March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Geocaching in the News

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Geocaching in the News

Post by SargeNI » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Just caught the BBC Northern Ireland News at lunchtime today and the first thing I heard was the Newreader telling the viewers about a great new hobby - Geocaching.

They then had a full report explaining the main aspects of caching featuring Lizzy from the Belfast Hills Partnership, she demonstated the hobby while out hunting for the SkiMcD's Long Barn cache up on Divis - she found the cache, talked about the swaping and signing the log before explaining about the number of caches which can be found all around the world.

Unformtunately I didn't get it recorded, but would be interested what anyone else thought about the feature or how we could get a stream of it.

Donmoore
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Geocaching in the News

Post by Donmoore » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Just contact the BBC and ask them for a copy. hopefully that will get a few more people interested now.

dino

Post by dino » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:57 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsline/newsline1300.ram

This might work. It wouldn't play for me but that may have been because I was downloading from outside the UK?

Also needs RealPlayer to watch
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:25 pm

"sorry we cannot bring you the programme you requested"

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:32 am

The program and the feature was run again on Newsline in the evening.

I don't think the BBC put Newline up for access on iPlayer :(

obclan

Post by obclan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:45 pm

My geocaching friend was interviewed for a Scouting organisation in Switzerland about his new hobby Geocaching. I understand it will be in their next newsletter. When I get the link I will post it for you to see.

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:50 pm

There's an article on geocaching in today's Sunday Life by someone who went over to participate in the Scottish Mega events (seems to have been on the five peak challenge event that week). Can't find a link to it online though :(

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:17 pm

There was a filler piece on UK breakfast news about interesting and unusual hobbies. The presenter basically compared our hobby to train spotting. :evil: :evil:

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:04 pm

The guy from the Sunday Life seems to be undertaking some kind of challenge thing and reporting on how he gets on, and someone suggested the five peaks geocaching event as a challenge for him. Have to admit, I dont think he'll be taking it up either after reading the article.................

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Their loss!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: