two could be done together. The Spinc and Glenaelo Valley trail is going to be shut I think. A section collapsed on Friday, and I wouldn't say it will be fixed by then, but you never know.

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:42 pm

beefy4605 wrote:Not knowing the area I will leave route selection to those who know and can comment on it with authority . The Spinc and Glenaelo Valley ( White Route ) looks good - any reason that it would not be suitable for a group of cachers in January ?

I personally have no problem with that route. Also, there a few more geocaches on that route but there are some bits of it that might not suit some cachers who are not (hill)walkers. But, as I say, I would be happy with that route because you get to see the bueaty of the lakes...

The Casual Geocacher

Ericles

Post by Ericles » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:27 pm

W00t! There's a chance I'll be back in the area in time for the event. Glendalough was at the top of my list for places I didn't get a chance to visit so that would work out well. I would actually be excited by a longer hike. I'm not familiar with the tradition of the event though so I'll just go with the flow. :)

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Sorry to Hijack, surely they are not sending you on a trip during the holidays?

Ericles

Post by Ericles » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:18 pm

That would be my first weekend back in Ireland. Or I'll be a week too late. Not sure yet. And stop calling me Shirley!
(And now back to the topic at hand...) Where was this held last year?

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:27 pm

this was last years event or what happened at the end of it anyways

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Yes, I was in the starring role! :oops:

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:48 pm

I was there too. You can see my at the last fading shot of the casuallity and three of us standing to the left of him.... That was my first event......

The Casual Geocacher

Ericles

Post by Ericles » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Accidents happen - and it's a very good thing if they happen when you have friends to drag you out or call in the lift. :D

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:07 pm

:ot

Anyway enough about last years Ice Capades and back on topic to this year's event!

Has the car parking issue improved any in the Wicklow Mountain region? Especially for those of us with NI Reg cars?
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage