March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ask The Reviewer

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ask The Reviewer

Post by Frezeluberz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:46 am

I understand Donmoore's position.
An alternative to asking us would be to ask the event organiser?!
If the organiser says no, harsh though it may seem, then that's about it.

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by parkmoy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:31 am

There is absolutely nothing to stop you attending any event cache and taking a full part. The only stipulation is what you need to do to claim the cache as a 'find' or more correctly as 'attended'.

The craic at the event will more than compensate for what, after all, is only a number :roll:

EDIT: Apologies Niall, just realised this is the 'ask the reviewer' thread and I suppose strictly speaking only you should be answering here.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:33 am

parkmoy wrote:EDIT: Apologies Niall, just realised this is the 'ask the reviewer' thread and I suppose strictly speaking only you should be answering here.
Oops :oops: ... ditto

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:29 am

Donmoore wrote:my opinion would be that you don't go then. Most caches can have stipulations about what you have to do to complete them so an event is no different. Only if they said you were not allowed to go there would be a problem

you could say on a puzzle cache that my iq is not high enough to complete the puzzle so can i log it as a find? or a multi i could say i can not walk that far to complete the cache and so on and so forth.

its only a game and there's no prizes so i wouldn't get to bothered about it
Having a stipulation about how you have to stay in a tent to be part of an event is just stupid in my opinion. Its not in the inclusive spirit of the game. To say that even though you join the group from a b&b (and take part in everything in else that is involved in the event) that you would not be able to register the event as attended unless you camp is just silly. That means that tomorrow I could start a geocaching event tomorrow and stipulate that everyone has to arrive by tricycle and if they dont they wont be able to log the event as found.

Also Don, In case you hadnt noticed, this topic is called ask the reviewer. This was my intention, Im wanting to ask a reviewer, of which you are not one.

Claire xx

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:07 pm

Hence the reason my response started with "my opinion"

So far a reviewer has not responded so you may want to stop following up the thread responses until he does but again that is only my opinion.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Another OPINION! If it is Steve's event we are talking about I would be very surprised if he would stand firmly on that parituclar issue in the event that he was asked, perhaps by PM, as he is very amenable in every way towards all cachers!!

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Sorry to be a pain but I think you should have posted this in the thread and not as a private message to me.
CluelessTwo wrote:Subject: Ask The Reviewer
Donmoore wrote: So far a reviewer has not responded so you may want to stop following up the thread responses until he does but again that is only my opinion.
And likewise.

Hi Kili

Im not sure whose event is. My husband just said we woudlnt be able to go as camping is a stipulation of actually attending the event. I thought no more about it until reading this topic

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=232303

that I started to question things. Im not wanting to cause any problems and actually wont attend an event if someone dosent want me there. But as someone who would like to organise my own event in the future Im just interested.

CrazyL200

Post by CrazyL200 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:43 pm

Just because you're not camping, doesn't mean you can't come to the event and enjoy it. Because it's a camping event, it simply means, if you don't camp, you won't be able to log it as "Attended", there's many who have dropped in to this sort of event in the past, but not worried about logging it.
I'm sure you'll be made more than welcome. Look forward to meeting you :D

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:53 pm

CrazyL200 wrote:Just because you're not camping, doesn't mean you can't come to the event and enjoy it. Because it's a camping event, it simply means, if you don't camp, you won't be able to log it as "Attended", there's many who have dropped in to this sort of event in the past, but not worried about logging it.
So generally you can go to a 2 day event for both days and take part without camping but the lack of tent means you cant log that you have attended? Ok, Im starting to understand a bit more now as to why I wouldnt be able to log it as attended unless I sleep there.

CrazyL200

Post by CrazyL200 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Yes, there's been a few events in the UK that some have turned into a weekend trip for which someone puts up a camping event to compliment the other event(s).
That way, if someone goes to one or more of the weekends events, that someone can log the ones that the criteria have been met for, but still go to (and enjoy) all.
Just because a person isn't able to meet all the criteria to be able to log it as "Attended", doesn't meen they can't be there.

If that makes sense. :roll: #-o

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Of course this is all just opinions from nobodies and we all wait with baited breath to find out the real answer from the Almighty Reviewer!

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:39 pm

If there was a stipulation of camping, and if someone has a condition that means they can't camp then you can't log the cache.
If a cache involves heights, then someone with vertigo or a fear of heights can't do it.
Do whichever caches you can.
There is no point in risking life/health with any cache if you think you are not up to it.

Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Re: Event Caches

Post by Croaghan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:22 pm

CluelessTwo wrote:Im wondering what the guidelines are for event caches. i was interested in going to one recently but wasnt able to because I have acute asthma and wouldnt of been able to stay overnight in a tent (due to damp air etc). I would of been perfectly happy to find a b&b or hotel nearby and attend the event for the days it was running but unfortunately the event cache had a stipulation that you had to stay in a tent. I was disappointed and felt that in this case anyone with severe asthma like mine may be excluded. Especially since asthma is always worse at night when your lungs are laying flat as any fluid etc travels from the bottom upwards.

Is there no guideline to protect for this. I know caches have ratings for terrain but surely event caches should be open to everyone?
Sorry for taking so long to reply to this query but it's been a very busy couple of days and most of my online time has been spent reviewing with ocassional visits to the forum on my phone browser. That's horrible for posting so I waited until I was back at my PC.

Anyway, to answer the question I guess you are referring to this particular section of the guidelines:
Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers.
http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#event

and this event:

GC1X75V Winter Madness III by The Windsockers

In a very strict interpretation of the guidelines this event probably contravenes the above section and shouldn't be published. However, it is one event that is part of a weekend long event-fest with no less than 4 events being hosted by the same person and even 2 on one day with CITO on the morning of the 31st and the camping event that night. Due to the fact that it isn't one single standalone event I don't have a problem with it.

In addition the event organiser has been very accommodating in the past and has supplied a number of cachers with tents when they didn't have any and on one occassion even collected some campers from the airport before supplying them with a tent! I felt that the possible exclusion of being forced to buy a tent may be a step too far to publish the event but having witnessed this behaviour first hand I know the intention is to create a little fun and not to prevent people from claiming a smilie.

I guess your own personal circumstances are a barrier to claiming this event but not to attending it but then you probably also wouldn't fancy attending an event at the top of Sliabh Donard either. If there was a possibility to join everyone afterwards for a drink and a meal would you still go even if you couldn't log an attend? To me you can still go along to this event, enjoy the night's craic, laugh at everyone daring to camp out and roll into your nice, warm, comfortable bed at the B&B and still have had a great time. Does a smilie add anything meaningful to that?

As always this is just my opinion and you're perfectly entitled to dispute it 8)
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Donmoore wrote:Of course this is all just opinions from nobodies and we all wait with baited breath to find out the real answer from the Almighty Reviewer!
Where's that slap icon when you need it :-k

You're just lucky you've stopped placing caches in this neck of the woods :wink:

8)
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:51 pm

CrazyL200 wrote:Just because you're not camping, doesn't mean you can't come to the event and enjoy it. Because it's a camping event, it simply means, if you don't camp, you won't be able to log it as "Attended", there's many who have dropped in to this sort of event in the past, but not worried about logging it.
Yes, this is true as I believe I have been to one or two of Steve's before and have not logged but just turned up for the craic!

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:58 am

Croaghan wrote:
Donmoore wrote:Of course this is all just opinions from nobodies and we all wait with baited breath to find out the real answer from the Almighty Reviewer!
Where's that slap icon when you need it :-k

You're just lucky you've stopped placing caches in this neck of the woods :wink:

8)
Glad you cleared that up.

Oh I know I'm lucky. (no smilies I'm on the the phone)

batsgonemad

Post by batsgonemad » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Hey we got a secret mention there, it was us he collected from the airport, we got to the campsite, tent was up already "thanks Nick and fam" and a heater to boot, cant beat our first introductions to the Irish caching comminity, and as such it seems this event is becoming a bit of a annual event NOT to be missed, so we hope to see you there for all the events even if you cant log the one, trust me you far better off in a B&B when the wind blows it Blows. Nick it could be a new experience for you, with out the tin tent =D>

CrazyL200

Post by CrazyL200 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:38 pm

batsgonemad wrote:..........................
Nick it could be a new experience for you, with out the tin tent =D>
Hmmmm ..............

Hey, now worries, at the risk of giving it a kiss of death, our tent has stood up to some pretty rough weather.
Looking forward to it.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:46 am

Just to point out - there are 4 events taking place over the two days. If you don't camp but still show up you can still get three smilies for the other ones.
It should be a good weekend.

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Fjon wrote:Just to point out - there are 4 events taking place over the two days. If you don't camp but still show up you can still get three smilies for the other ones.
It should be a good weekend.
I didnt quite understand that all the events were interlocked and you could still go and still claim the other parts of it if not camping :oops: . Totally understand why this one would of had no problem being published now.

Claire xx