March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Corran Tuathail (Ireland's Highest Cache)

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

geolissu

Corran Tuathail (Ireland's Highest Cache)

Post by geolissu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Hello and greetings from Finland:) I'm planning a trip to Ireland at some point next year hoping to get
the cache "Corran Tuathail" (GCJ39P). I definitely won't dare to go there alone and I thought it to be brilliant anyway to meet other cachers and see that staggering place together:) So would there be anybody or any group of cachers willing to go and count me in...?

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Corran Tuathail (Ireland's Highest Cache)

Post by THE_Chris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:43 pm

How about setting up an event? You could have the event PROPER in a pub nearby in the evening, but say on the event page that you're meeting say at 9am to go climb the mountain.

I presume this is allowed? (I dont think you can have an event to climb the mountain and get that cache but I could be wrong)

dino

Post by dino » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:28 pm

THE_Chris wrote:How about setting up an event? You could have the event PROPER in a pub nearby in the evening, but say on the event page that you're meeting say at 9am to go climb the mountain.

I presume this is allowed? (I dont think you can have an event to climb the mountain and get that cache but I could be wrong)
You're correct but what you propose will work :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

LiteBytes

Post by LiteBytes » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Sounds like a fabulous idea. I for one would definitely be up for it if that's ok?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Good idea. I've been there three times to attempt it (failed twice due to weather). Glenbeigh is probably the best place to base yourself. The Glenbeigh House (I think that's what it's called) would suit an event. You could also have the event in Killarney which is much bigger but also a bit further away.
Best of luck with the climb if you do it! I wouldn't try it though if the weather is bad. It's not a huge mountain but people underestimate it and there are deaths here most years.

geolissu

Post by geolissu » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:42 pm

That idea of an event sounds better all the time and I think I'm going to base myself as near as possible since Corran Tuathail would be the main target of my holiday. I've planned to come for a week and I hope that is long enough to wait for a good weather. Is there some time better than the other weather-wise between april and july? I seem to need loads of help and hints along the way with everything and I'm impressed and very happy that I've got all theses replies:) Thank You!

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:07 pm

geolissu wrote:Is there some time better than the other weather-wise between april and july?
It's a gamble no matter what time of year you go at. This is the west of Ireland and there is never a guarantee of sunny weather! Having said that though the months before and after summer (May and September) would offer reasonably good chances of dry weather. The closer to June obviously the more daylight. I am not sure you would have enough daylight early in the year.

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Great idea.
I was there 3 times but didn`t know that time about geocaching .... grrr
Will be back for sure but during spring time next year to do a horse shoe route (3 highest peaks at once).
Good Luck anyway!
I wish you .... safe trip and no clouds on the top :)
I had this condition in May this year.

Wish you similar!

geolissu

Post by geolissu » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:09 pm

May sounds and looks good! I can't wait:)

geolissu

Post by geolissu » Wed May 01, 2013 6:50 pm

This is hopefully a dream come true...if You are interested, check this: http://coord.info/GC4597Y :)