March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Placement of New|Caches by new cachers

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

dino

Re: Placement of New|Caches by new cachers

Post by dino » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:24 pm

mrmac250 wrote:I have found that I really like the "trickier" caches. The ones that have a few DNF. I'm actually starting to search for these! With this in mind, I've been plotting a series of "Mission Impossible" caches!!! It's very early days, (just started to jot down ideas today!), but I'm thinking of developing a trail of VERY well disguised caches - I don't mean microscopic, I mean well hidden!

Any thoughts on this idea?
Would I get flamed for making it too hard?
Personally I prefer caches that are easy to find. To me it's not so much about finding the box (even though I still do like that and prefer physical caches over virtuals) but about the place that I'm being brought to. However, what can be easy for one person to find can be incredibly difficult for another and even two visits to the same cache can have very different experiences for the same person....believe me I've been there! I'd like to think most if not all of my caches fall into the easy-medium difficulty area but I still get quite a few DNFs on them.

I think the best advice is place the kind of cache you would like to find. If there are enough people hiding caches in the one area (and we're getting quite a gathering in the NW now!) then the variety will be enough to keep everyone happy and after all if you don't like a cache there's no law that you have to find it :wink:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by wildfowler » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:03 pm

I just had my first cache placement published today after 140 odd finds of my own. I've seen all sorts of sizes and shapes of caches and containers so I thought I'd take what I'd learnt and incorporate it into my first and following caches. Things such as -

1. Take you to a nice place to be, somewhere where I've been and enjoyed or maybe means something to me and would like to share with others.

2. Teach you a little something about the area you're visiting.
(Nothing annoys me more about some caches that are placed in beautiful spots that tell you absolutely nothing about the area, all they say instead is that there's a box stuck under a bush, rock etc. You got to be promoting a reason to visit the cache site after all. It's all about quality not quantity in my eyes!)

3. Provide a bit of a challenge to find the cache container. (Not just another box stuck under a bush!)

4. Once you find the container, actually have some stuff in it worth swapping, no more boxes full of rubbish.
(None of the stuff I put in was expensive, just a bit of thought went in to it, apart from the FTF prize which cost slightly more)

Now this just may seem like the ramblings of someone who has been stuck in a darkened room for too long to some but it's only my opinions and thoughts that I thought I should share with you all. Comments are welcomed! (Maybe some think I should be confined to a darkened room permanently! :wink: )

Call me mad if you like but I'm having fun! Just wait to you see what else I've got planned!!! :twisted:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

sukisuix
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by sukisuix » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:51 pm

I have taken on board what wildfowler said. I agree
that the place you are going to put the cache should
be well thought out, with some interest. The cache
containers should have good swaps. And if people
are going to take an item, leave something interesting
or useful. Also have something in it for the kids to
keep them happy.

I am new to this, I will admit. And I've been taking
note of how caches are hidden. Like some I have
found wrapped in plastic bags that are now decaying.
Not a good idea. It is hard to keep them waterproof.
On ebay I saw camoflage drawstring bags for geocaching,
so I got 2 thinking of placing a cache in the future.

Lately I've placed 2 nanos, and I hope that folks have
found them interesting.

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:01 pm

Slightly off topic but I'd like to say that my children were soooooo happy last week to find a few caches after wildfowler had found them as they just loved the inkstamps :D :D especially the sea themed ones.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:06 pm

Glad you liked the ink stamps! I left 4 of them in Donegal. Did you find them all? I bought those in Tescos by the way if you are looking any more.
I always like to leave something fun in caches! Must be my inner child coming out in me! :D
Better that than some of the usual junk you find in caches.
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:50 pm

We collected 3 :D 2 of them were left by you and one by someone else but might have been by you before that iukwim (the ship one was a bit hit, the compass one and the pirate one)

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:51 pm

I bought a few bits and pieces for caches in Tesco myself but didn't notice the inkstamps, must look again next time I get to Letterkenny, thanks for the heads up :D

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 pm

there's some great advice here. My Wife and I are planning to submit our first cache in a couple of months but i'm looking for info on how to ask permission to plant a cache, especially on how to work out who owns what land.

dino

Post by dino » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Just be careful using that nifty iPhone of yours for placing caches. They are notoriously inaccurate when taking waypoints. I see a lot of caches changing coordinates after one or two finds and I'm pretty sure a lot of them are due to iPhones ;)

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 pm

thats a good point. usually it gets more accurate the longer you hang about an area and the spot we're thinking about has no cover. i'm also kind of hoping that when we come to place the cache we'll have a larger amount of finds under our belts and a new GPSr(wife permitting)

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:47 pm

spotted some camo tape on ebay and thought i'd try it out on my first

I've tryed to keep the tape away from the lip and slot under the lid. Is this enough to keep it watertight?

dino

Post by dino » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 pm

The tape will help camouflage the box but won't make it any more watertight. That will depend on your box. It's hard to tell from your photo but it looks like a tab-lock box and if so it should be fine.......now where are you putting it ;)

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 pm

my wife and i have a couple of ideas but i'm going to hold off until wee get a semi decent gps. the iphone is great for handling all the info on the caches and adding field notes but the accuracy can be pants and the battery is no good for extended play.

Would it be ok if i PM'd you closer to the date for advice on permissions etc?

dino

Post by dino » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:25 pm

No problem or you can always email me via my profile(s)?

Either way I don't mind

8)

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Cheers. In the meantime i'm racking up as many finds as possible with a grumpy two year old in tow

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:32 am

That tape looks like good stuff! Where'd you get on eBay and how much?
ImageImage

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:14 pm

It seems like really good quality tape. With a canvas sort of feel, it is a bit expensive but you do get 10 metres
http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.as ... rect%3Doff

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:46 pm

I got Camo Duck Tape, I think its a bit better in that it doesn't hold water when it gets wet.
I think I got it on eBay too, and from memory wasn't too dear.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:06 am

camo duct tape is good gear... used it myself on a few of my caches then my wife got a hold of it and duct taped everything but caches together with it.