March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Patagonia

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Kili or bust

Patagonia

Post by Kili or bust » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Off to Patagonia in November on the next adventure. Trekking across glaciers, swinging across torrents on cables and climbing to a mere 4,700 metres. Two sons coming along this time to mind the oul fella so lots of fund raising done for the Dublin Simon Community at Chez Kili this year.

Hoping to take in Iguazu Falls for a short rest afterwards. Apparently we get to visit from both the Argentine and Brazilian side so with luck I may be able to add some more countries to the caching map.

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 am

Oh wow! That sounds so amazing! :D
I'm sure you'll have the time of your life!

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Sounds amazing!! Only feeling a little jealous here............ :mrgreen:

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:42 pm

jme1979 wrote:Sounds amazing!! Only feeling a little jealous here............ :mrgreen:
Yeah, only a tiny bit here too :lol:

snoopyandmickey

Post by snoopyandmickey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Are you changing your name Sean... patagonia or bust POB! Sounds fun! What about a quick fund raising geocaching event... everyone who turns up donates a few euro?

medic143

Post by medic143 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:05 pm

Sounds like a great trip.

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Best of luck, Sean, sounds like a fabulous adventure - look forward to your blog when you're back. I'm sure you'll have lots of exciting tales to relate. Well done too on the good work for the Simon Community :!:

TKIERNAN

Post by TKIERNAN » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:55 pm

Sounds like a great adventure, is there a web site for the fundraising trip ?

Good luck
TonyK

MadraRua

Post by MadraRua » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:53 pm

You're going to have a fantastic time Sean!
How far south are you going? We went as far as Punta Arenas last year on our Chile trip.
Didn't get a chance to look for many caches, but found some nonetheless.
Make sure to visit Torres del Paine! What a place!

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:08 pm

Wow, fab pics Hauke as usual! Away with "the Boss" at the moment guys and caching as well. In North Antrim right now and off to Ratlin in the morning.

Really looking forward to the trip in November ok. When I get back to Dublin I will give you a more detailed idea of the routes etc.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Just taking up Paul's point about fund raising, Not enough time now to organise a geocaching event but my son David is holding a Poker Night in the Roselawn Inn, Roselawn Road, Castleknock, Dublin 15 at 8.00pm on Saturday night 23rd August. We have all covered our costs personally for the trip already so this is really a fundraiser completely for the Simon Community. Don't know if any of you will be aware but the government money that most charities receive has been drastically reduced or removed altogether this year (100,000 euro that Dub Simon gets was not forthcoming this year!)
so the need for funding for the homeless is pretty dire.

So, if anyone is in the locality and wants a good night out, just let me know!

snoopyandmickey

Post by snoopyandmickey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:39 pm

Sean, We are away that day. Sorry. Hope to catch you before the trip. Liking the numbers on your profile .... Is it too early for a 2k congrats message! P.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:14 pm

Just a tad but join the guessing game! :D

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:15 am

Off on Sunday guys so will be missing from a very quiet forum for best part of the next month. Just about thru a vicious bout of the flu so really glad it was the last week and not next. Could you imagine trying to trek in the snow and camping out with that??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Los Glacieres National Park is where we head, at the foot of Patagonia, and looking into Chile. We are trekking around the Mount Fitzroy range and apparently there has been more snow than usual down there so some of the mountain passes we were intending to cross are blocked up (just like my nose!!).

A few of us staying on to tango in Buenas Aires for another week and take a trip to Brazilian side of Iguazu and possibly even a little venture into Uruguay, just to visit a little historical ruin you understand (with 2 caches heh heh!).

Down to one son for company as number 2 couldn't make it in the end so Sean agus Sean Og will be tango experts by the time we get back so be ready you lady cachers!!! 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:00 am

Have an amazing time Sean! Can't wait to see the photos when you get back :D

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:48 am

Best of Luck Sean, I hope those hikers pay a bit more attention to the tupperware than they did up the mournes!

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:52 pm

Enjoy Sean - as I'm sure you will. Watch out for those Brazilian babes!! BTW Is Joan at home all alone? Just concerned you understand :twisted:

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:44 pm

You will have to go back to Spain to find her Dave. You don't imagine she is going to stay at home pining for me do you?? :D

snoopyandmickey

Post by snoopyandmickey » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Safe trip Seanie. Come home in one piece! P&B

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:11 pm

I'll do me best Paul, thank you!

Am I imagining it or is the forum beginning to liven up again, just when I go away. If yoos manage to have a flame war when I am away again I will haunt someone!!! :shock: :lol: :wink: