March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Washington & NY

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

medic143

Washington & NY

Post by medic143 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Freakycat and I are off on Monday to Washington & NYC. Half the trip is road based with plans to visit some of the main Civil War sites including Gettysburg, Bull Run and Antitem (have been on the US warship named after the later on a previous trip many years ago).

Not really a caching trip so will only have about 5000 caches loaded into the units. :lol:

Caching targets are mainly focused on ticking off 8 new states and picking up as many virtuals and earthcaches as we can come across. Other than that we'll take whatever easy 1:1's we come across on our travels.

No powertrails this time :wink:

Donmoore

Re: Washington & NY

Post by Donmoore » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:30 pm

The ET is getting a grand re-opening this weekend.

Hopefully Irene will be well out of the way by the time you get here. NY is a good starting point for getting a lot of states knocked off.
Enjoy

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Safe travels! I wish I was going!! (then again, this increases my chances of winning some competitions with Freakycat out of the country! \:D/ [-o< :wink:) I hope Irene doesn't effect your trip. Sounds like a great plan you have. Washington has tonnes of virtuals! It's on our places to see list.

Great to hear about the ET trail also. That's on our to see list too 8)

Abbey

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:18 am

Enjoy the trip, I hope Irene doesn't mess it up for ye, they are starting to cancel flights :( :( :(

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Serapis wrote:Enjoy the trip, I hope Irene doesn't mess it up for ye, they are starting to cancel flights :( :( :(
Presently flights are only cancelled for Saturday and Sunday. Forecast for Monday (the day we fly) is no wind or rain and clear skies. If I read the Aer Lingus site correctly the plane should be sitting on the tarmac in Dublin waiting to fly at present.

We lost a few days off our last big trip to the US as a result of originally flying out on the only day affected by Volconic Ash. Could afford the loss that time but too many places to see we've never been before to afford any shortening of the trip this time.

I have already made a liar of myself. #-o

I came across a 120 cache power trail (est 4 hours based on logs) which only a slight detour on one of our days so you couldn't pass it up, could you :roll:

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Have a wonderful wonderful time :)

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Enjoy your trip, sounds like you will go to 10000 over there ;-)

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:33 am

Just got the email to say our flight from NYC to Washington is cancelled. Have to wait until 0900 this morning to ring them and see what's going to happen. :(

After being on hold for 35 minutes the Aer Lingus offered to fly me out 6 days later. When I asked about what they could do in the form of alternative transport (something I thought was required of them under the EU rules) I was told that was nothing to do with them. :evil: :evil:

Currently have the Washington flight cancelled with them ("you won't get much of a refund on this"). Have a train journey booked with Amtrak ($170 extra costs) and have my car hire changed from the airport to the train station (actually handier for later in the holiday and saved €15).

Means getting in to the hotel at about 4AM our time (yet another trip where I'm driving at night after being up almost 24 hours :( ) but at least it looks like we're getting to go with losing any days. \:D/

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:02 am

Sounds like an interesting start for a holiday - some recent earthquakes have occurred in the last few days along the east coast as well - just to make your trip more interesting :shock:

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:32 pm

thomasvm wrote:Sounds like an interesting start for a holiday - some recent earthquakes have occurred in the last few days along the east coast as well - just to make your trip more interesting :shock:
One our planned visits - the washington monument -looks gone as they found cracks and I doubt it will reopen any time soon based on the current press release, National Catherdral is closed as well. The reflection pool was drained anyway so that put an end to one of the planned photo opps.

Was slightly more concerened about reading local nuclear power stations are only rated for 6.2 earthquakes.

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:52 am

wonder what size of earthquake the nuclear power stations in the UK/Wales are rated for ??
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

medic143

Post by medic143 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:09 am

Got email sitting in the airport to say all trains cancelled today. Am now relying on a bus to get me to wdc in time to collect my hire car (not a 24 hour location) as our first hotel is 90 minutes from Washington

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:25 am

Good luck :D

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:51 pm

How all goes well - after your shaky start.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:29 am

Arrived at the bus stop an hour early and got talking to the driver of the earlier bus to find out that my bus would not be running (not email about that !!).

Were 2 of the lucky 7 who got the remaining seats on the early bus. Made the hire car, got to the hotel and should be all plaing sailing

Gettysburg here we come. 8)

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:23 am

Fantastic - now go & enjoy - but keep us updated too :D

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 pm

Got to admire your determination. =D>

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Arrived at second hotel for the next hiccup. "Welcome Sir, you're booked in for one night, will you be paying by Visa?" said the receptionist.

"Actually, I'm booked in for five nights and it's all prepayed."

There then ensued 15 minutes of frantic searching and typing (I had all my paperwork and references with me) before a smiling face reappeared with my room keys.

The actual trip goes well. Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry, Mannanassas and Antietam all visited and all well worth it. $3 each for entry into the parks (except gettysburg $11) for guided tours, films, museums, etc - and the ticket lasts for three days. About 60 caches so far all either on battlefields or C&Ds as we've been driving somewhere.

Can't help but wonder what USA tourists think of paying €6 each to look at the cliffs of Moher once.

@Eileen - after four months I finally got rid of that bloody TB (Red Hand) you stuck me with - took me that long to find a cache that was big enough to leave it in. Now it can make it's own way home to California.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:45 am

What do ya mean ? :shock: :shock: :shock:

First - I didn't stick you with it, you offered !!!!!!!!!!! Second I believe it was at the Cache & Cofffee on the 3rd of August so just 1 month ago!!!!! And thirdly you were supposed to take it to Ulster to fulfill it's mission!!!!! Not USA!!! Remember you were going to Carnfunnock???

Glad all is going well with the holiday though :D

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:01 am

Blue Jay wrote:
Second I believe it was at the Cache & Cofffee on the 3rd of August so just 1 month ago!!!!! And thirdly you were supposed to take it to Ulster to fulfill it's mission!!!!! Not USA!!! Remember you were going to Carnfunnock???
D
You know I must really tired. Was actually logged into Lisa's account when I checked the date but her preferences are still set to US so It read 8/3 not 3/8. Should have realised it wasn't four months but what the hell.

Once the TB visited Ulster couldn't get rid of the bloody thing as it wouldn't fit into any container I found (hence the stuck with). Emailed the owner that I was coming to the USA and did he want it back or left in Ireland....eventually. Opted for it's return. Hell of a TB has done 32000km already.

Cache it was dropped in was an old chest freeze in a hut in a some woods. Americans don't do things by halves/