March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Stepping Down For a Few Months

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Stepping Down For a Few Months

Post by Croaghan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:07 pm

Due to work commitments and less spare time I'm having to step down for a few months as reviewer.

Thankfully Graham/Inishanier has agreed to carry the role of reviewing for all of Ireland on his own very capable shoulders so at least we won't have to depend on bringing a floating reviewer in from outside of the country that isn't fully up to speed with all of our local requirements.

A huge thanks to Graham for doing this and I know everyone will support him 100% in his now extended role.

I will be disabling my croaghan gmail account so any queries on cache placements or guideline queries should go to Graham.

I will still be hanging around in here and on Facebook and hopefully will still find enough time to attend the occasional event so I won't be too far away in case anyone starts to miss me too much 8)
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Stepping Down For a Few Months

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Good luck Niall - Don't stay away too long. :cry:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MunsterFan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:36 pm

Best of =D> luck

Mental Medic

Post by Mental Medic » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Best of luck Niall, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll miss torturing you :twisted:
Seriously though the best of luck and thanks for all your help =D> =D> =D>

Bootle

Post by Bootle » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 pm

Best of luck Niall and thanks for all the hard work!
hello...

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:36 pm

Good luck Niall, hope work isn't too much.
And good luck Graham too, won't be too easy to do it alone.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Good man Niall, best of luck!

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:56 pm

ah croghan twill be lonely without you but I'm sure you won't dissapear altogether! I take it dino will still be caching now and then! best of luck to graham too.....

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:22 pm

:-k :-k :-k
Wait a minute, wait a minute.......this sounds very familiar...another April fools? (in August!)
How does the rhyme go again, oh yeah "April fools day is dead and gone, and you're the fool to carry it on"
ok, ok, if you aren't messing (this time!) best of luck, miss you already and don't forget to come back!

Abbey

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:04 am

Best of luck, Niall - take it easy and see you soon!
Up is good!!

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Get back here

Inishanier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Inishanier » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:21 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence Niall! :mrgreen:

Normal service should continue as per normal although it may take a few days to get your cache reviewed instead of the quick service you've grown used to recently! So please be patient and bear with me!

Apart from this weekend! I'm away until Sunday evening! :wink:

If you have any questions or queries feel free to ask either in the "Ask the Reviewer" thread on here or contact me through my profile. All I would ask is if you send me an email through the Groundspeak email BOT please make sure that you check the box that says "I want to send my email address along with this message." It makes it harder for me to respond to you if you don't check this box.

Cheers

Graham
Volunteer Reviewer for Ireland

Caching as wildfowler

Reviewing as Inishanier and GeoAwareIRL

Check out [Knowledge Books] for additional tips and answers to frequently asked questions.

odies-crew

Post by odies-crew » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:36 pm

We'll miss you Niall and thank you for all your help. :( Hopefully it wont be to long before your back. :wink:

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi Niall - hope you can find sometime for a well deserved rest away from what is the mad house of GC. But I guess there are lots of things between work and family to keep you busy.

Robbie