March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

2014 Ireland Mega

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

Zoe andDaddy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 2014 Ireland Mega

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:29 am

Could we not to the two mega's maybe not in the same place but one on the Saturday and one on the Sunday. If the two venues are not too far apart you could use the same stuff for both. I'm sure two mega's in one weekend would attract the numbers we need.

Original A1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Original A1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:58 pm

OK, so I read the thread this morning and as a newbie have had to wait for verification, so have probably forgotten most of my thoughts at the time, but here's my tuppence worth:

Someone commented that they didn't think folk would travel from the UK to an Irish Mega as they didn't come to an event previously. Now, I'm only one cacher and perhaps therefore not representative, but I'd certainly be interested in coming over from Scotland. My guess is when this previous event was held a few years ago, you didn't have anything like the number of cachers around as there are now and by 2013 or 2014, there will be even more people on board, thereby raising the likelihood of more interest.

I've just attended my first Mega in Perth and there were a lot of folk from all over the world. The general consensus was that it was a Big Hit; I claim absolutely no credit for that as I wasn't on the committee (having only joined in Feb 09 when it was all set up). However, I know the committee members quite well and my understanding is that the final figures were about 1300 odd - not bad, I'm sure you'll agree.

(I'm over-running on characters - didn't realise the post was THAT long! To be continued...)

Original A1

Post by Original A1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Part II:

Someone hinted that Groundspeak aren't so fond of Megas. Well Jeremy Irish himself came to the Perth Mega, and to a number of the sub-events, and seemed pretty positive about the experience. If you could persuade him to come along, especially working around his name somehow, that would add weight to your event...!

My personal feeling is that if you were associated with the UK Megas, that would enable you to dilute how many you did over the years (finance and time commitments seem to be justifiable concerns, as they are to the other Mega countries). I embrace the Emerald Isle as part of the British Isles and think that the caching community as a whole would be heartened to see a unity for the common caching good, rather than perhaps perceiving a "them and us" mentality. If an Irish Mega were to be in 2013/2014 away from the UK Megas, presumably that would mean there would be an English, Welsh or Scottish Mega in direct competition, and that would pose more of a risk to both events.
(TBC... gee, this is a small word count!)

Original A1

Post by Original A1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Part III:

Someone else suggested St Patrick's Day/Weekend as a great time to hold the Mega. As far as I can recall, this doesn't coincide with the school holidays (presumably it's an Irish holiday though?), and my worry would be that the weather at that time of year would be less predictable/people would be more likely to spend the time with their families - fine if they all cache, but not so fine if not. Even if the weather is great on that particular weekend, coming out of winter, a lot of the ground conditions are not going to be so dry/compact as if you held it in the summer holidays.

Just as a final thought - a contingent of Fifers went over to Dublin in February. I think they had a blast; they found it reasonably easy to get organised, as have I when I've been over for other things in my pre-caching life. So long as you don't force us all to travel on Mr O'Leary's airline, I think you could really have a fantastic event. GO FOR IT!!!!!

8)

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:50 pm

still no one coming forward to organise it folks.

So I will open a new thread for that very reason and this one can be kept for the ideas.

batsgonemad

Post by batsgonemad » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:59 pm

I would step up, but logistically im in the wrong location and that is frustrating, as all im reading in these posts is a whole lot of negativity(mostly)

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:11 pm

batsgonemad wrote:I would step up, but logistically im in the wrong location and that is frustrating, as all im reading in these posts is a whole lot of negativity(mostly)
and thats a negative comment from you too Tim. How are you in the wrong location? you get all over the place

batsgonemad

Post by batsgonemad » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:18 pm

No its not negative, its just the reality of it, im busy Monday to Saturday, and have no time to arrange a pissup in a brewary. So to arrange something like this needs a great deal more commitment than i have the time to give

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 am

But I agree with O A1 that it really needs to be the only one in the British Isles to try and draw the required crowd.

This is the kind of information that needs to be listened to (that of people connected to other mega's) its all fine and dandy having ideas of green beer and shamrocks but there is a very serious side to staging this and ideas like this would be good somewhere down the line, they are really not what's required now.

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:19 pm

The UK has had 3 Megas - Harrogate , Weston SMare, and Perth . Wales is up for it next year .Thats 4 UK megas held /in the pipeline and probably another one before a Mega is held in Ireland. If we hold it as the sixth UK Mega it's old - Mainland cachers will think - "I've been to 1/2/3/4/5 of these already and why would I travel across the Irish sea for another ?"
Hold it as the "FIRST Irish Mega" - it's fresh new and different . Thats also why I sugested the change of event icon - its different - it's something you won't get unles you come to Ireland and attend their mega.
Bottom line - its about numbers - if we do this it has to be different . What has worked for the UK would work for us but would it draw enough people ? We have to provide what people want and the more we provide thats different and unique the more cachers worldwide and not just the UK will sit up and think " I really really REALLY MUST attend that.

St Patrick's week - in my honest opinion - no . A mega isn't just one event - it's a week long series of events . Again you have to maximise your options and it would have to be planned around the English / Scottish/ Welsh school holidays. That opens it up to families - bottom line - more chance for bums on seats.

Finally the Dublin / Belfast / where to hold it question.
Anywhere but Belfast or Dublin . Whats Irelands biggest selling point - the green grass , the countryside the fresh air. Are you seriously telling me there isn't somewhere outside of these 2 suburban sprawls that could hold an event for up to 2000 people? Pick a senic area of Ireland Wicklow / Galway / Donegal / Mournes /North Coast . What about a country house/ estate/even a race course.Think about this "Irelands First Mega at Slane Castle " for example -tell me thats not exciting.You've got history , scenery, road, rail and air links and somewhere thats used to putting on events.

If we plan a Mega along the lines of what has gone before it will fail - not because what has gone before is bad but because it has been done already . If it is special ,different,fresh and unique it will work .
What do the rest of you all think?
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:21 pm

beefy4605 wrote:The UK has had 3 Megas - Harrogate , Weston SMare, and Perth . Wales is up for it next year .Thats 4 UK megas held /in the pipeline and probably another one before a Mega is held in Ireland. If we hold it as the sixth UK Mega it's old - Mainland cachers will think - "I've been to 1/2/3/4/5 of these already and why would I travel across the Irish sea for another ?"
Hold it as the "FIRST Irish Mega" - it's fresh new and different . Thats also why I sugested the change of event icon - its different - it's something you won't get unles you come to Ireland and attend their mega.
Bottom line - its about numbers - if we do this it has to be different . What has worked for the UK would work for us but would it draw enough people ? We have to provide what people want and the more we provide thats different and unique the more cachers worldwide and not just the UK will sit up and think " I really really REALLY MUST attend that.

St Patrick's week - in my honest opinion - no . A mega isn't just one event - it's a week long series of events . Again you have to maximise your options and it would have to be planned around the English / Scottish/ Welsh school holidays. That opens it up to families - bottom line - more chance for bums on seats.

Finally the Dublin / Belfast / where to hold it question.
Anywhere but Belfast or Dublin . Whats Irelands biggest selling point - the green grass , the countryside the fresh air. Are you seriously telling me there isn't somewhere outside of these 2 suburban sprawls that could hold an event for up to 2000 people? Pick a senic area of Ireland Wicklow / Galway / Donegal / Mournes /North Coast . What about a country house/ estate/even a race course.Think about this "Irelands First Mega at Slane Castle " for example -tell me thats not exciting.You've got history , scenery, road, rail and air links and somewhere thats used to putting on events.

If we plan a Mega along the lines of what has gone before it will fail - not because what has gone before is bad but because it has been done already . If it is special ,different,fresh and unique it will work .
What do the rest of you all think?
thumbs up from me on all the above

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:36 pm

Slane sounds good.

Whats yer mans name that owns it/lives in it?
I'd say he'd have no problem with us environment-loving litter-picking nerdy-types hanging out on his lawn for a few days.

They're open for business too...
http://www.slanecastle.ie/concerts-events-ireland.aspx

I'd hate to think 'how much?' though.

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:50 pm

johnrm wrote:Slane sounds good.

Whats yer mans name that owns it/lives in it?
I'd say he'd have no problem with us environment-loving litter-picking nerdy-types hanging out on his lawn for a few days.

They're open for business too...
http://www.slanecastle.ie/concerts-events-ireland.aspx

I'd hate to think 'how much?' though.

he might give a discount considering its 500 and not 50000

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:30 pm

easy tigers :P Slane was an example to show that it could be somewhere other than Dublin/ Belfast. I think a city venue makes it just the same as Perth / Harrogate / Weston SM or any large city in the UK ie no different than an event in the UK and therefore no pulling factor for overseas visitors.
But if you get me a date or two for Slane - I'll ask
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:55 pm

I think its a cracking place for it, wonder if we can get a company to pay for it like Tesco's.
26th and 27th of July 2014 looks good.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:56 pm

Wonder if any rock bands do caching that would make it special

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:34 pm

There might be "Cross community" groups who would give money to assist co-operative North/South type event?

dino

Post by dino » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:18 pm

My only concern about holding it away from a major urban area is accommodation. From experience a lot of cachers that will attend will be looking for camping/caravanning facilities. Others will want B&B/Hotels. You need somewhere that will have both.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:19 pm

I have never attended a mega but tonight I attended an event in Stirling Scotland called Mega Embers. It was the monthly get together of the cachers from the area and some had been very heavily involved in the two year prep for the event. Some interesting points which I shall share (probably old hat to most):
There event was born out of a "why not us" notion after Harrowgate.
They felt we should go for it and that people will attend. People plan their hols around Megas.
Obtain funding from tourist board(s). Their board funded the venue which was a huge expense/worry off their shoulders. Get someone from a previous event to explain spin offs to the TB.
Have to provide various locations/events within the Mega:
One person took on to organise a chidrens event another a dog owners event and also Munros event and Ben Nevis.
A group from Yorkshire had a BBQ to celebrate Yorkshire Day.
Need to think of different/attractive attractions
I am sure there is more which if I remember I will add if important.
The big point was be prepared for the long haul, headaches and hard work but worth it.

Hound of Ulster

Post by Hound of Ulster » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:51 pm

OK couple of points,

If it is a UK event we risk the possibility of loosing our southern contingents interest. Political or not, they are not part of the UK.

Would the UK Mega organisers consider changing to a British Isles Mega instead of UK?

So far we have had several mega events, but are they UK Mega events or billed as country specific or just location specific?

I didn't think they were initially country specific, but the conversation seems to be heading towards "Regions", i.e England, Scotland and now Wales, so why not an Ireland Mega under the British Isles tag which satisfies all, i.e no UK Mega running against us, but allowing for a truly inclusive Ireland event running in rotation as a British Isles or Britain and Ireland Mega Event.

This way we get the best of both, no competition from UK so leaves cachers free to come to our event and able to have an Ireland Mega with Ireland in the title thus distinguishing it from Scotland England Wales, but still under an umbrella that attracts people to this part of the Worlds local Mega Event.

I don't think we have enough cachers willing to travel within Ireland yet to events to realistically attract enough,(but that is slowly changing), and we risk going back to the good old days of them and us events and caching, which in my opinion would be a bad thing for geocaching in Ireland.

I remember when as Regional Chairman for the bmf (motorcycle lobby group) we wanted a N.I event as they had in England and Scotland, it was an eye opener, the cost was phenominal as we were representing a body which had set standards and punters expected the same standard at each bmf event.