March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ireland!

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Ireland!

Post by beefy4605 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 pm

It was good to meet you last time and will try to meet again this time round . I'll post a few recomended cahes tomorrow .
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:02 am

....we'll be including Northern Ireland this time. If anyone has any must-see locations or good caching suggestions, please do tell!
There is a nice drive around the Mournes with plenty of views and roadside caches Also as I am from Dundalk, you could go to Carlingford and see the lovely views of the Mournes from the Republic of Ireland. Geocaching Ireland had their New Year 2011 event there on Jan 8th. Let us know the dates your are visiting this area.

The Casual Geocacher

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:56 am

Hey Annie,
Great to hear you're going to be back in town !! Not sure I'll be in the country on the 12th.. But I'll keep an eye on it, fingers crossed! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Love

Post by Love » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Yay, the cache page for the event in Dublin has been published! Hope you all can make it. :)

http://coord.info/GC2N77R

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Great - there are certainly a few events coming up in Dublin! I think I should be able to make it.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:25 am

Ah what a pity! Would like to have been there for this one but will be down undah till start of April. Maybe next time Love! (I mean that in the nicest possible way of course) :D

Love

Post by Love » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Bummer that you won't be around, Kili - but I seem to be averaging trips to Ireland every two years, so I should be back again. :)

Just wondering if anyone has any more trail information to share for Carrauntohill. It was my goal to climb it last time and I just didn't have enough time. I really want to make a go of it this time. I got some good information previously in this thread, but I'm wondering if there's any more specific information I should know. How long should I expect the hike to take if I'm going at a decent pace? How far is the trail head from Killarney? Is the trail head pretty obvious or are there coords available somewhere? I read on the cache page (GCJ39P) that it's best to pay the local farmer for parking - is it pretty easy for me to figure out where to pay, etc?

My mom will be stranded in Killarney without a car when I go for the hike so I want to have a good idea of how long she should expect me to be gone, etc.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Love wrote:Bummer that you won't be around, Kili - but I seem to be averaging trips to Ireland every two years, so I should be back again. :)

Just wondering if anyone has any more trail information to share for Carrauntohill. It was my goal to climb it last time and I just didn't have enough time. I really want to make a go of it this time. I got some good information previously in this thread, but I'm wondering if there's any more specific information I should know. How long should I expect the hike to take if I'm going at a decent pace? How far is the trail head from Killarney? Is the trail head pretty obvious or are there coords available somewhere? I read on the cache page (GCJ39P) that it's best to pay the local farmer for parking - is it pretty easy for me to figure out where to pay, etc?

My mom will be stranded in Killarney without a car when I go for the hike so I want to have a good idea of how long she should expect me to be gone, etc.

All your questions answered here

8) 8)

SaaX
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by SaaX » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Love

Post by Love » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:50 am

Oooh, these are perfect resources - thank you both! :D

love
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by love » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:21 am

I'm coming back! And this time I'm bringing the whole family! We'll be visiting Ireland for just under two weeks in late March/early April. I do plan to have another event again in Dublin. Most likely Sunday the 6th of April. Hope to see some of you there. :)

I'm considering doing a hike near Killarney possibly. Any suggestions on one that wouldn't be too crazy? I climbed Carrantouhil last time and I think that would be a bit too strenuous for some family members if they wanted to come along.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Sounds good! Will pencil the date in.

love
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by love » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:31 pm

The event has been published!