March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

China! (Shanghai, Nanjing and Beijing)

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Zalgariath

China! (Shanghai, Nanjing and Beijing)

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:59 pm

...and can you believe there are only 412 caches... in the WHOLE COUNTRY :(

Gonna have to be careful about the geostreak ;)
Last edited by Zalgariath on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: China! (Shanhai, Nanjing and Beijing)

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:50 pm

When are you off Zalgariath? Just looking at planning a similar trip at the moment.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Zalgariath

Re: China! (Shanghai, Nanjing and Beijing)

Post by Zalgariath » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Tomorrow morning ;) 2 weeks!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Cool - enjoy - I'll be looking for loads of tips etc when you get back :D

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Im back!

It was a great trip... and the good news is it wouldnt be difficult to plan... as there are only 400 caches in the whole country ;)

Most are in Beijing, Hongkong (which I didnt get to) and Shanghai naturally. China must have the highest proportion of virtual caches of any country in the world.

90% of them seem to have been hidden by ex-pats from the UK and USA so they are all in English, but on occaision I was very glad having Zhaomin my Chinese girlfriend with me as some of the caches required local knowledge if not translation (reading signs etc).

The biggest problem was Google Maps are offset 200m in China, so preload your device with OSM or Nearmaps. Google Satellite images are fine.

I have placed one cache in Beijing which is being watched by a friend there :D (Not published yet). Did find a small problem of a lot being disabled as the owners are no longer living nearby, but otherwise I JUST managed to keep the geostreak going :D

Good Luck! (Now to write the logs :P)

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Welcome back - we travel on May 2nd - so let me know when it's published - was browing some caches in Beijing and saw your name on the the logs and Pics too -on: Is it a bird? cache :D

Any Particular tips would be appreciated as we won't have the luxury of a Chinese friend with us :D (like which Opium war was it anyhow?)

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:01 pm

The only real probs you may encounter are the local knowledge Puzzles... everything is pretty much English. Zhao solved the Opium War one, I think the answer is Google-able and it may be the second war. Hoping to have my new one ready to publish this week.

Oh one big hint... you may read a lot of slightly 'odd' logs about caches having to be in secure locations. Expect to pay to get in to a good number of them. They are often in parks or attractions that require a fee. Usually it is only 200RMB (30c) or so ;) The other thing is a number of guidelines are quietly ignored. The main one being cache in commercial properties. While on occasion this is even expressly stated on the cache page, a number of existing (and perhaps at least 1 future cache.. hint hint) require you to go into a hostel, restaurant, tea house or shop and ask for the cache... or at least directions.

Many caches therefore are not 24h accessible as the shop / park / temple closes. Again, google maps do NOT work, and like any big urban area sats can be sketchy at best, particularly Shanghai with all the HUGE buildings.

I just finished logging all my 24 caches in China. Lots of virtuals but they are nearly all quick and easy.

Good Luck! Looking forward to your logs ;)