March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Whats your favorite type of cache

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
andymacmyc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Whats your favorite type of cache

Post by andymacmyc » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:49 am

OK I'm pretty new still to the caching game compared to most on here that have been doing it for some time now. I have a few caches planned for around my area (North Down). I have currently a cache ready and the location chosen I am just waiting for permission from the land owner so I can get it placed.

I plan to place a few more over the next month or so and just thought I would ask what is your favorite type of cache and what attributes you most like to see in a cache.

I really trying to get some ideas for my next couple of caches and would truly appreciate the help.

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Whats your favorite type of cache

Post by parkmoy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:56 am

Any well hidden or unusual cache with accurate coordinates placed somewhere scenic or interesting that is appropriate to its surroundings. For example I detest micros/nanos hidden in a forest, where a 5 gall oil drum could easily be concealed, unless there is a compelling reason to do so:D

cerbera147

Post by cerbera147 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:19 pm

parkmoy wrote:Any well hidden or unusual cache with accurate coordinates placed somewhere scenic or interesting that is appropriate to its surroundings. For example I detest micros/nanos hidden in a forest, where a 5 gall oil drum could easily be concealed, unless there is a compelling reason to do so:D
What you said =D>

If you know you can trust the coords makes it much more fun :D

I generally cache with my kids so obviously we are biased to the larger caches with trades, etc. Nano's are good where no other option is available but if you can get a larger cache there go for it.

And yes, somewhere of interest is always good. Either area of natural beauty or just plain interesting :)

I placed my first cache last week; I am filled with joy every time I get an email telling me someone has found it :D

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:25 pm

I agree with Parkmoy and would add not stuck in a hedge along a road just for the sake of sticking it in a hedge along a road. Also nanos stuck on a sign post outside someones house for no rhyme or reason other than it is near the owners house.
Just keep in mind the generally high standard of caching in Ireland and maintain that standard even if you should log a few more before placing. Good first step in asking as you have done.
Good luck and I look forward to some good caches from you

andymacmyc

Post by andymacmyc » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:36 pm

I know I wont be sticking a box in a hedge just because I can because personally I'm not a favorite of that type of cache. I also find there is a lot of creative caches out there that I would like to do something similar to, as when I find one with a real imaginative container I love it but I dont want to just down right copy any of them so I have been wrecking my brains. My teachers and Mum always used to tell me I had some imagination but I dont know where its gone, if anyone comes across it let me know.

I just thought it would be good to get everyones opinion of what they feel constitutes a good cache and work from there. Thanks everyone for the replys so far.

dino

Post by dino » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Its easy to say what the least favourite type is but I'll hold off ;)

I particularly like Multis. Especially ones that take you to 3 or 4 interesting spots in their own right and a decent sized, well located box at the end that is easy to find. To me a lot of the pleasure is getting there rather than finding the cache.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

andymacmyc

Post by andymacmyc » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Well my first cache I am waiting permission for takes you to somewhere that isnt very well know around my local area, its not a long walk but a nice walk with a nice view at the end. A lot of people have caches in the good areas that are local to me so I think I will have to try and search out some more.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:47 pm

I love finding caches that someone has gone to some work with. Mournes Rambler imo has exceeded anyone else in this area. Some of the ideas he came up with are great. There are also others who have tried using their noggin which is to be applauded. So this can range from any size but is always appreciated no matter where it is hidden.

Unlike the majority of cache I find in my area. Camo'd 35mm cases in pine trees or LPC's this is purely a numbers game which is not interesting and puts my off a lot of the time.

andymacmyc

Post by andymacmyc » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:57 pm

Personally I prefer a box that is placed somewhere interesting but each to their own for instance my friend prefers nanos in urban areas. I have loved the Mournes Ramblers cache 2 of my favorite are end of the greenway and at geos harbour.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:57 am

I prefer a series of caches that take you along interesting walks or cycles. Actual containers don't matter but I prefer if I don't have to search the middle of every bramble bush in sight.

niallk1234

Post by niallk1234 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:04 pm

medic143 wrote:I prefer a series of caches that take you along interesting walks or cycles. Actual containers don't matter but I prefer if I don't have to search the middle of every bramble bush in sight.
Too true, I bear the marks of searches like that!! :lol:
As regards to hiding a cache, I'm trying to figure out a half decent spot around me that doesn't have a cache already, which is quite difficult if you live in the middle of Windsockerland like me!! Might have to venture a bit further I think!

