March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Vancouver, Canada

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

johnrm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Vancouver, Canada

Post by johnrm » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:54 pm

We're Heading to Vancouver for 3 weeks in April, Meself, herself and 3 smallies.
Nearest cache to where we're staying is GCG717 (cache issues at the moment).

I think its time to set up a few new PQs! ;)

Donmoore
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Donmoore » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Don't do if John Canada is crap save your money buy a villa in Millisle!

Or I can sell you mine with a building site for a very reasonable price. Then I can buy something nice in Canada.....opps I typed that didn't I?

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Yeah I heard it was crap, thats why I'm going.
I'm a sado-masochist just like you :twisted:

Millisle? Too much of a language barrier there mate!

love

Post by love » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:51 pm

Vancouver is a great city to visit, you should have a great time! I've only found a few caches there, but a couple I really enjoyed were GC116J0 (in Stanley park - I recommend finding all the caches you can in Stanley park as it's beautiful there) and GCVJM9 (this definitely lives up to it's name as an interesting fountain).

If you'll have a car, I highly recommend a drive up to Whistler on a sunny day - it's a beautiful drive and there are some good cache stops along the way!

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:06 am

If you enjoy multi-caches, consider GC14A8E. It's one of my all-time favorites.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:44 am

We will have a car and are planning visiting as much as three kids will allow.
Seattle is on the cards too, hopefully pop in to the Groundspeak office.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:31 pm

johnrm wrote:Seattle is on the cards too.
You'll be in Seattle at the right time to collect this cache icon: Image.
Keep an eye on this thread.

The Windsockers

Post by The Windsockers » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:35 am

klossner wrote:
johnrm wrote:Seattle is on the cards too.
You'll be in Seattle at the right time to collect this cache icon: Image.
Keep an eye on this thread.
I just got that icon its a great event :P :P

love

Post by love » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 pm

johnrm wrote:We will have a car and are planning visiting as much as three kids will allow.
Seattle is on the cards too, hopefully pop in to the Groundspeak office.
I'm sure that can be arranged. ;)

Some geocaches that I typically recommend in Seattle are:

GC62C8 - post card view of Seattle (check for other caches close by)
GCMNC8 - I'm sure you'd be going to the Space Needle anyway, so get this while you're there - hopefully the fountain is on by then
GCNYKE - the Totally Tubular series is pretty awesome, especially this one :)
GCZXJK - A great building to check out - go inside and ride the escalators!

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks Love,

I already have the coords from you via email, just to decide which Friday!

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:28 pm

The GPS Adventure Maze cache has been published. It's open March 28 through May 4.

Groundspeak will hold a cache event at the maze on March 28.

love

Post by love » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:06 am

johnrm - it was so nice meeting you and your lovely family! I only wish I had more time to chat with all of you. I hope you're enjoying your time in the area. :)

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:27 am

Hi love,
We all thoroughly enjoyed the visit, many thanks for the time you gave us.
Time to litter the caching world with the bugs I picked up there! :D
We still have over a week left in Vancouver, so lots more caches to be found.
John

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:16 am

Looks like you're running riot over there John, digging out all the caches around! :) I See you made it out to Deep Cove too, Nice !! :)

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Very envious, myself and freakycat were running round there last year, would love to be back there.

Make sure you visit Capilano and Stanley park, great areas even without the caches 8)

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:23 am

@ Spark, just back from finding Rosemary cache, and I found L'il Bugger in Deep Cove yesterday, cool cache container!
@ Medic, Done and done. And I might go back again for more!

The caching is good here in general, but there is the odd crappy one.
There are some older caches where the cache owner has abandoned ship and the cache gets wet and stinky.

Another week to go. Its like all my birthdays at once!

The only fly in the ointment is that we brought the 3 smallies with us so certain activities that I would love to partake in, i.e. long hikes, 5/5 caches and suchlike are off limits.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:28 am

Are you in Nepal Spark?

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:05 am

Did you get up to that lookout over Deep Cove John?

Yes, still in Nepal, Just arrived in Pokhara about 30 mins ago, will start trek to Annapurna Base Camp tomorrow, hopefully grab 2 x 5/5 caches in doing so! Looking forward to getting back on the trails and away from the motorcycle fumes!

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:09 pm

No, but why don't I go over there now, Eh?
Last edited by johnrm on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:51 am

Have a look at my log...
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 99d987865c
2 hours and 3 tired children later!