March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Problem with "How To - Get Every Cache In Ireland using PQs"

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

johnrm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Problem with "How To - Get Every Cache In Ireland using PQs"

Post by johnrm » Fri May 21, 2010 12:10 pm

johnrm wrote:I've left a bit of room for manoeuvre in each of the PQs allowing for archival and resurrection od caches.
I'm not sure if these will work, let me know if they do...

AIPQ1 ~986 caches
http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquer ... 42ac702e17

AIPQ1 ~942 caches
http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquer ... 5de6172a38

AIPQ1 ~852 caches
http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquer ... 96499b86d0

AIPQ1 ~212 caches
http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquer ... 0307278fa9
Did these work?

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Fri May 21, 2010 5:29 pm

I tried your PQs John and they seemed to work ok. I increased one of them to 1000 caches, just so that they are all set at the same level.

I set them up, downloaded them and uploaded them all at once into a brand new database.

It produced a full database of 3044 waypoints with 1286 child waypoints.

Im assuming that your dates and centrepoints are good for all of the Island.

Looks good to me.

dino

Post by dino » Fri May 21, 2010 8:02 pm

CluelessTwo wrote:I increased one of them to 1000 caches, just so that they are all set at the same level.
I'd recommend having them about 5 or so short to allow for old caches being unarchived
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

johnrm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by johnrm » Sat May 22, 2010 10:28 pm

dino wrote:I'd recommend having them about 5 or so short to allow for old caches being unarchived
My thinking exactly.

Glad to know they work, thanks.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Sun May 23, 2010 12:36 am

dino wrote:I'd recommend having them about 5 or so short to allow for old caches being unarchived
What do you mean? Set the number to 995? Why? Surely if it's set to 1000 it'll pick them up anyway? Or am I just confused now?
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

dino

Post by dino » Sun May 23, 2010 7:22 am

wildfowler wrote:
What do you mean? Set the number to 995? Why? Surely if it's set to 1000 it'll pick them up anyway? Or am I just confused now?
If you ask the PQ to return all caches placed between two dates and there are 1003 results it will only return 1000. I think it chooses the 1000 nearest to the centre point.

When setting up the dates you should choose them so that you get a result of approx 995 in the PQ to allow for old caches being unarchived and messing up your dates. If doing this yourself make sure you don't tick the box to run the PQ until you're happy with how many results you're getting. You can use the preview option for that.

You still set the PQ to return a maximum of 1000 caches though.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun May 23, 2010 7:39 am

If you import a PQ that is incomplete, I think GSAK highlights it in Red on the summary screen.
I remember seeing a '500' in a red box at one stage.

dino

Post by dino » Sun May 23, 2010 7:57 am

It does but I'm not sure how useful that is now with the option of 1000 results?

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:36 am

Imported all the PQs to my 550t - how often do you guys update them, once every few weeks to get the updated logs etc? 8)

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:44 am

thomasvm wrote:Imported all the PQs to my 550t - how often do you guys update them, once every few weeks to get the updated logs etc? 8)
I do mine once a week.

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:11 am

I started a new PQ for 'not found' as well - in hope that I might get a FTF one day - is this the way - or is there an other way to get a notification of a new GC?

dino

Post by dino » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:52 am

As you are a PM you can set up Instant Notifications: http://support.groundspeak.com/index.ph ... age&id=184

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks Dino :D

obclan

Post by obclan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:14 pm

The PQ's worked a treat. Many thnaks you saved me a lot of time. All set for the holliers now. 8)

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:19 am

obclan wrote:The PQ's worked a treat. Many thnaks you saved me a lot of time. All set for the holliers now. 8)
eehhh ..... don't you mean I saved you a lot of time with the emails, phonecalls and referals to these pq's and advise, etc etc etc etc .... ggggrrr

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

LordSoth

Post by LordSoth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:47 pm

Howdy!

I'm still trying to get my head around PQ's & getting the best possible value out of them.

I ran the first query in johnrm's post above & adjusted the final date to today's date, but, when I download the PQ onto my iphone the query covers quite a lot of Ireland but misses out the North East corner, covering Northern Ireland, & the South West corner, down into Cork.

Is there some way that I can adjust the query so that it covers all of Northern Ireland (as that's where I live & am doing most of my caching at the moment)?

MTIA

John 8)

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:55 pm

My queries seem to be running fine. I use them all the time.
They're pretty simple, I just pick a centre point and a radius that encompasses all Ireland and use dates to break them, up into manageable chunks.
Make sure you are going through GSAK to export and not dropping GPX files straight on to your iphone. Someone else here was doing something like that and it caused problems.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Lord Soth ... the reason the dates are as they are is to allow more than 1,000 caches to be downloaded.
You need to run multiple PQs to achieve this though.
Each date batch should not exceed 1,000 results.
And you need all 4 PQs to get all the caches in Ireland.
Just one PQ will not get all the caches in Ireland as there is a 1,000 cap on the PQ query.

LordSoth

Post by LordSoth » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:15 am

Aha! That explains why so many appear to be missing! Will this include premium caches too? (BTW my primary reason for this is that I got caught with no mobile signal last Sunday - & hence no facility to get cache info - so my plan is to run these queries weekly, download them to my phone & have a full data store before I leave to go caching!!)

Thx for the info folks!

John 8)

LordSoth

Post by LordSoth » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:19 am

P.S. Does anyone have a ballpark figure for the number of active caches in Northern Ireland at the moment? (just so I can see if my queries all add up to roundabout that number)

Ta

John 8)