March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Problem with "How To - Get Every Cache In Ireland using PQs"

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Problem with "How To - Get Every Cache In Ireland using PQs"

Post by wildfowler » Wed May 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Is anyone else having a problem with this at the minute? My PQ's have come in and it's telling me that a PQ has exceeded the 500 limit? What do I need to change?
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

dino

Re: Problem with "How To - Get Every Cache In Ireland using PQs"

Post by dino » Wed May 05, 2010 5:36 pm

It'll be the Non-Traditional one.

I haven't done anything with these at the minute as I'm waiting to see what happens with GSAK and the new version PQs for >500 results (you have to download them instead of getting them as an attachment).

How do you load them into GSAK?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by wildfowler » Wed May 05, 2010 5:42 pm

I usually just save the email attachments in a folder and then tell GSAK to download the GPX files from that folder. Works grand so far! The limit exceeded was shown on the download page on the geocaching.com website. Can we just change the totals in the PQ to 1000 and it'll work then? Or do we need to rewrite the PQ's with new dates etc?
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Wed May 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I was messing with PQs and yes you need to set them to 1000.
I just have my PQs set with date limits, disregarding the different types of caches, so all I have to do is cap the 'most recent' one when it hits in or around 1000 and then start a fresh one.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed May 05, 2010 6:50 pm

I'll try that then! Cheers! :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu May 06, 2010 11:04 am

Just so I don't need to work it out myself - can you tell me what date ranges you used John?

johnrm

Re: Problem with "How To - Get Every Cache In Ireland using

Post by johnrm » Thu May 06, 2010 1:18 pm

I've left a bit of room for manoeuvre in each of the PQs allowing for archival and resurrection of caches.
These work for me...

AIPQ1 ~948 caches
http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquer ... 42ac702e17

AIPQ1 ~973 caches
http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquer ... 5de6172a38

AIPQ1 ~897 caches
http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquer ... 96499b86d0

AIPQ1 ~834 caches
http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquer ... 0307278fa9

[updated to reflect cache count @ 31-Jan-2011]
Last edited by johnrm on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Thu May 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Who the hell is releasing all these new caches anyway? :evil:

DiamondDuo
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m

Post by DiamondDuo » Tue May 11, 2010 2:56 pm

dino wrote:It'll be the Non-Traditional one.

I haven't done anything with these at the minute as I'm waiting to see what happens with GSAK and the new version PQs for >500 results (you have to download them instead of getting them as an attachment).

How do you load them into GSAK?
Could be a while before GSAK is allowed to directly download the 1k PQs:

See this thread

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue May 11, 2010 9:11 pm

All this fuss!
Why not just allow 10 PQs? #-o

dino

Post by dino » Wed May 12, 2010 12:06 pm

Email server and PQ generator was barely coping with 5 PQs each daily and would have fallen over completely with 10 :shock:

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Thu May 13, 2010 10:09 am

Why is it not possibel to just creat ONE file which is made available?

dino

Post by dino » Thu May 13, 2010 12:42 pm

Of where though? Not everybody wants all cache information. The beauty of PQs is how customisable they are.

Also GC want you to come to the site to view cache information. You can see this from how they work their iPhone App which connects directly into the site. They're not interested in helping to build offline databases so aren't developing the site in that direction.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Thu May 13, 2010 9:01 pm

Is that so they can make a few quid out of advertising from the banners etc.?

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Thu May 13, 2010 10:51 pm

johnrm wrote:Is that so they can make a few quid out of advertising from the banners etc.?
Probably! But you can't blame them for that! They've got to pay Croaghan's expenses somehow! :twisted:
ImageImage

dino

Post by dino » Fri May 14, 2010 7:52 am

johnrm wrote:Is that so they can make a few quid out of advertising from the banners etc.?
Possibly but I also get the feeling that it's a corporate direction they've decided to take. They want the site to be the source of everything geocaching which makes good business sense.

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Fri May 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Im finding that Im now taking the PQs from the site now and not even opening my email. Problem now is that I have so many unopened pq emails. Must look and see if the email is necessary for the pq if I can download them all from the site anyway.

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Fri May 14, 2010 6:07 pm

If you find a way let us know. I rarely open these and just update the pqs on the iPhone

dino

Post by dino » Fri May 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Create a disposable account (Hotmail/GMail etc) and set your PQs to deliver to that address instead of your usual one. Log in to that once a month to keep the account active and delete all the emails in one go.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Sun May 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Or create a rule and dump them in the deleted folder directly.