March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Moving to Tampa, Florida

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ww.wilma
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Moving to Tampa, Florida

Post by ww.wilma » Wed May 14, 2008 9:24 am

Just to let you know: I am moving to Tampa, Florida at the end of June :( :) :roll: (mixed feelings).

Thanks a million to Spy Caleb and Zola67 who have accepted to adopt my caches. Spy Caleb will take on Lough Arrow View and Zola the other 7 :D =D>

Initially, we thought we would be in Ireland for a few years and I would have loved to populate the counties Leitrim/Roscommen/Longford with caches. But when I found out that we weren't staying that long, I stopped hiding :(

I love caching in Ireland :D and found nearly all caches within 1 hour drive of our home in Leitrim :) (and some further away), so it's time to move on to new adventures :wink:

Thanks for the good time and the brilliant caches!!!
Elke (WW.Wilma)
Last edited by ww.wilma on Wed May 14, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

medic143
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by medic143 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:17 pm

Sorry you're leaving. We've only got to do your Lough Arrow cache so far (neat container if I remembe correctly).

Don't know what your reservations are about Florida, freakycat would move there in a heartbeat.

Best of luck with the move.

mrsweebri

Post by mrsweebri » Wed May 14, 2008 1:07 pm

best of luck elke and enjoy caching in Florida!

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Wed May 14, 2008 3:30 pm

All the best with the move, Elke - didn't get to find any of your caches but they were on our "to do list". I hope all works out for you in Florida - also, always meant to say I love your avatar - makes me grin each time I see it :D

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Wed May 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Best of luck on your move, hope everything goes as planned :) and that you love it!

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Wed May 14, 2008 7:39 pm

Sorry to see you go WW Wilma. We never met but we had a lot of caches in common! Good luck in the US of A.

dino

Post by dino » Wed May 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Wow....good luck with the (massive) move and hope all works out well. And remember just because you're heading across the water doesn't mean you can't still drop in here :mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

jme1979

Re: Moving to Tampa, Florida

Post by jme1979 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm

All the best with the move - and we now know who to call to find out where the best caches in Florida are :D

ww.wilma

Post by ww.wilma » Wed May 14, 2008 9:11 pm

medic143 wrote:Don't know what your reservations are about Florida
Tampa is a city and I'm a country girl... I certainly won't be doing any hillwalking - it's all flat there. Besides, I'll be further away from my parents/brothers who live in Germany.
I won't complain about the Florida sunshine and the beaches, though. That's for sure! :D

ww.wilma

Post by ww.wilma » Wed May 14, 2008 9:14 pm

brackyboggers wrote: always meant to say I love your avatar :D
It's a picture of an Appaloosa mare that I used to have :D

ww.wilma

Post by ww.wilma » Wed May 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Thank you all for the good wishes :D :D :D !!!

I wish I had gotten a chance to meet at least some of you. The only Irish cacher I ever met while geocaching is Zola67.

But time is not up yet. I'll be around for another few weeks and I'll pick up as many caches as I can!!!!