March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

China!

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

China!

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:36 pm

So off to China for a little break with Toffee Man on May 2nd :D
Very excited too - arriving in Beijing - then Xi'an , Guilin, Yangshuo, Hong Kong & Shaghai.
Plan to come home exhausted but happy.
Can't wait. :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

medic143

Re: China!

Post by medic143 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:45 am

Enjoy the trip.

Have a look at the UK & Ireland reviewers area on Facebook. Comments there from someone just back from China. They might be able to give you a few points on things to do (or more importantly not do )

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:49 pm

=D> China is on the top of my Bucket List.. Enjoy!!
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Blue Jay wrote:So off to China for a little break with Toffee Man on May 2nd :D ..........

and "Shaghai" ??. Plan to come home exhausted but happy.
Can't wait. :D
To much information!! :oops: :shock: [-X
Up is good!!

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Alan, quick off the mark as ever :-) Lol

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Dirty minds :shock: :shock: :shock:

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:00 am

Hints for China having just come back...

Lots of Virtuals: Be prepared to snap a lot of photos ;)
Mostly English: As nearly all the caches are hidden by European and American Ex-Pats (and as far as I can tell reviewed by Americans), most cache pages are already in English so this makes life easy.
Hide Types: Most Chinese city streets and parks are kept spotless by armies of cleaners (wish the same was true for the air!) so you wont tend to find many caches hidden in the way we hide urbans over here. Be prepared to enter restaurants and small squares as the cache is sometimes hidden in the foyers. I know this is technically against T&Cs but with the general concern of "hidden boxes" in such a controlled country, understandable.
Pay to Enter: A LOT of Bejing Caches in particular are in Parks or Temples where there is a small entry fee, be prepared to cough up a little to grab some ;)
Translation Service: My girlfriend Zhoay has offered to translate anything you might need help with as her Masters in Mandarin / English translation > Google :P

I didnt do Hong Kong, but apparently it is a more "European" caching experience there ;)

Good Luck!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks Zal & thanks to you both for the help with the puzzle - funny thing was I had got the one Zhaoy had missed - the politician :D
Looking forward to it.