March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Florida......Again

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

medic143

Florida......Again

Post by medic143 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:49 am

We're off on Monday morning for our annual trip to Orlando (2 weeks this time). 4500 caches in the Oregon - the area was always cache rich but I think the megas that have been held in central florida has seen an explosion of caches to the North - some great jeep trail series but won't have the vehicle to tackle them on this trip.

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Florida......Again

Post by SargeNI » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Life is rough :D

Hope you both have a great time, I guess the weather will be a little better there than it is here and a lot more conducive to caching then our climate :wink:

I guess the 9000 will be broken before you come home. =D>

Totally envious :mrgreen:

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Hope you both have a wonderful time - and don't forget to think of us here working away & freezing our butts off :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Safe Journey and have a good time. Have you decided which one you are going to use as a 9000th? Maybe you might reach 10,000th?

The Casual Geocacher

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:13 am

Although we're doing some trails don't think the numbers will be too exciting unless it cools down a bit. Had 110 done by midday yesterday but at that stage it was 27C and just too warm so that was it for caching for the day.

If I do pass 9000 it will probably be some random micro in a series. Problem (and it's a terrible problem to have 8) ) is that coming to florida regularly we have done some of the better ones already and with this being a shorter trip for us most of the caching is going to be ones passed on the way to somewhere or part of trail done before/after some other activity.

Heart breaking walking round some of the shops with the pricing here. A kayak I recommend to a cacher at €450 at home - good value for Ireland - is on sale here for the equivalent (after tax) of about €260. :evil:

You can get a new kindle touch for about €75 and the non touch version is about €100 at home. Liked the kindle fire (about €160) but think I have too many gadgets. That said really really liking the look of the GoPro Hero 2 HD helmet cam for around €265.....Happy Christmas to me [-o<

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Bah, humbug! :lol:
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~