March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hi all

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi all

Post by TheBigAndyT » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi Guys

I'm really new to geo-caching but i think i'm about to be hooked. I used to do alot of fishing as i love being outdoors but geo-caching looks to be something the whole family can do together and i think the wife is keen for me to get involved too as it doesn't need an endless amount of tackle to be bought.

I'm about to release my first geocoin this weekend. Does anyone have any pointers

jme1979
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hi all

Post by jme1979 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:37 pm

Wait until she sees how much kit you can accumulate caching :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D :D

On the coin front, I would choose a cache somewhere that is getting a lot of traffic (new ones are good for that) to get it moving quickly. If you want it to go abroad, go for a 'touristy' cache (one that is easily reached by public transport), as there's more chance of someone on holiday picking it up then - good luck :D

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi and welcome,

Caching is good fun it will get you out and about and if you want meeting new people.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Jumpin Jiminie

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Welcome aboard...hope you and the family enjoy it.

Agree with JME1979 about the gear, my caching bag seems to get heavier every time I head out and that's before it gets covered in mud :lol:

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:48 pm

Welcome. You are already hooked, that's good news, your just like the rest of us.

Don't be shy and feel free to give your views. Dont be put off when you see that some of us have found hundreds or even thousands of caches, you will be there before you know it.

What area are you from?

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Welcome aboard the good ship geocache!

good to see you are getting coins going so soon

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks for welcome guys.

I'm amazed how big the geocaching scene is in ireland, i'd never heard of it until i stumbled across the iphone app. I was a bit of a tackle junkie when fishing o i guess i'll be lugging around masses of gear for this too

Cluelesstwo - I'm from near moria and there's a staggering amount of caches within a ten mile radius.

Donmoore - i believe the coin i'm hoping to release this weekend is one of your designs. I'm a bit nervous about releasing a mini work of art, but i can't wait to follow it's progress

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:47 am

Welcome - Enjoy :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:14 am

A good one for you is the Lagan Toe Path, there is a series along there which runs from Lisburn to Belfast. If your up for a challenge there is also the Comber greenway. The two back be done in one day. There are lots of excellent caches to be found.

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:50 am

I've done a couple on the tow path, the ulster navigational runs right behind my house. Unfortunatly my Two year old sons attention span only allows one or two caches a day. I'm sure he'll be better in the warmer weather

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:27 am

Hi, welcome, you do realise that you can never go back to your former life, don't you? I mean pre-geocaching...Kidding, it is pretty addictive though. I can empathize with you about your two year old, I have a four yr old just like that! Actually I come from a fishing family, my Dad would have been as addicted to fishing as most people here are about geocaching. I can still hear those words..'just one last cast!'..My kids tell me I am just like that, except I say 'just one last cache'..

Hope you have lots of fun. :hi

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi and welcome! :D

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi BigAndyT and all the best, from another local cacher, you'll usally find me just up the road a bit closer to Hillsborough. I've been out of action for a few months but raring to get back on the road.

You'll enjoy picking off a few caches close to home but you'll get even great enjoyment out of visitng those out of the way places, no matter where you go.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Glad you picked my coin to start you off. I have a very hard time releasing any coins I own as these are little objects of desire for many people and some who are always not as honest. Hopefully yours goes where you want it to.

dino

Post by dino » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Welcome :mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:27 am

Welcom on board

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:59 am

Hi there!

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:40 pm

Welcome :D