LordSoth

Post by LordSoth » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Hmmmmm ... good question!

I enjoy pretty much all caches TBH - even small nanos. For me it's the fact that the person has either purchased or constructed a particular type of cache, chosen a spot to locate it & has put the time into submitting it for publishing.

As in all areas of life there are some folk who excel at this, in their creativity for the cache container &/or the location of the cache.

I also particularly enjoy those caches with a good description that either take me somewhere I've never been, or would never have otherwise visited, had I not been caching, or those that teach me something I didn't know about that location.

Every week that I'm caching I see or learn something new - long may it continue!!!

Vive la geocache!

John 8)

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:52 am

I like doing caches that haven't been done in ages.
And I like finding caches that have a heap of DNFs on them.
Cache size - I prefer boxes cause for some reason Mrs F can't find them and I can.
I used to not like micros and nanos cause I couldn't find them as quick as her but I've got the hang of it.
The kids prefer a box but rarely want to swap anything.
CheekyCheetah loves nanos.
As for where ... anywhere that isn't in ivy strewn Windsocker land!! :roll:

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Oh and yes definitely good Co-ordinates.

Just went for a FTF hunt yesterday afternoon. Co-ords had me searching around a little lake side cottage with GZ in the cottage and the description was vague except saying it was easy and the cache is "within" . Got home logged the DNF and then checked back last night to find the CO had edited the description with new co-ords just in there and encrypted a hint telling you not to look in peoples property.
I sent them a message telling them if they don't want people looking on peoples property they would be better to change the co-ordinates on the listing. So it was retracted and republished again this morning.

So time wasted due to the number 1 principle of the game 'Co-ordinates' robbed of a FTF adds to the pain.

andymacmyc

Post by andymacmyc » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks everyone for all the replys, I have decided I am going to put out 2 boxes. At the minute I am waiting on permission from the land owner for one and I am currently preparing the 2nd, I will have to go to the site and get some co-ords and find a nice spot to hide. The 2nd will require permission as well so hopefully it wont take as long as the 1st cache as I have been waiting 4 weeks now and I'm not a patient person lol. :evil:

I have also thought of a series that I am intending in doing and could turn out to be a rather large series, this series will feature mostly micro caches but there is a goal and a purpose for it, any permission needed for any of the caches in this series may be a little easier and quicker to obtain.

Watch this space

Edit to add: finally got permission for my cache on the way home from work and it gas been published and all woohoo.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 am

Donmoore wrote:and encrypted a hint telling you not to look in peoples property.
:| :roll: The things people put in the hint! But that deserves a thread of its own.

My favourite caches are ones that I find after solving a difficult puzzle.

My least favourite caches are the difficult puzzles I haven't been able to solve yet. Especially if they are near my home co-ordinates, taunting me every day...

It's a very fine line that separates the two!

SuperDave_GPS
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by SuperDave_GPS » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi everyone.
I just joined this forum, and this is my 1st post (reply) here.
Thanks for having me on board.

For me, personally, I MUCH prefer a 10 Kilometer walk through a nice scenic trail with lots of interesting things to see and take photos of. I get much more enjoyment out of finding 1 or 2 caches along a long hike, as compared to 10 urban caches within 1 Kilometer, such as "skirt-lifters". To me, geocaching should take you to amazing and incredible places that you would normally not see if it weren't for geocaching.

My 1800th find was along the cliffs on the South side of Howth (North-East side of Dublin), and to me, that trail along the cliffs with all the incredible scenery is what geocaching is all about.

AMIATs (Another Micro In A Tree) are somewhat of an annoyance, but oh well.. Skirt-Lifters (the liftable cover at the base of a street lamp) is one of the most uncreative caches out there, but useful to get your numbers up to reach that special centennial milestone find.

I've always tried to make my centennial finds special, except my 1900th was just an AMIAT. :o(
Hoping to find a few more so my 2000th will be while I'm visiting Dublin very soon.

Thanks for granting me a GI Forum account.
SuperDave_GPS from Ontario Canada.