March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Talk about a power trail...

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Talk about a power trail...

Post by Spark_ie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Just had a proper look at the trail ... it's ridiculous, it goes on for ever ! Caches on both sides of the road..

I roughly counted 110km of road !!!

That's just insane.. THe guy has only 2 finds, (one event and one mega).. And the event was his anyway ! And now he/she has placed 640 caches !

Niall - whats the set up with this power trail ? surely not allowed?

dino

Post by dino » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Spark_ie wrote:Niall - whats the set up with this power trail ? surely not allowed?
Technically there's nothing in the guidelines to prevent it any more but I don't see something like that happening here [-o<

This is the perfect opportunity for the local community to make their feelings known but despite what Donny says I expect the number freaks will be louder than the complainers :(
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:59 pm

I couldn't think of anything more boring :?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:02 pm

Boring is an understatement. On the subject of boring I think it is a factor to be considered when placing caches regardless of power trails!! :rant :rant

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:08 pm

If we say we don't want it somebody will do one just because the rules say they can. Once it's published the "number freaks" will log a few finds on them thereby "validating " the "need" for a power trail.
If it was a 640 stage multi where you only get 1 find at the end how many would do it?
If I was visiting the area I'd like to think there were more interesting caches than one every 615 feet behind a post on the side of the road.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:45 pm

beefy4605 wrote:If we say we don't want it somebody will do one just because the rules say they can. Once it's published the "number freaks" will log a few finds on them thereby "validating " the "need" for a power trail.
If it was a 640 stage multi where you only get 1 find at the end how many would do it?
If I was visiting the area I'd like to think there were more interesting caches than one every 615 feet behind a post on the side of the road.
probably not that more interesting things to see in the desert. still would only do it if I was in the area and needed 640 peep breaks

glastocat

Post by glastocat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:56 pm

That wouldn't appeal to me at all, although it does make me feel that I'm a bit pathetic to have not yet reached 100 finds in a year and a half! :D

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Ugh, spotted another one - it's even worse!

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.a ... -115.25925

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Mother of god

Gotta hand it to the dedicated person who put them out though. Imagine filling in 1,021 submission pages and physically putting 1,021 caches out there.

Utter rubbish though but some sod will get 1,021 FTFs.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:07 pm

What nonsense.
Shouldn't be allowed.

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:41 am

What's the difference between 1021 crap caches in USA and 1 crap cache in Ireland :conf , and there's a few of them popping up recently.

It all comes back to horses for courses and the individuals state of mind at any one point in time - there are days when I wouldn't walk out to the cross roads to pick up an uninteresting cache while on other days when I feel like racking up the numbers they bother me, in fact the complete opposite, I get more than a little frustrated if the cache doesn't jump out at me.

I just wished there was some other criteria that I can base my judgement on other than difficulty and terrain so when I feel like being stimulated I know which caches to head for and which ones to leave until I want a day for the numbers. What is putting me off caching more than anything is getting both of those different types of caches wrong. I know some people have tried to set up a rating system by this can get very personal if you rate a cache low and offend the placer. It would be far better if the placer had some way to rate the interest of their own cache. :roll:

Here endith the grumpy old man rant [-o<

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:00 am

All 1021 caches seem to be on this road too. Can you imagine the tedium involved in stopping every 200m along here?
Somebody broke the world record of number of caches in a day with these. I believe they something like 1200, which is less than 2 minutes per cache. I think that would put you off caching for life.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+37%C2%B ... 03,,0,16.2

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:07 am

Looks a fairly desolate place to cache.
But ... half a chance they haven't been muggled ;)

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Reading some of the logs makes it sound like a place to visit, especially by night.

But the prospect of doing over 1000 in 3 days, getting a flat bed truck to jump off and back on, having your 'special' stamp made up to 'sign' the log, and then having to update each log webpage ... the appeal of power caching escapes me !

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:18 pm

fitzet wrote:getting a flat bed truck to jump off and back on
Sounds like step aerobics.

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:44 pm

Holy crap - I always wanted to drive that stretch of highway (Watched too many episodes of X-files.... :lol: ) but now I just couldn't do it without stopping for a cache every so often.... I did like the section where they are arranged in the shape of an Alien head though! ;)

OTP

Post by OTP » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:25 pm

I'd probably do the head just to have a smiley faced alien but the rest would be worth missing.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:33 pm

Actually I'm surprised there isnt more art done with the mapping pages.

If I was to make a power trail (I wont be ;) ) I'd make traditionals spell out "HELLO" or maybe a swear word.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:02 pm

THE_Chris wrote:Actually I'm surprised there isnt more art done with the mapping pages.
How about a giant smiley?

Or a giant frown?

OTP

Post by OTP » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:28 pm

How about DNFing all the caches in the frown? :evil: :twisted: