March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

What do I do Next

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

jimfin

What do I do Next

Post by jimfin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:09 pm

Hi All
I'm new to all this. Just bought a GPS on Ebay and hope to have it in the next few day.
I've seen some of the cashs on the site but can someone talk me through what I do next to get the ref onto me Gps unit ect.
I live near Boyle and would like to start in the area.

Thanks for any replys

Bootle

Post by Bootle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:06 pm

welcome Jim!
thanks for logging into the forums - hopefully you'll find them useful. There's a couple of ways to get the cache coordinates onto your GPS. The lo-tech way is to manually create a "waypoint" in your GPS. Your GPS instructions should tell you how to do this, but if they dont, let us know the make and model of your GPS and we should be able to give more specific advice. Once you've figured out how to create a waypoint, enter the coordinnates from the cache that you are interested in and save that waypoint. Then simply choose the "goto" option for that waypoint and follow the arrow on your GPS. The slightly more high-tech way of getting waypoints onto your GPS is to download the waypoint information in a .loc file from the relevant cache page and transfer it to your gps using third party software such as Mapsource or Easy GPS, and a special cable linnking your gps to your PC. We can give you more details on that once you get the relevant cable for your GPS.

There's a great cache near Boyle called "Rapunzel". It would make a great first cache when you have some free time. Here's a link to the cache page

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... a4ac1068ce

Here's a list of the nearest caches to Boyle

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest. ... mss=18.010

happy hunting!
hello...

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:10 pm

Well first of all welcome to the forum and to the hobby for that matter. We badly need somebody around your territory as there is a wonderland of opportunities down your way to place caches and if you look at any cache map of the country you will see that they are sparse enough between you and the midlands.

The tekky guys will surely give you all the info you need (and I'm sure you got some kind of instructions with your unit) but basically you make sure your GPSr is set on WGS84 and simply input the coordinates given at the top of a cache listing and then point your nose in the direction the compass arrow on the little screen gives and Bobs your uncle! There will probably be a bit of trial and error the first few times but you will get it pretty quickly.

MadraRua

Post by MadraRua » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:35 pm

Yes, the WGS84 bit is really important!
Welcome btw

jimfin

What Next

Post by jimfin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks for the reply guys, and maybe gals! I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend, the black and white one, and hope to have it in the next day or so.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:37 pm

That's the same model I have so when you get it post here and I'll help if I can.

Welcome to the forum :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

MadraRua

Post by MadraRua » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:57 pm

dino wrote:That's the same model I have so when you get it post here and I'll help if I can.
Don't believe anything he tells you about the eTrex Legend or geocaching.
He has proven on RTE that he has no clue what he is doing.
He even had to go and find his own caches because he can''t find anybody elses!

:wink:

(Seriously, I'm only joking. If anybody can help you it's the pink feckin' dinosaur.)

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:43 pm

No, he was right the first time, don't believe a word he tells you! He has been spinning us all a yarn about coins now, lovely pictures and all, since God was a child and not a sign of anything metal yet!!! :wink:

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:52 pm

Sure you're not even interested in them things ;)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Netdrum

Welcome

Post by Netdrum » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Welcome to GeoCaching, I have just started a few weeks ago too and am hooked big time. The guys here are great plenty of support and help to get you started

Enjoy

miah505

Re: What do I do Next

Post by miah505 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 am

Welcome Jimfin & Netdrum. These forums are a great place to get help when you need it as I find out every time I have a problem. Happy hunting! :)

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:59 am

Heh, Hello and Hi.
Watch out for the crazies!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:42 pm

hello to all,
Netdrum have you been around before the name seems familiar

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Like this Netdrum?

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:02 pm

thats the guy...are ye one in the same person?

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:25 am

Am I missing something here but this thread seems to have been resurrected after 4 years yesterday. I'm all for welcomes but seems a tad on tardy side ? :?
Last edited by medic143 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:53 am

haha just noticed that myself!
Was trying to figure out how netdrum had "just started caching" but didnt have any finds in 2011

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 am

Lock the thread.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:48 pm

medic143 wrote:Am I missing something here but this thread seems to have been resurrected after 4 years yesterday. I'm all for welcomes but seems a tad on tardy side ? :?
Nope, hadn't spotted that myself either.
How the heck did you come across this thead miah505??

miah505

Post by miah505 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:24 pm

Showed up as having new post. Blind as a bat here--never even looked at the dates. God knows how I manage to find any caches!!!!!! lol!!!!