March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Granada, Spain

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Step_7

Granada, Spain

Post by Step_7 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Just a family holiday but I've been promised some free time in the mountains so should get a few caches completed before the trip is over. I've plenty of caches loaded up on the laptop and stored in my shiny new eTrex so we'll see how it goes. 8)

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:31 pm

If you get the chance and the time Mulhacen (Spain's highest peak and with a cache on top) is worth a look while you are in the mountains. I think Sunday (but check the day first as I think it only runs once or twice weekly)) is a good day for it as a tourist bus runs from the small Alpujarras town of Capileira which takes you a long way up toward the ascent, otherwise there is a very long walk and the climb! The top 1000 metres is in the altitude "panting" zone so be aware of it. Spectacular views and not a difficult climb at all! There is also a fantastic all day hike to the summit from the high town of Tevelez but only if hiking high is your thing!

Granada itself is a lovely city and apart from the obvious Alhambra, a must see (though this time of year will have major tourist traffic), the town has plenty of caches in and around all the popular sites (but mostly the small magnetic type which are fairly uninteresting in themselves). There are great value hotels everywhere and the lively town has wonderful parks and museums. It was the home of Federico Garcia Lorca, one of Spains most famous poets, and one of the parks of the city was originally his family's country residence now turned into a permanent museum dedicated to the poet and his works, another must see. There are caches there and at many other sites outside the city where there are memorials to him.

Just above the Alhambra which overlooks the city is the start of the Sierra Nevada and there are caches within easy walking distance without getting into the cool high parts.

Better stop the Bord Spania commercial now! :D

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:19 pm

I've looked at the Mulhacen cache but I don't think I'll have the time to get up to it - I was up at the parking area for it a couple of years back, the A395 is a fabulous road to drive - even in a crappy hire car! ;) We're staying to the North of the city up in the mountains on the edge of the Sierra Nevada de Hueltor national park so I'm most likely to be caching in that area but I hope to get a few days in the City and further afield too.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:14 am

Sounds great! A driving day in the Alpujarras would be wonderful. Some incredible roads and small beautiful villages that you just would not believe. Not that many caches but a few!

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:08 am

Oh how I wish I could take any of my Minis over there for a pure driving holiday - a Mazda 3 hire car just isn't quite the same!!!! :D Mini United 2011 is rumoured to be in Valencia and I'd definitely drive to that and take in some of the roads further south as well.