March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

WAY out West! - Destination Galway

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Yer_Man
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Title: Horse LOL

WAY out West! - Destination Galway

Post by Yer_Man » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:30 pm

I have a day off next Wednesday (Nov26) & I'm going caching in Galway. If anyone is interested in pairing up for the day, either if you live out that way or want to come for the journey too, let me know. I'm looking at at least 15 locations there and a few on the return journey to Dublin.

I am also off this coming Thursday and am available in the afternoon, from noon onwards. Location Dublin to re-try some of my previous 44 DNF's.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
John
Yer_Man

diosma1
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m
Title: **Child**

Re: WAY out West! - Destination Galway

Post by diosma1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Well I don't live too far from Galway (about 1 hour) and there's like 5 caches here, so maybe you could come here on Thursday or something. I don't know yet. I'll get back to you, but it's a possibility :)

EDIT: I won't be able to do Thursday, will check out Wednesday next for you now

Yer_Man
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Yer_Man » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Heya diosma, Cheers for your swift reply.
No problemo re Thursday & looking forward to your reply regarding possible availability for Nov26

PS for others: Regarding this Thursday (Nov20) it's more like Dublin & Wicklow

diosma1
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m

Post by diosma1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:53 pm

What time on Wednesday would you be doing this?

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:13 am

If you had any problems / dnf's on my caches just message me for some tips.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Yer_Man
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Yer_Man » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Aah nice1 Blue Jay, that's a really nice offer!...I'll review the DNF's to have a look @ the C.O's!
While I have you, I spotted your post from April or May, asking if any1 was going to Galway & would they be available to do some maintenance, I noted you had no replies, so if you still are looking, send me the locations & hopefully I can do it for you.
Cheers, John
Yer_Man

(PS: PM sent to diosma1 re last q.)

Yer_Man
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Yer_Man » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:51 am

I would like it to be noted that communication with diosma1 has ceased! as he is a child!!!

If anyone else, over the age of 30 would like to pair up for caching in Galway next Wednesday (Nov26), prease RSVP
Thankyou.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:40 pm

@diosma1 As communicated with you previously, please do not be meeting strangers, geocachers or others without the presence of a guardian.

diosma1
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m

Post by diosma1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:35 pm

@donnacha And as I have said, I do this with full permission with my parents, and my aunt and I have actually met yer_man before. And of course I wouldn't meet geocachers on my own without the presence of a parent/guardian, even those that I know. I was going to go with my mum who is way over 30 (but won't get into exact details.. :) )

Yer_Man
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Yer_Man » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:22 pm

An open reply to put a lid on this matter.....

I thought at all times that I was corresponding with an adult, who was a C.O.- there was no information on disoma's profile in relation to age or sex. When I discovered that he was TWELVE, I sent him a very short reply to cease communication.
Then I Emailed both Admin and disomas's aunt.
disoma mentioned in the last post that he "met me", well I had to wrack my brain to figure out who it might be, and I did recall a boy who was at the C.I.T.O event in Bray, who was there with his aunt. That was with a group of about ten cachers who were visiting GC43. We had a brief chat. We did NOT become friends!
In general terms, for normal people, it is NOT acceptable behaviour for a child to contact an adult, who is not a relative!

Yer_Man

diosma1
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m

Post by diosma1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Sorry if there were any misunderstandings. Let's just bury the hatchet and move on :)

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:08 am

@diosma1 To avoid confusion in future please be up front with people that you are underage when communicating. I have also added a child attribute to your profile.