March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Austria, Slovakia and Hungary

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Zalgariath

Austria, Slovakia and Hungary

Post by Zalgariath » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Next (and last) Eurotrip is heading East next week with Caching stops in Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest :D

Zalgariath

Re: Austria, Slovakia and Hungary

Post by Zalgariath » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Awesome Trip. Here is a run down!

Vienna, Austria: Caching in Vienna is tough without German. Maybe 1/3 caches have English translations. Lots of LONG multis and lots of caches which require all the pictures so they were out. Also a ton of Puzzles... not the best tourist caching city but would be awesome if you lived there and had the time.

Bratislava, Slovakia: I was really surprised, and happily so. Most caches were provided with English translations, a good mix of Multi, Puzzle, Field Puzzle, and Trads... plus a great WIG. Small city so easy to wander around in a few days and some great caches in the mix. Plus it is cheap, the beer and food are great. Recommended if you want a quick (weekend even) Caching Holiday.

Budapest, Hungary: One of my new favourite cities. Caching aside, it's an awesome place... with caching and fine spring weather it is pure gold. A top mix of cache types including LOTS of Virtuals. It is a big place so expect lots of walking. Short and long multis plus solvable puzzles and most caches come with in Hungarian, English AND German on the pages. It is a joy to walk around the cache density is bang on. Not too packed, but you are not hiking 2km between each find. Some nasty city micros as always, but usually considerately positioned. Like it! :D

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Austria, Slovakia and Hungary

Post by Blue Jay » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback there Zalgariath. I have Budapest on my list for a while so think I'll be adding Bratislava now. :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde