March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Scotland

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

johnrm

Scotland

Post by johnrm » Fri May 15, 2009 1:26 pm

This may or may not come about...
I expect to grab the ferry from Larne to Troon on Thursday May 21st 17:30 and returning Troon to Larne at 10:00am on Sunday 24th May.
Ferry trip came about - something to do with a game in Edinburgh which I have no interest in.
I want to go Geocaching.
Last time I was in Scotland (with limited time) I spent a silly amount of time looking for one motorway mayhem cache which TBH was not terribly interesting.
Wondering if anyone can suggest a loop/couple of must-do caches in that neck of the woods.

There may be a seat or 2 available for anyone who has some time on their hands, I'll post more when I know later.

John

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sat May 16, 2009 10:27 am

Departure from Larne confirmed at 17:30
One seat spare.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Mon May 18, 2009 9:40 pm

M50-ing around Dublin about 12:00.
I want to have a poke at 'Shipwrecked' in Baltray, so hitting Belfast around 15:00, be in Larne at 16:30 for 17:30 crossing.
Plan on returning via the same route.
All day Friday/Saturday caching.
Hoping to hit Isle of Bute, taking in as many caches as possible in 2 days, only non-caching time is sleeping, eating and that rugby game.
Going to wing it for B&Bs.
Space for 1 for the ferry trip, but need to know tomorrow before 12:00 if anyone is interested. Can pick up/drop off along the route, minor deviations not a problem.
Mobile 086 2678805, but post interest here in case of overlap.
(I'll delete mob no. tomorrow)
John