March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

New York

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

junglemac
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

New York

Post by junglemac » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Just dropping a small note to say i'm off to NYC in November for a week. Anyone been before and got advise?

Planning on doing the Bridges and Arches of Central Park cache GC17MX1 and a few others in Midtown Manhattan. Will also be dropping off a few Geocoins in a TB hotel and picking up a few others so if you want any taken stateside then let me know.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: New York

Post by daraconn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:40 pm

I was caching there a few years ago. I was actually surprised by the low density of caches in Manhattan relative to Dublin (and relative to other parts of the US). Maybe that's changed since. The best caching in my opinion is in Central Park. You can easily spend a happy day or half-day caching around the park and it's a fabulous place anyway.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:17 pm

NYC is my top destination. I went back in the day before caching. Then went last year on a road trip and was only going to have time to pick up a couple of caches. Thought sure there'd be a virtual at the very least on the Statue of liberty so took the boat out while my bro-in-law kept sending me cache details.... turns out there wasn't a cache there and even worse Liberty is in New Jersey anyhow! so stayed on the boat as there was dense fog got back and found a couple on the NJ dock then headed home. Only managed to knock NY state off this year when going to Geowoodstock.

So I dont have the best of caching advice for NYC but can't recommend the destination itself highly enough!

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:02 am

Myself and Freakycat will be there in Early Septembe. The bunch of earth caches that can be done while visiting Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty have caught my eye. Will let you know how we get on.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:35 am

Donmoore wrote:Thought sure there'd be a virtual at the very least on the Statue of liberty so took the boat out while my bro-in-law kept sending me cache details.... turns out there wasn't a cache there and even worse Liberty is in New Jersey anyhow!
Liberty Island is an exclave - the island itself is part of New York State but is completely surrounded by New Jersey waters. New Jersey attempted to sue some years back but the court refused to hear the case.

(Enclaves and exclaves are fascinating little quirks of geography and history - to me anyway).

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:16 am

daraconn wrote: Liberty Island is an exclave - the island itself is part of New York State but is completely surrounded by New Jersey waters. New Jersey attempted to sue some years back but the court refused to hear the case.

(Enclaves and exclaves are fascinating little quirks of geography and history - to me anyway).
Interesting indeed. I knew there had to be something to it as for all these years you would automatically think of her and NY together. Not surprised NJ tried to sue, bit of a money spinner.

junglemac
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by junglemac » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Just popping back into this thread to let everyone know i'ff off stateside this weekend coming. I'll be stopping overnight(friday) in the Bewleys hotel Dublin airport, so i'll have a chance to visit the TB hotel at the airport to collect any TB's or coins that want to travel over. I've 2 caches in Manhattan lined up to take them.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Thu May 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Off to NY myself now tomorrow, for a week - Really looking forward to it as you can imagine 8)

Not planning on any day trips out of the city, there's tonnes of stuff to do and see and there looks to be some nice caches there, and I've solved a few puzzles, but we'll see how we get on!

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:21 am

Central Park was my preferred spot for caching in NYC. Ellis Island and The Intrepid are my personal picks of the tourist stuff. Enjoy.