March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Dubai

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Dubai

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 pm

After looking forward to this trip for over a year now, we're finally off to Dubai this Sunday! As I'm sure i've mentioned already in another thread on the forum, we plan to make a cache there our 1,000th find. It's "Build Your House On The Rock" an Earthcache.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC282V6 We've no other plans for geocaching over there. We'll just nab them if we find ourselves nearby any & do our best not to get arrested in the process :) Let's hope it all goes well! Nearly broke the GPSr today when I let it fall. I had trouble getting it to turn on again but it did, eventually 8-[ Looking forward to seeing those that can make it at the Milestone Celebration event in Howth soon. See y'all then!

Abbey

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Dubai

Post by MunsterFan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 am

Have a great trip and we might even get a delegation together from the south to celebrate with you when ye get back!

dino

Post by dino » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:45 am

Have a great time :mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 am

I published a new puzzle cache last night in the city centre http://coord.info/GC44KR2 - and the Flag Counter already has a UAE flag on it - I wonder who that could be... 8)

Enjoy the sunshine. You'll be pleased to hear it is still lashing in Dublin.
Image Image

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:38 am

What a coincidence! :lol: I looked at all my flag countered caches to stick the flag on there too though some had it already. We tried looking for a cache yesterday, it had a couple dnfs on it, anyway it wasn't worth getting the attention of the security nearby so we left it. Haven't been right beside others and we're not pushed to go out of our way to go caching over here, it's not like we're driving ourselves around the place, so the 1 will do 8) We plan on getting it tonight (8pm at the Burj Khalifa, (4pm Dublin time)) Our 1,000th Geocache! WooHoo!!! 8)

(I hope the CO accepts our answers to the logging requirements! :shock: :lol:)

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Looks like you've made it - congratulations on the big 1000! =D>
Image Image

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 am