March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

"Forgetting" to sign log-books

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Jumpin Jiminie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

"Forgetting" to sign log-books

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:33 pm

I did 2 of the Walk in the Garden Series today where the last person that logged the find on Geocaching.com had not logged the find in the log book itself.

Now the cynic in me would want me to believe that this person has not found the caches and instead is just logging them to build up their stats...surely this could not be the case...could it??? :shock:

Does this happen often? Seems a bit sad if it is the case!!!

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Re: "Forgetting" to sign log-books

Post by CluelessTwo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Sometimes when the logbook is nearly full it can be hard to find a place to sign. This results in the logs in the book being in a random order.

Having said that, I'm sure that there are a few sad people out there who couldnt find the cache, and have no intention of returning, so will log it as found to avoid having to return.

More common is that the finder may take a while to log it on the cache page.

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by parkmoy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Yes, I've known it to happen genuinely. People do occasionally get distracted and on a couple of occasions I've signed logbooks at friends' request when I've visited soon after.
If it's a regular cacher I would say it's 99.999% likely to be genuine.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:04 am

Hmmm! I must admit to having a few doubts about this particular cacher and as a result I contacted him some time ago through GC.com. It appeared to me that he was chalking up the Garden caches a little too quickly unless he was some sort of bionic man. He replied and seemed very genuine and nice. Now I don't know what to think. These are not caches where there is any problem with space on the log books and they are certainly not ones that you would easily forget to log and walk away. It is my guess that he is working out the solutions ok (or getting help to do so as he says himself) but now it appears possible that it is all he is doing.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think it is possible for me to delete logs on my caches, yes? But I don't think it would be appropriate to do that until someone does a few more of them and finds the same result.
Normally, I wouldn't give a hoot if someone wants to fool themselves, or the rest of us, into thinking that they found lots of caches for the numbers or for the difficulty levels or something but these particular ones are both tricky to work out and physically difficult to get to so I can completely understand another cacher coming along and being a bit put out about the lack of a log. As one of the cache owners I have to say that a fair bit of time and effort went into placing them so I would indeed like to remove any log that is not genuine.
I will contact him again and take it from there.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:56 am

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#maint
The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.
Seems pretty clear to me. No log, no find and unless he can prove that he found the cache then it is your right to delete it.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Nonetheless I will wait to hear from him and if not then I will delete!

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:15 am

They supposedly did FIVE Walk in the garden caches in 1 day - wow! :shock: + Thanks, J.B.! among others. That's some going.
I'm exhausted just thinking about all that walking :)

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:36 am

eh I don't think so .....

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:55 am

Well, he certainly found "Kevin's Dental Work", 'cos there's a picture posted!

As for the rest, he's some man for one man! (although I note several references to a "team", which might be the formula for success..................) :twisted:
Up is good!!

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:41 am

Not sure that a picture quite does it as these could be got anywhere and could be taken by anyone!

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:26 am

I noticed a couple of entries on geocaching.com that were lacking from the log books in Waterford.
Didn't think there was much I could do about it.
They were pretty easy caches so if they wanna they can.
I'm of the same thinking ... if you want to trick yourself then fire away.
Last edited by Frezeluberz on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:45 pm

I don't know who you are talking about, I have an idea, but can't be sure. I was thinking if you check trackables for this user, providing they collect some bugs and coins, you could then determine if they are actually opening the caches.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:18 am

only kidding themselves for some bizarre reason... (anyone who does not find the caches but logs)
if there are rules for anything someone will break them. Only thing is there is no real prizes in geocaching or if there are they are usually extra curricular activity. It bugs me if I think their has been suspicious logs on mine or caches I have visited but I really do try to just brush it off and just play me way.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:16 am

Frezeluberz wrote:I'm of the same thinking ... if you want to trick yourself then fire away.
Not really - you have an obligation or responsibility under the guidelines to delete fake logs from your own caches.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:59 am

daraconn wrote:
Frezeluberz wrote:I'm of the same thinking ... if you want to trick yourself then fire away.
Not really - you have an obligation or responsibility under the guidelines to delete fake logs from your own caches.
On your own caches yes but I think Kevin was referring to caches he's found?

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 am

I was!

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:01 pm

So I get a new log today, what do you all think I should do?

"Too many muggles to take and sign log! Tftc!"

Delete straight away, or contact them first?

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Delete.

dino

Post by dino » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Email CO and ask them to delete log and return and sign it properly.

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Good idea Niall, just what I was thinking.