March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Brighton, London and Amsterdam

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Brighton, London and Amsterdam

Post by THE_Chris » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Ok so I'm off on a jaunt to Brighton and London in October. I've done a lot of caching in Brighton due to regular trips but I have my eye on this...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC3QG5X
And this -> http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC3XB4K

So I'm ok there. I have about six hours in London thanks to some cheap train tickets and will be looking to do stuff within reasonable walking distance of London Victoria. I've been thinking of hitting virtuals and earthcaches, anyone done much in that area?

Later in October I'm off on another jaunt to Amsterdam. I'll be staying near the Vondelpark. Anyone any suggestions, preferably walking distance as I'll have a major hangover while caching?

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Brighton, London and Amsterdam

Post by Serapis » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi Chris,
Done a bit of caching in London. I have to say first of course is that I don't like urban caching whether it's in London or anywhere urban, its not that I don't like London in particular.
My observations are that the GPSr can be very wobbly around large/tall buildings, once I went into the City to look for an Earthcache and I was all over the place and only lucky to find the co-ords.
As a urban cache-o-phobe I get a bit freaked out by the security situation, whereas nothing has ever happened to me, I have an English caching acquaintance who got in a right spot of bother with the metropolitan police. A lot of caches carry advice on what to do in these situations and a lot don't, so be aware. Also there are CC TV cameras everywhere in London, absolutely everywhere, it’s truly a big brother situation.

One of my favourite series in London is The London Rainbow Cache series
http://coord.info/GC56EB - a multi & virtual combined which has you finding interesting places without physical containers. Takes a bit of time and ‘tubing’ but rewarding.

Personally I find that when I go to London its always good to have a plan, for some reason spontaneous caching with me in London doesn’t work – to many distractions I suppose, (and a wife who always insists the best caches are to found along Oxford St!!!).

Another observation is that not a lot of the big parks have an awful of caches in them, say in comparison to the Phoenix Pk in Dublin. There is a cool looking series of caches after recently coming on line called The Lost River Fleet…one of which is http://coord.info/GC2PT3T.

Anyway enjoy the trip.
Last edited by Serapis on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:50 pm

That looks a nice little series around the River Fleet - I've made a note in case I ever get around to caching in London. [:D]

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Looks good... I was thinking about the London Rainbow series... most of them are walking distance of Victoria station except for one or two awkward sods that are miles away. I might concentrate on virtuals to get the numbers of those up!