March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Faroe Islands!

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Faroe Islands!

Post by Spark_ie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Well folks, just back from a week in the beautiful Faroe Islands.. Only missed Sarge by a few days !! :wink: :wink:

The scenery is out of this world, like something from a fairytale!

Managed to pick up 20 caches during our week there, so nice to have another flag for the stats page!

Here are just a few (of many!) pictures: (Sorry for those of you on slow connections!)

View at Kallur Lighthouse (GC2GTJB)

Gjorv Village

Gjorv Harbour

Gjorv Cliffs (GCWFVZ)

Gasadalur Waterfall

Puffins 8)

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Faroe Islands!

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:44 pm

Wow wow wow - amazing - jealous.com :mrgreen:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:54 am

Wow, looks really amazing. Would love to go some day - how do you get there?

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:30 am

Couple of ways....

We fley with Atlantic Airways from London Gatwick. (www.atlantic.fo)

I know Robbie (SargeNI) went by cruise ship - There are multiple options, UK - Faroes - Iceland. Denmark - Faroes - Iceland. Netherlands - Faroes - USA.

I met a Danish sailor in one guesthouse, who sailed his yacht from Denmark to Faroes, and was then going to St Kilda and the Outer Hebrides.. !

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:38 am

So green. Scenery looks out of this world.

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Photos look fantastic - unfortunately the day we spent there it was warm but over cast so my photos did not do justice to the scenery. While my scenery may not look so well I think I can trump you on photos of puffins.

We also had the problem of arriving on a Sunday and everything was shut and no buses to get out and around the island, but we did walk 16Km caching, picking up about 10 caches and 5 DNF's.

As a mater of interest how do you upload photos like those above - to allow me to upload some of Iceland?

The seeker1872

Post by The seeker1872 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Wow looks amazing. Your o the waterfall I seen one nearly identical in the paper this week, in fact it may be your pic if you entered it in a competition.

The pics are stunning hope you had a great time.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:15 pm

SargeNI wrote:Photos look fantastic - unfortunately the day we spent there it was warm but over cast so my photos did not do justice to the scenery. While my scenery may not look so well I think I can trump you on photos of puffins.

We also had the problem of arriving on a Sunday and everything was shut and no buses to get out and around the island, but we did walk 16Km caching, picking up about 10 caches and 5 DNF's.

As a mater of interest how do you upload photos like those above - to allow me to upload some of Iceland?

I have a photobucket account, where I create folders and upload my pictures.
Once they're up there you can link to them from here using the [img] tags

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:13 pm

That's so beautiful! I've always wanted to go there but I really want to go there now!