March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Recommended Caches

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bootle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Recommended Caches

Post by Bootle » Tue May 23, 2006 2:43 pm

Many moons ago we had a thread where forum members listed their favourite caches and wrote a bit about what they liked about the cache. This info was later incorporated into our "recommended caches" page on the website -

http://www.geocachingireland.com/irishc ... ecommended

The idea OF the page was TO give cache tourists (including those FROM Ireland!) an idea OF what caches ARE recommended by Irish cachers. Since the page was created we have witnessed an explosion OF cache AND cacher numbers, so we're again asking for suggestions and recommendations for people's favourite caches around the country. Hopefully this will make a useful addition TO the site AND be OF help TO tourists. The format IS simple enough - here's what Klaus originally suggested -

"Ok, this thread IS TO recognise the good AND ONLY the good that Ireland has TO offer. Post your favourite OR unmissable caches here. List the waypoint NUMBER, the NAME, ideally a link AND why you think the cache merits your praise. Post AS many times AS you LIKE. One cache per post. ADD pictures if you LIKE. ALL cache types accepted. You can recommend your own caches if you LIKE.

Please refrain FROM discussing individual caches OR expressing strongly negative opinions ON other members recommendations. If you think a cache should NOT be included IN the final listing FOR the website we can discuss that afterwards."

So, please post your recommendations here. We'll stick them up on the site as we go along. Thanks for the help!
Here's the original thread if anyone is interested -

http://www.mccartan.org/forums/viewtopi ... ght=caches
hello...

dino

Post by dino » Tue May 23, 2006 3:29 pm

I'll GO FIRST THEN :)

:trad Fallmore Standing Stones - GCNC60(Co. Mayo)

A long drive AND an effort TO GET TO this one but it's more than worth the effort. Despite the recommendation on the cache page I can't think OF better conditions than the DAY I was there. The sea fog was rolling IN, it was so quiet AND sent shivers up my spine!

The nearby lighthouse IS NOT TO be missed ON a stormy DAY WITH the Atlantic smashing IN AND sometimes almost over the lighthouse itself.

edit: Cache icon added :trad
Last edited by dino on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

dino

Post by dino » Tue May 23, 2006 3:52 pm

:trad Binevenagh View - GCP8AH (Co. Derry)

A nice walk WITH fantastic views across TO Donegal AND Scotland WITH Rathlin just off the coast. It's hard to find a better viewpoint on a good day. The cache is located in a nicely secluded spot so the only risk of muggles is the glider pilots swooshing by. If you get them in a good mood they'll wave AND dip TO say hello.

Bootle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bootle » Wed May 24, 2006 2:00 pm

Thanks Dino!

Fore - GCR2QJ Co. Westmeath

This cache was a REAL surprise - situated IN a relatively UNKNOWN Westmeath village which contains several 13th century buildings centred around the Benedictine Priory. A beautiful, peaceful spot ON a summer's evening, with the local wildlife contributing the only sounds to be heard. Well worth a visit if you're HAVING one OF those "WHERE shall I head today" moments.
hello...

dino

Post by dino » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:08 pm

Apologies for bringing up an old thread but I visited a cache today which I'd consider the best in Ireland by a long shot:

:trad Forever Lost From You In Time - GCXK9N (Co. Sligo)

Read my log for more info but I highly recommend everyone to visit this spot as soon as you get the chance.....go prepared to get wet and mucky though!

I realised today that Sligo is fast becoming my favourite place to cache. To think I used to think it was a manky old county. I was wrong, it's just the town that's like that ;)
Last edited by dino on Wed May 23, 2007 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:23 pm

I'm sure a couple of your "Amigos" up there wouldn't be impressed with that spake! :D

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:51 pm

I know where this is... and have been before, thanks to the Two Amigos. Without giving too much away, it's mentioned in Tony Hawks' book "Round Ireland With A Fridge" and is locally known as "the Glen". It's a brilliant, brilliant place.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:55 pm

I always figured it was the same one mentioned in your log for Quenn Maeve's Tomb so nice to have that confirmed.

I know I've said it before but it's definitely my No.1 cache so far and will take some beating :)

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:34 pm

With Peter (in this thread facing a PQ of almost 500 caches, and considering whether to drop multi's or not), is it not time to resurrect this?

A recent mail from a cacher I met at the 2nd ever event in Ireland, waaay back in March 2004, said: "POIs were what it was all about. I've done a few lately where I've been routed around the countryside to places of no interest and ended up searching for a cache at a gatepost or some other obscure place! Still it gets me out of the house into the fresh air!"

So, folks, could it be done? Be sure to check out the original thread for inspiration.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:21 pm

Lets get the ball rolling on this one again then:

Dawn Rock :trad
Co. Sligo

Nestled between the N4 dual-carriageway and the R284, NE of Collooney, you would almost think this isn't the hardest place in the world to find. On top of a small 130m hill? Well-trodden path to the top? People celebrating mass. :roll:

Think again. People have mass on Croagh Patrick as well. It's not terribly hard, but challenging. Challenging in a way that makes you think about veering off the path and through the trees. Challenging in that kids would have a great time trying to find it. And challenging in that, unless you give up, you'll get to the top, and to the cache - it just might take you some time.

The reward? Views over Knocknaree, the Ox Mountains and a landmark that, once found, you'll always look at while passing on the N4.
Last edited by klaus23 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:31 pm

Hillwalking for the Lazy :trad (combined with Lough Derg Double Cross :trad)
Co. Tipperary

Hard to decide between these two, so best listed as a combination. It's rare to have two cracking caches in close proximity to each other, in line of sight - and it's very, very hard to walk between the two.

Hillwalking for the Lazy is just that - a drive to the top of a mountain. The challenge, however, is to find the correct road. Don't worry, it has all the benefits of hillwalking. Fresh air, great views, solitude. You can also see the other cache, Lough Derg Double Cross, from here. It's up to you if you want to walk or drive.

Lough Derg Double Cross is a place you would probably look at while crusing on Lough Derg and say: I'd love to know how to get up there. A big of religion, a bit of history, a sense of ordinary people doing extraordinary things and more great views.

Realistically, it's a cache desert around here. Which makes it strange that the only other local cache is another corker, Killinaskully.
They seem to know what they're doing down around here. :D

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:40 pm

Wellington Bomber Crash Site :trad
Co. Donegal

The one that made my (and crazy-lady's) weekend after the Summer Event. After missing out on Errigal, twice, we were mad for walking and this was the one I fancied. Kili or Bust's caching opinions hold a lot of sway in these circles and when he mentioned this one, well, I just had to go. It wasn't just my interest in military history, it was an unexplored part of the country for me too.

You know when a geocacher is dedicated when he builds an immaculately assembled and painted 1:72 scale Airfix model of an aircraft to leave in a perspex box at a crash-site, and when he researches an article with lots of information on the cache site and leaves it in the box for you to read. Dedication is trekking over a small range of hills to place a very modern memorial to some very brave men.

Luck in geocaching is when you set out in pouring rain and return in bright sunlight. Luck in geocaching is also spotting a very easy way of getting the 3 miles back to where your car is.

Satisfaction is sitting into your car, nice and dry, having just been thrilled by where you went.

Get there quick folks.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:48 pm

So Far Navar :trad
Co. Fermanagh

No photos can do this site justice on a fine day. You drive to it for around 2 or 3 miles through forest roads, very little views apart from the trees, and then you emerge onto what seems like a balcony overlooking Lough Derg.

I'll borrow SpyCalebs words: "That road through the forest seemed to take forever but nothing could have prepared me for the sight that awaited when finally I emerged to the giant ampitheatre. It is breathtaking."

Head there on a clear, warm day. Satisfaction or your money back.

dino

Post by dino » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:32 am

klaus23 wrote:Wellington Bomber Crash Site :trad
Co. Donegal
You should read kagemu's report of his visit to this cache. It's on GeoX so if you can't read it shout and maybe Philip will repost it here. Link

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:10 pm

Eureeka Cache (Croagh Patrick)
nr. Westport, Co. Mayo.

Similar to Galtybeg, this could be considered a mountain cache for beginners. A busy, well-marked trail leads to the top. 97-year old nuns walk it every year, barefoot. Up and down anywhere between 2hrs (mountain runner), 3.5hrs (average) to 5hrs (unfit or taking your time). All the benefits of mountaineering - great views all round, over Maamtrasna, Clew Bay, Clare Island, Nephin, the Mayo Plains - with some excellent infrastructure - information boards, free car park, showers, pub, Westport. You couldn't want more.

Add all this with a healthy bit of religion and the omnipresence of our national saint, sprinkle with some mythology about banishing snakes and stir in a geocache. Marvellous. Just don't go on the last Sunday in July. 25,000 muggles can't be wrong.

If you were looking for a west of Ireland geocaching way into hillwalking, try this, then Galtybeg, then Brandon and lastly have a go at Carrauntohill. Then you're looking at Donard, Errigal, Lug, Mweelrea... ahhhh, brilliant. There's so many of them now. :D

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:14 pm

Sea-Stack At Downpatrick Head
nr Ballycastle, north Co. Mayo

Ok, it might be an earthcache listed by a holidaymaker, but don't hold that against it. As far as locations go, it's a cracker. Views all along the north Mayo coast, over to Knocknaree and Benbulbin in Sligo, up to Slieve League and Glencolumncille in Donegal. A great geological feature too, and well worth a visit for the tranquility. The downside... caching-wise, it's in the middle of nowhere. :(