March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Guideline Changes & Clarifications

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Guideline Changes & Clarifications

Post by wildfowler » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:30 am

kersti.com wrote:Was just reviewing the guidelines ahead of hopefully a good day when I noticed a slight change in tone...
The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.
I read that as it is commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business AND interact with employees AND/OR purchase...

So I would presume that if a finder was required to go into a business but they could find the cache without interacting and without purchasing then it should be OK... #-o
I doubt it would get past review if it required you to go into a business at all! Is geocaching not an outdoor game? :wink:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

kersti.com
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by kersti.com » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:56 am

Not all businesses are inside :D

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:29 pm

But a business is a business and NO means NO! :mrgreen:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:47 pm

I would read that guideline more of being a list than mutually connected. more of an either or than an and.

Think Wildfowler should be wearing his other hat with those kind of tones :wink:

Inishanier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Inishanier » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:09 pm

wildfowler wrote:But a business is a business and NO means NO! :mrgreen:
Donmoore wrote:I would read that guideline more of being a list than mutually connected. more of an either or than an and.

Think Wildfowler should be wearing his other hat with those kind of tones :wink:
This hat says NO too!!!! :mrgreen:
Volunteer Reviewer for Ireland

Caching as wildfowler

Reviewing as Inishanier and GeoAwareIRL

Check out [Knowledge Books] for additional tips and answers to frequently asked questions.

kersti.com

Post by kersti.com » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:55 pm

LOL! So many no's without seeing any requests! Good thing I can duck or my head might not be there anymore! There are plenty of private properties that are effectively businesses that you might want to place a cache in, especially in historic places. However, my interest was just in passing as someone had been asking me about it a few days ago.