March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

10 Years! Sligo, Ireland: "Mountains to Sea"

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

10 Years! Sligo, Ireland: "Mountains to Sea"

Post by spy caleb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:47 pm

Great news re the Sligo Event :ban :ban :ban :ban :ban :ban :ban :ban :ban :ban . It is being submitted now as a special 10year event to celebrate 10 years of Geocaching.
As you may be aware the 1st cache was hidden in May 2000. This year Groundspeak are hosting a huge celebration at their HQ on the 4th July 2010 http://coord.info/GC24GYW.
There will be many aspects of this celebration, including multi-events hosted by geocachers on May 1 and May 2.
In addition to the standard event cache Guidelines, there are a few additional guidelines that we will need to follow to qualify for a 10 Years! cache type icon.
1. A video or picture must be taken at the event. At least 10 attendees must be in the video/photo along with a legible sign showing the event coordinates and location name.
2. The people in the video or photo should be festive. Be inventive! But please keep it family friendly.
3. At least 10 people must attend the event.
4. Events must be held on May 1 or May 2, 2010.

This is a unique opportunity to be invovled in this 10 year celebration and avail of the special icon.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Re: 10 Years! Sligo, Ireland: "Mountains to Sea"

Post by donnacha » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 pm

Excellect stuff. I can bring the flag along if it's any use.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by spy caleb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Please do donnacha any any a funny hat too :hi

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:35 am

spy caleb wrote:Please do donnacha any any a funny hat too:hi
Am I not funny looking enough? :D

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Don't all rush to answer that one!!!!

batsgonemad

Post by batsgonemad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:54 pm

The event is over 2 days so are we going to do 2 seperate pictures/video to accomodate the people who come on the seperate days

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:19 pm

I'm hoping to get to at least one day of this event but won't know for sure until very near the time. Is it okay to just turn up on the day or do we have to register in advance? (We've never been to an event before)

dino

Post by dino » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:47 pm

If you're coming for some kind of meal or other part of an event that requires numbers then you should post a "will attend" note to let the organiser know. Otherwise you can just turn up (or not) as you wish 8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:18 pm

NaDoohans wrote:I'm hoping to get to at least one day of this event but won't know for sure until very near the time. Is it okay to just turn up on the day or do we have to register in advance? (We've never been to an event before)
Do hope you can make it Noelle. Either Saturday or Sunday will qualify for attendance :D .
Just register on arrival at the start of the walk.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:19 pm

batsgonemad wrote:The event is over 2 days so are we going to do 2 seperate pictures/video to accomodate the people who come on the seperate days
I am not sure about that aspect of the event. Will need check it out and let you all know.

Just re read the requirements of the 10 year.
I dont see any reason why we cannot take a picture/video on both days.
In fact it would be important to do so as not all will be attending on the two days.
Last edited by spy caleb on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Am hoping to meet up the coming week with the Two Amigos to finalise some of the logistics.

Re Saturday Night get together.
There is a nice pub/restuarant called Molly Fultons near the Carraroe Roundabout. They have a pub part and a Restuarant also. I called and had a look at it and think it is suitable. Need to meet the manager and chat re what we would like.

New Caches. There will be definetly some new available over the week end. They will not be published until the day of the event so that all can have an equal part on the FTF's. Now that dino is back in the driving seat we dont want to let him away to lightly \:D/ :ban :che

Should be in position to publish the final detail by the end of next week end re the Saturday night function.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:05 pm

I'd love to do this one, but unfortunately it clashes with a family event.
Oh well...

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:22 am

We do plan on coming, but one of us has very bad asthma, and the other has moderate asthma, so longish walks arent the best for us, as we dont enjoy the caches when we cant breathe. Can we still attend the event, but do our own "driving around doing easy caches" thing, and meet up with everyone for the meal and photos?
We're coming from Omagh direction on the Sat, and may or may not decide to attend the 2nd day of the event as well, but it definately would be good to meet up.

Where would be the closest/best place to have b&b?

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:14 pm

CluelessTwo wrote:We do plan on coming, but one of us has very bad asthma, and the other has moderate asthma, so longish walks arent the best for us, as we dont enjoy the caches when we cant breathe. Can we still attend the event, but do our own "driving around doing easy caches" thing, and meet up with everyone for the meal and photos?
We're coming from Omagh direction on the Sat, and may or may not decide to attend the 2nd day of the event as well, but it definately would be good to meet up.

Where would be the closest/best place to have b&b?
It would be super if you can come down. Dont worry about the walks as long as you can come to the event on saturday evening this is sufficient to log "attended". There are lots of cahes in the area which can be accessed without too much energy.
If you like I can recommend a few.

RE Accommodation. Anywhere around Sligo Will do. Rosses point Drumcliffe, Ballisodare, Strandhill. In Sligo: Strandhill Road, Pearse Road, Ballincar etc. There are lots to choose from. Just googgle it and you will see lots of choices. Just remember its Bank Holiday Weekend and the sooner you book the better.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:12 pm

More preparation for Sligo Event.
http://www.thebeachbarsligo.com/ Spoke to the owner today to warn him that a group of Geocachers are about to descend on him on saturday the 1st May. We will be passing this place during the Coastal Walk. Its really homely and he apparently does nice Seafood Chowder :)
Could be a nice breakpoint in the day to replenish. The only down size it might be difficult to get people out again :)

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 am

You just said the magic words!!! Only thing other than a pint of Guinness that will get my ATTENTION is seafood chowder, yummy!!!! :D

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:53 am

Clashes with me finishing a job and possibly starting a new one in Dublin the week after. Also I will be hungover. So I'm afraid this one is out. If I do move to Dublin though I'll be going along to a lot more of these.

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Will there be any security at the Dunmoran Car Park during the walk? Sorry to mention it but I am mindful of what happened at the event at Donabate last year.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:51 pm

I cannot imagine that security would be necessary at Dunmoran Beach. Its quite a distance from Sligo and off the beaten track a little. Will give it some consideration.
Thanks for the thought. Was not at Donabate so not sure what happened.

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Two cars and a caravan broken into and a lot of stuff taken. This was whilst the beach clean (CITO) was taking place. Just makes me wary with so many travelling criminals. Just back from walking in Wicklow at the weekend and the same prob there. Travelling speculative parasites!