March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

2014 Ireland Mega

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

Donmoore
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 2014 Ireland Mega

Post by Donmoore » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Sounds like there are some juices running here again.

I wonder if groundspeak would buy into a shared MEGA. hold one here in Oldcastle and hold one in the Real oldcastle.
(this has nothing to do with me living 15mins from Oldcastle Ontario)

But like I have always said (or at least said in my head) its good to think about it as yes 2014 is not as long off as we think but there is a lot that can be achieved in that space of time too.

As for Location I really wouldn't get that far ahead of the game but you have the 2 main cities with excellent facilities as pointed out by Kirsti and David but you also have other areas that might be able to host it that are in good areas capable of hosting as well... like Newry.

batsgonemad
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by batsgonemad » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Who wants to go to Newry

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:50 am

batsgonemad wrote:Who wants to go to Newry
It seems like quite a lot of people

dino

Post by dino » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:40 am

Donmoore wrote:I wonder if groundspeak would buy into a shared MEGA. hold one here in Oldcastle and hold one in the Real oldcastle.
They won't. It must be one venue only and on one day also.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:44 am

Is there anything to be said for another mass ? :lol:

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:02 am

The event year 2014 seems to be getting used a lot.
Why that date?
Is it to be a UK Mega event ... ie: UK's 7th Mega event?
Or is it going to be Ireland's 1st Mega event.

I know I was asked by a few of the Welsh contingency when it was that we would be hosting "it".
"It" to me being one of the UK mega events.
We need to figure out *what* we're hosting first.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:05 am

Frezeluberz wrote:The event year 2014 seems to be getting used a lot.
Why that date?
Is it to be a UK Mega event ... ie: UK's 7th Mega event?
Or is it going to be Ireland's 1st Mega event.

I know I was asked by a few of the Welsh contingency when it was that we would be hosting "it".
"It" to me being one of the UK mega events.
We need to figure out *what* we're hosting first.

this thread did spawn from the suggestion that Ireland would host the 7th UK mega.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:09 pm

We have been through the is before the question which we did not get an answer to is would we get enough people to make it a mega event.
I think we need to make sure there would be 500 local cachers able to attend before we event dream about the event. I think we are looking at 2020.
The location would be picked by the persons organising it, the one in Wales is not that close to the airports.

I would be very happy to help arrange this but not to take the lead.

dino

Post by dino » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Zoe andDaddy wrote:I would be very happy to help arrange this but not to take the lead.
I think the problem lies in that statement because probably every single one of us would really like to see a Mega in Ireland. However, who has the time and drive to undertake the organisational nightmare and the significant financial risk involved in case it goes wrong.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 pm

dino wrote: I think the problem lies in that statement because probably every single one of us would really like to see a Mega in Ireland. However, who has the time and drive to undertake the organisational nightmare and the significant financial risk involved in case it goes wrong.
Bang on, I think that is the first big issue. You need to find a dedicated committee that would drive the event, not just people who want in on the action.

There might be a couple out there or maybe even a couple out there who would be on the verge of being able to organise this kind of event but they need to step forward not be pushed.

You will not get 500 local cachers in Ireland attending an event not matter what year you hold it. IT is a case of relying on other UK cachers and a lot of advertising and work.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:26 am

Do the Mega events have to happen on the same day?
If you arrange a Mega event in Ireland the same day as on in the UK (I have heard there might be two in the UK for 2012) not many will travel from the mainland, I don't think we have 500 cachers in the North and the South.

If we could get the UK event to only be in the North I think we would get the numbers. Then we can work towards an Ireland event when we have more cachers.

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:18 am

I don't think it matters a hoot what you call it or where you have it on the island, you still have to overcome the reluctance of the English, Scottish and Welsh to get on a plane or a ferry.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Zoe andDaddy wrote:Do the Mega events have to happen on the same day?
If you arrange a Mega event in Ireland the same day as on in the UK (I have heard there might be two in the UK for 2012) not many will travel from the mainland, I don't think we have 500 cachers in the North and the South.

If we could get the UK event to only be in the North I think we would get the numbers. Then we can work towards an Ireland event when we have more cachers.
not sure where you are coming from here Loz. You can have mega events any day you like. You really would need it not to be close to any other 'local' mega. We have already established you will not get 500 people just from the island of Ireland and it is purely down to people coming over for the event.

but again until anyone steps forward or up to the plate to even start looking into a committee this is all pointless.
(oh and the one I went to was held over 4 days so you could come whenever you wanted to be counted in.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:18 pm

I did not know if there was a set day or weekend it had to be held.

I think if it could be arrange where there is no other event's and we went mad with the advertising we could get enough people from around the world to make this in to a mega event.

Could you log the mega if you came on any of those four days?

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Yes you could log any of the days as I had emails coming in from the thursday.

Ok lets put it this way for the Mega.

Is there anybody out there who is a capable event organiser or has experience in this line of things and would like the opportunity of trying to put together a committee to look into the possibility at least of a mega event in Ireland?

Please stand up

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

My opinion - Forget making it a UK Mega - if we are up for this it has to be an Ireland Mega.

1- It would have to be " Irelands First Mega Event" other wise the overseas contingent will think its just another Mega .The more special and different it is the more people will see the trip as worthwhile .To do this we must provide something thats different , something that can't be gotten at a UK mega event and if that means shamrocks , four leaf clovers, pints of the "Black Stuff" ,craic , donkeys and carts in other words all things "oirish" then thats what we have to provide.

2- would it be possible to get the Mega event icon slightly reworked to include a shamrock in it ? I'm thinking a mega event icon only shamrock shaped. <-- I copyright that idea :D
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:36 pm

[quote="beefy4605"]My opinion - Forget making it a UK Mega - if we are up for this it has to be an Ireland Mega.

1- It would have to be " Irelands First Mega Event" other wise the overseas contingent will think its just another Mega .The more special and different it is the more people will see the trip as worthwhile .To do this we must provide something thats different , something that can't be gotten at a UK mega event and if that means shamrocks , four leaf clovers, pints of the "Black Stuff" ,craic , donkeys and carts in other words all things "oirish" then thats what we have to provide.

I'm with this guy :)

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 pm

beefy4605 wrote:2- would it be possible to get the Mega event icon slightly reworked to include a shamrock in it ? I'm thinking a mega event icon only shamrock shaped. <-- I copyright that idea :D
Thats clever, but you'd need to run it by GS.

...and Oirish is good too.

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:06 am

Hold it on the 17th of March... :lol: Ready made party and people travel to the country for it anyway might be enough of a draw to coax a few extra cachers over the water - although maybe too early in the year weatherwise.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:38 am

What about a field the border running through it you could have a UK and Irish Mega event at the same place.
:lol: :lol: :lol: