March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ask The Reviewer

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

batsgonemad
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ask The Reviewer

Post by batsgonemad » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:48 am

Its not about the smiles people, dont forget that [-X

dino

Post by dino » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:24 am

Didn't work properly so I've deleted the post :roll:

8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

TeamHousty
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by TeamHousty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:03 pm

Why do we get so many emails when listing a new cache and then when it's published :(

Surely 1 email when you list a new cache and another when its published is enough :? unless there is queries with it

Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Post by Croaghan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:53 am

Apologies Malcolm for being so slow answering this question but I initially read it on my mobile, decided to answer it later and then forgot :oops:

Anyway, how many emails did you get? I know there are plans afoot to reduce the number of emails and to make them more relevant, especially when the cache isn't being immediately listed.

Also I add in an extra Reviewer Note on pretty much every cache that I publish:
I've no queries with this cache so it is good to go. I look forward to finding it some day.

Enjoy :D

Niall

Croaghan - Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)
If the cacher is pretty new then I add this bit to the end to encourage them to think about the Leave No Trace best practice guidelines we developed some time ago:
PS. When you activated your cache you stated that you had read the Geocaching.com Guidelines http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx and that your cache adhered to them. In Ireland we also have local guidelines http://guidelines.geocachingireland.com/. Please take the time to read those and ensure that your cache is also in accordance with them.
If these notes are an irritation then I'm happy to stop sending them.
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:51 am

Firstly when you first create a listing, you get two emails;

1 x Cache Report Submitted
1 x Posted a Reviewer Note with nothing but co-ords in it

Then when published

1 x Notify - Published
1 x Owner - Published
1 x Listing Published
1 x Reviewer Note

I'm not worried about your reviewer notes :? (and i have just noticed that possibly notify published could be my notifications :oops: ) but even at that owner published and listing published could be combined into 1 email and the first two could be combined into 1 email... just some thoughts

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi,
some questions.

1. Can you explain me when I should create "reference point" using additional waypoints option? Can't find any information except this:

http://support.groundspeak.com/Support/ ... 25&nav=0,5

* For a complex cache, you could have entries for the parking area, trailhead, questions to answer, stages of a multicache, as well as the final location.
* For a traditional cache, you might want to enter the parking area and/or the trailhead.
* For a puzzle/mystery cache or a multicache, it will be necessary to make an entry for each stage and for the final cache location.
* For virtual waypoints in puzzles and multi's, you can choose to code them as "question to answer" or "reference point" -- in which case the virtual waypoints can be closer than 528 feet from another cache -- or as "stages of a multicache" -- in which case your special virtual location will be protected from having a physical cache placed nearby.

I thought, "reference point" is just spot what is not necessary to find a cache. Like "interesting monument on your way". But if I read this, it look you can use it only for multi stage cache, not for traditional. So maybe my interpretation of this type of waypoint is wrong. Please, explain me everything about this waypoint.

--------------

2. There is minimum distance between physical caches and waypoints. There is suggested maximum distance between bogus coordinate of mystery cache and its container. But is any maximum distance or other limit between stages of multicache? Can I place a cache, where 1st stage is in Europe, 2nd in Australia, and final in Africa? Of course I can prove ability to maintenance every stage. It's just example.

--------------

3. Caches wheelchair accessible should be rated as 1 star terrain difficulty. What is reason for it, why attribute "wheelchair accessible" is not enough? Can I place cache with 1 star terrain difficulty but not accessible for wheelchair or opposite - wheelchair accessible but e.g. 2 stars terrain difficulty? Examples:
- paved road, 20m from car park but cache is too low/high for person on wheelchair
- castle on a hill, steep path up, but for wheelchairs (and only wheelchairs) is special lift.

--------------

4. In guidelines you can see this:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):
[...]
# Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In the United States we generally use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

How about Ireland?

That's all. For now ;)

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:04 pm

toczygroszek wrote:Hi,
some questions.
You been saving them up :?: :wink:
toczygroszek wrote:1. Can you explain me when I should create "reference point" using additional waypoints option? Can't find any information except this:

* For a complex cache, you could have entries for the parking area, trailhead, questions to answer, stages of a multicache, as well as the final location.
* For a traditional cache, you might want to enter the parking area and/or the trailhead.
* For a puzzle/mystery cache or a multicache, it will be necessary to make an entry for each stage and for the final cache location.
* For virtual waypoints in puzzles and multi's, you can choose to code them as "question to answer" or "reference point" -- in which case the virtual waypoints can be closer than 528 feet from another cache -- or as "stages of a multicache" -- in which case your special virtual location will be protected from having a physical cache placed nearby.

I thought, "reference point" is just spot what is not necessary to find a cache. Like "interesting monument on your way". But if I read this, it look you can use it only for multi stage cache, not for traditional. So maybe my interpretation of this type of waypoint is wrong. Please, explain me everything about this waypoint.
Reference point AWs can be used for anything you want. A cache I found earlier in the week used it as you suggest to mark an interesting fishpond nearby the cache area:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 01a6&log=y

However, the most common use (as suggested in the KB article you linked to) is for a virtual waypoint along the route of a multi. It can be used when you have to find an object and gather information from it eg a plaque with a date. The other commonly used AW for multis is Question to Answer eg. how many red bars on a gate?
toczygroszek wrote:2. There is minimum distance between physical caches and waypoints. There is suggested maximum distance between bogus coordinate of mystery cache and its container. But is any maximum distance or other limit between stages of multicache? Can I place a cache, where 1st stage is in Europe, 2nd in Australia, and final in Africa? Of course I can prove ability to maintenance every stage. It's just example.
No limit and caches as you have suggested do exist
toczygroszek wrote:3. Caches wheelchair accessible should be rated as 1 star terrain difficulty. What is reason for it, why attribute "wheelchair accessible" is not enough? Can I place cache with 1 star terrain difficulty but not accessible for wheelchair or opposite - wheelchair accessible but e.g. 2 stars terrain difficulty? Examples:
- paved road, 20m from car park but cache is too low/high for person on wheelchair
- castle on a hill, steep path up, but for wheelchairs (and only wheelchairs) is special lift.
Attributes are not yet downloaded with PQs so a wheelchair user cannot filter offline using the attribute. Also the Clayjar system for determining terrain was in place prior to attributes being added to the site. See it as a helping hand to less able people.

A 1* cache it is expected that a wheelchair user would be able to get to the cache and retrieve it unaided. However, you can add a piece in the description (and many do) to say the cache is wheelchair friendly until the last 5m and then the user can decide if they will need help or can tackle it on their own.

Handicaching is a good site to add more specific information to your cache pages: http://www.handicaching.com/

However, it isn't a guideline issue. Any cache I see with a 1* and no attribute will get the template response but I won't hold up publication for it. It's the cache owner's choice whether or not to change the terrain.
toczygroszek wrote:4. In guidelines you can see this:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):
[...]
# Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In the United States we generally use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

How about Ireland?
In the US the railroad companies own everything within 150ft either side of the tracks so to be there is considered trespass. That guideline doesn't apply in Ireland. However, any cache on railway property will need permission as it is privately owned property and a bit more security conscious than most areas.
toczygroszek wrote:That's all.
Phew! :wink:
toczygroszek wrote:For now ;)
Oh! #-o

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Many thanks!
Croaghan wrote:
However, the most common use (as suggested in the KB article you linked to) is for a virtual waypoint along the route of a multi. It can be used when you have to find an object and gather information from it eg a plaque with a date. The other commonly used AW for multis is Question to Answer eg. how many red bars on a gate?
Hmm, is not better just use one type of waypoint for virtual stages of multicache?
Croaghan wrote:
toczygroszek wrote:For now ;)
Oh! #-o
Oh yes! :twisted:

5. I can change listed coordinates without review within 161m. What about final coordinates of multi or puzzle caches and other physical stages?
What will happen when I will move my cache 160m and place it just 5 meters from another cache?

6. Can I set start coordinates for multi or puzzle cache exactly at start coordinates of other cache?

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:42 am

toczygroszek wrote:
Croaghan wrote: However, the most common use (as suggested in the KB article you linked to) is for a virtual waypoint along the route of a multi. It can be used when you have to find an object and gather information from it eg a plaque with a date. The other commonly used AW for multis is Question to Answer eg. how many red bars on a gate?
Hmm, is not better just use one type of waypoint for virtual stages of multicache?
Possibly but the two AWs are for gathering two different types of information so I can see why both are there. Most people actually just use the reference point one.
toczygroszek wrote:5. I can change listed coordinates without review within 161m. What about final coordinates of multi or puzzle caches and other physical stages?
What will happen when I will move my cache 160m and place it just 5 meters from another cache?
Unfortunately AWs can be moved any distance that you like. Currently there is no limit on the site and there is no notification to reviewers like there is for posted coordinates. If you move your final too close to another cache I would never know unless I went to find those caches or if someone else reported them as being too close together. This has been used in the past to abuse the system and to try and get around the guidelines.
toczygroszek wrote:6. Can I set start coordinates for multi or puzzle cache exactly at start coordinates of other cache?
You can although I would advise against it as it creates issues with mapping programs and mapping GPS units with overlapping icons. However, you could have two caches that start at the same virtual waypoint (eg a plaque/noticeboard) but use different information to get to different finals.

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:36 pm

7. What changes in cache listing can do reviewer? I know about change coordinates, archive and unarchive cache. Something else?

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:05 pm

toczygroszek wrote:7. What changes in cache listing can do reviewer? I know about change coordinates, archive and unarchive cache. Something else?
Pretty much anything :shock: Anything that a cache owner can do plus some extra stuff 8)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:44 pm

8. What is that "extra stuff"?

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:49 am

Well the three you mentioned: change coordinates, archive and unarchive a listing plus the following:
  • change a cache type (we only do that on a rare occasion)
  • lock a listing (this prevents anyone from logging anything on a cache and is also only used rarely, usually when a listing is being abused in some way)
  • retract a listing if it was published in error (usually only done if we make a mistake when reviewing and we notice it very quickly)
  • check proximity of caches and waypoints to others
  • view archived logs on a cache page
  • view archived or unpublished caches in search results
There are other things but I can't think of any more right now

edit: misleading wording in last point

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:43 pm

9. When I set waypoints for multi-stage cache I'm using virtual and physical, and this very handy for people and reviewer as they know which is which, what looking for and if is any proximity alert. With one exception of course - when I set virtual stage as physical using "stage of multicache". But I shouldn't double waypoint with cache page coordinates. In some situations people will not know what look for if is nothing about it in description. And other thing - how reviewer know what type of waypoint it is - virtual or physical? Can I set there waypoint especially if is physical?

10. I spotted few times member's status "Not Validated Member". I think just his email address is not valid, but can he log in to his account and use it without any restrictions?

11. Did you really think no.10 was my last question? 8)

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Apologies for taking so long to reply but my internet connection hasn't been well for almost a week now and I'm getting sporadic connection only :x
toczygroszek wrote:9. When I set waypoints for multi-stage cache I'm using virtual and physical, and this very handy for people and reviewer as they know which is which, what looking for and if is any proximity alert. With one exception of course - when I set virtual stage as physical using "stage of multicache". But I shouldn't double waypoint with cache page coordinates. In some situations people will not know what look for if is nothing about it in description.
If there is nothing in the description to say whether it is a virtual or physical waypoint then people won't know what to do to progress to the next stage. I haven't seen any like that before but if I did I would challenge it to look for more information.
toczygroszek wrote:And other thing - how reviewer know what type of waypoint it is - virtual or physical?
I usually rely on the cache description and the instructions the cache owner gives for moving to the next stage.
toczygroszek wrote:Can I set there waypoint especially if is physical?
If the waypoint is virtual then it isn't protected by proximity guidelines and you can place another virtual waypoint there or a physical one. It will create the overlapping icons in mapping programs but if the waypoints are for two different caches then this can't be helped.
toczygroszek wrote:10. I spotted few times member's status "Not Validated Member". I think just his email address is not valid, but can he log in to his account and use it without any restrictions?
I'm not sure on this one so I've sent an email to get further information.

I do know however, that he won't receive any site emails (PQs, watchlists, owner logs, etc) and that there is no longer an option to contact via email from the profile page
toczygroszek wrote:11. Did you really think no.10 was my last question? 8)
:mrgreen:

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:26 pm

12. If multi stage cache has start coordinates in one country (or state) and final container in other which one should be listed in cache page details? Or it's just up to owner?

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:53 pm

Croaghan wrote:
toczygroszek wrote:1. Can you explain me when I should create "reference point" using additional waypoints option? Can't find any information except this:

Reference point AWs can be used for anything you want. A cache I found earlier in the week used it as you suggest to mark an interesting fishpond nearby the cache area:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 01a6&log=y

I still think about this (can't eat, can't sleep ;)), and I asked few days ago on Groundspeak forum about this. And generally people said reference point is not part of multicache but just another spot, and this article in knowledgebase is incorrect. And it may be truth, beacause just after this discussion the article gone...

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:18 am

toczygroszek wrote:12. If multi stage cache has start coordinates in one country (or state) and final container in other which one should be listed in cache page details? Or it's just up to owner?
The starting point should always be the posted coordinates for a multi-cache so you should use the country/state of those.

Same goes for a Mystery/Puzzle cache but sometimes the incorrect country is chosen to give a clue

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Are there any rules about holding an event at a place you have to pay to get in?

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:06 pm

Croaghan wrote:
toczygroszek wrote:10. I spotted few times member's status "Not Validated Member". I think just his email address is not valid, but can he log in to his account and use it without any restrictions?
I'm not sure on this one so I've sent an email to get further information.

I do know however, that he won't receive any site emails (PQs, watchlists, owner logs, etc) and that there is no longer an option to contact via email from the profile page
Got an answer 8)
Yes, the user can still log in to their account and navigate through the site - though they will not be able to access any coordinates. The coordinates will appear as ? marks. The user should visit the following page to validate their account:

http://geocaching.com/v/

If they had entered their email address wrong, they should still be able to visit the following page and update their address and a validation code will be sent:

http://www.geocaching.com/account/Manag ... esses.aspx

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl