March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Welcome

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

miah505
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Welcome

Post by miah505 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:08 am

Could be Dino! I think us 'newbies' will have to get working on hiding a few more Donegal caches. :lol: :idea:
Must be the quality of caches placed by the longest serving active cacher....whoever that is?

TeamHousty
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by TeamHousty » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:43 pm

dino wrote:Must be the quality of caches placed by the longest serving active cacher....whoever that is? :-
your not that old!! are you ???

perhaps it's just the quantity of my easy caches that does it !!! :wink:

whatever it is - welcome to all new Donegal cachers :hi

i think a wee Donegal event in a few weeks time my be coming on - just to meet all :wink:
miah505 wrote:Could be Dino! I think us 'newbies' will have to get working on hiding a few more Donegal caches. :lol: :idea:
get hiding, i'm fed up travelling an hour just to get one :? - and don't forget the three golden rules - quality, quality, quality and the local guidelines of course

dino

Post by dino » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:09 pm

TeamHousty wrote: i think a wee Donegal event in a few weeks time my be coming on - just to meet all :wink:
Sounds good to me :mrgreen:
TeamHousty wrote:get hiding, i'm fed up travelling an hour just to get one :? - and don't forget the three golden rules - quality, quality, quality and the local guidelines of course
Yeah, I wonder what happened to mrmac's plans :?: :?: :?: :?:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:54 pm

TeamHousty wrote:get hiding, i'm fed up travelling an hour just to get one :?
Only an hour??? Sheer luxury, that! :roll: :roll:
Up is good!!

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:25 am

Hezekiah wrote:Only an hour??? Sheer luxury, that! :roll: :roll:
What are you talking about?
You can get to Belfast in about that time!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:22 pm

Sounds good. Go for it. I have a few there on my to do list

miah505

Post by miah505 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 am

Got a couple of locations in mind for new caches. Need to find containers that don't cost me €6.00 each. :roll: Any ideas?

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:04 am

I have a few you can use. :wink:

I work in Letterkenny, most days - drop me a PM if you want to meet somewhere.

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:05 am

miah505 wrote:Got a couple of locations in mind for new caches. Need to find containers that don't cost me €6.00 each. :roll: Any ideas?
Looads of ideas......and loads of containers, from nano to ammo, and all at rock bottom prices! I'm in the process of setting up an on-line store (it's not live just yet), so if you want to pm me (or ring me on 086 8592969 ) and we can talk.
Up is good!!

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Frezeluberz wrote:
Hezekiah wrote:Only an hour??? Sheer luxury, that! :roll: :roll:
What are you talking about?
You can get to Belfast in about that time!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Sssshh!! :oops:
Up is good!!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Hezekiah wrote:[quote="
Looads of ideas......and loads of containers, from nano to ammo, and all at rock bottom prices! I'm in the process of setting up an on-line store (it's not live just yet), so if you want to pm me (or ring me on 086 8592969 ) and we can talk.
Keep us upto date on the website Alan.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Blue Jay 59 wrote:
Keep us upto date on the website Alan.
For those that attended the Friday event in Cork our geocaching entrepeneur was handing our promotional merchandise (a pencil) emboldened with the new web site address - geocachingireland.ie. It's not live yet but you can get a flavour of what he's going to stock. =D>

I have been paid a gratuity (one pencil) for making the above statement. :|

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:44 pm

liking the logo - very cool - would look great on stash notes etc

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:24 pm

welcoming the second of the medics to the asylum Our newest member Mental Medic? good going John a nice even number of members here at 200 now!

Mental Medic

Post by Mental Medic » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks for that Barry :)
I think I'm becoming addicted :D
Many congratulations on reaching your landmark 400th find

ClannTeam

Post by ClannTeam » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:21 am

Hello all.

I'm very new to all this but have taken the plunge and placed a few caches already.

Looking forward to joining in now and again on here - I have a couple of questions already that I'll post as soon as I've found my way around.

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Welcome to the forum ClannTeam :hi

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:20 pm

:hi Howdy Howdy from Austin, TX
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Hello,

Tramyard here from Celbridge.
My first post here.
Just started to have fun with geocaching.

Regards.

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Good to have you on board!

MF