March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Madeira

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Taisce

Madeira

Post by Taisce » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:19 am

Thank the gods! If I don't get away from this infernal rain for a couple of weeks, I won't be held responsible :evil:
The weather is nice there at the moment but mum reckoned it couldn't last :lol: How's that for optimism? :lol:
Anyway, some lovely looking caches there, but the terrain looks a bit steep :shock:
Anyone ever been there?

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm

Haven't been there, but could easily be persuaded (how much is your luggage allowance) :lol: :lol:

Seriously, hope you have a lovely time (and that your mum is wrong!!!)

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 pm

LOL! Not enough! I have to pack my hiking boots!

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:09 pm

Enjoy your trip, Taisce, sounds lovely. I've only seen pictures of Madeira and would love to be going - seems to be lots to see and do and with a geocache or two thrown in what more could you ask for 8) . Timing couldn't be better - your mum has to be wrong :lol: :lol: (no disrespect mummy Taisce :wink: ) - the weather couldn't be worse than here at the minute :cry: . As for the hiking boots, you could do a real Mr Bean and wear all the heavy gear (don't forget your teddy :D )..a few hours of mild embarrassment and you could bring so much extra luggage in your case :wink:

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:59 am

:lol: Yes, I agree...the weather couldn't be worse here, they have forecast torrential rain again for today, Madeira still looks good though 8)

I have all the caches printed off, some of them look really tough though :shock:
oh, and my teddy is already in the case :lol:

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:24 am

Friends of mine were there a couple of months ago and they loved it. They just went to veg out and got lovely weather. They mentioned that there appeared to be some lovely hiking country around. A bit limited in terms of much else.

Won't mention the teddy, I promise!

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:26 pm

Well, sun, sea and a pool will do us anyway...Got loads of books packed too.
But with 33 caches to find, fishing, wine tasting :wink: diving and snorkelling, finding nice restaurants and sightseeing, I think we might be quite busy :D

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Taisce wrote:Well, sun, sea and a pool will do us anyway...Got loads of books packed too.
But with 33 caches to find, fishing, wine tasting :wink: diving and snorkelling, finding nice restaurants and sightseeing, I think we might be quite busy :D
Let me see...............your trip is going to consist of:

Diving and snorkelling to find underwater caches.............
Wine tasting while caching for sustenance...............
Fishing to retrieve micros which have dropped in the water......... :D

And, of course, sightseeing (while caching)

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:14 am

Weeelllllll........ I'd better not show this thread to my other half!

He might decide he's got to work after all.
The poor man came home from work yesterday, to find me surrounded by printed off caches, and a google map with cache pushpins, numbering the pins and the caches.
He was wondering if we were going to sleep/eat or lie by the pool at all. I reassured him, and told him that I only printed them off just in case....
No harm in being prepared, we might just be passing by anyway, don't you want to get some exercise? and finally..... Sure, we'll just do one or two..I'm just not sure which ones :lol:

You might be slightly closer to the mark though Jme :D

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Was in Maderia in 2002 on my honeymoon, long before my caching days. Funny what marriage does!! Anyway we didn't get to see a lot of the island, for the obvious reasons :lol: :oops: =P~ but I do remember a few things...It's a semi tropical Island, as far as you can get one in the mid Atlantic so it has its fair share of humidity (not opressive though) and sun, this is what makes it so lush and kinda tropical. Loads of flowers that people pay through the nose for in Ireland but seem to grow everywhere here.

Funchal is the capital and is a deep water port - this doesn't mean its a big industrial place but a good few ocean liners often dock here. The island is volcanic in origin and sticks straight up out of the sea and has no great beaches, really no beaches at all. Lots of impressive vertical landscape though. Landing at the airport is great craic - it looks like your landing on water as the runway is built over the sea. No flat land available.

You should visit the botanical gardens, don't walk up unless you are really fit! The busses are orange and a bit mental (driving that is). Two other things worth doing is a cable car ride up and coming down in a slidy basket yoke through the streets wit two lads stearing you - you'll know what I mean when you see it.

The island is covered by Levadas which are channels for directing water to dry parts of the island, they are mostly used for walking on now and I am sure there are loads of caches along them. They are not in use any more for channeling water.

The night life is not mental, they specalise in Goan curry as it a colony of Portugal and this island was a stop off on the way back from Goa. The curry is still on the go and quite tasty also. Don't think they do chips.

There is a few good pubs, don't be tempted by the English pubs and the Irish pub. Try Reids - its very cultured (and expensive) - one of the top 10 hotels in the world apparently. There is a great place the center of Funchal called I don't know how to advise you much more go ther and see it for yourself :D :D :D

Oh yeah - that tosser that 'plays' for united is from Maderia.....Where's me cake and I might be able to eat it also....

Have fun, if I were you I'd be checkin out those Earthcaches, they have to be good if they are in Maderia. Serapis.

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:14 am

Thanks so much for all those top tips Serapis!
We'll definitely be checking out those down hill baskety things, the earthcaches and the curry!
Can't wait to see the botanical gardens either :D
But mostly I have to say, can't wait for the sun! I'll try and bring a bit back ok? 8)

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:42 pm

Have a great trip Taisce, I guess you are there by now :D Looking forward to hearing all about your caching 8)

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:48 am

Well, we're home! :cry:

Oh my, what can I say? Madeira is a really beautiful place, the weather was stunning. It's just wonderful! :D
I don't have time to go into it now, as it's first day back to school, and they'll be arriving soon...but it was fabulous!
The caching there is VERY VERY tough though :shock: For someone with a fear of heights it is anyway, and I didn't realise how afraid I was til we went there.
The levadas are stunning, but the drops are ferocious and completely terrifying.
I have a totally different view now on the caches here in Ireland that I thought were scary.

Bom Successo was the most exhilerating but the most terrifying cache ever.
I honestly thought I wouldn't make it out of that gorge.... and drank many glasses of wine once we got back to the hotel. If I had been on my own I would still be there!

Anyway...best be off...work beckons

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Welcome back Taisce, sounds like you had lots of fun over there :lol: :lol: How many caches did you find?

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks N! :lol:
We did have fun :lol: We found 4 caches, 2 easy.... well, 3 easy really, 1 really hard and attempted another one, unfortunately I got terrified halfway up and got frozen to the spot, so Brian went on by himself. He couldn't find the cache though. He really wanted to go back and have another go at it, but we ran out of time :lol:
I guess we'll have to back and try again sometime :wink: :D

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Good to hear you enjoyed your trip to Madeira, Taisce :D Sounds like a few caching adventures were "enjoyed?" :wink: by all....

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:24 am

Taisce wrote: I guess we'll have to back and try again sometime
Thats always a sign of a good holiday when you immediately start making plans to return :D

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:39 am

Oh yes, we'll definitely be going back at some point :D
Highly recommend the place!