March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Seattle!

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Wow! Seems like some spot for a trek ok! Might prefer it though when the snow melts, if ever. :D

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Sounds absolutely fascinating and what an experience!!! Now, that cache is a challenge for the guys :shock: :lol: :shock:

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:15 pm

If you're going after mountain summit caches in Washington, start with Mt St Helens (our active volcano), then tackle Mt Adams.

I've done Mt St Helens with my daughter. I hope to climb Mt Adams in a couple of years (when the kids are in university and I have time to train.) I don't expect ever to see the top of Mt Rainier except through an airplane window.

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:47 pm

I forgot to mention, I made a stop by the Wapita Woolies shop (and no, I couldn't resist :D ). Check out the design of the hat on the top lefthand side.............I can't imagine where it got the name 'Happy Humper Flaps' from :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://wapitiwoolies.com/hats.htm

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:57 pm

you bought one of those? wonder how many people would pick up on the design

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:06 pm

I thought about buying one, but finally opted for a much more 'sedate' design.......they are brilliant though, lovely fleece lining, and they are soooooooo soft!

I guess the speed with which you pick up on the design can probably be equated to your state of mind.................. :lol: :lol:

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:51 pm

jme1979 wrote:I thought about buying one, but finally opted for a much more 'sedate' design.......they are brilliant though, lovely fleece lining, and they are soooooooo soft!

I guess the speed with which you pick up on the design can probably be equated to your state of mind.................. :lol: :lol:
who me? not at all :oops: i am just a collector of hats of thebeanie type so i'm always on the look out for new/clever designs. in fact I have one that looks quite like them except a much more sedate design.

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:28 pm

In case anyone is interested, I have put up a few pictures from the trip here http://www.flickr.com/photos/28209073@N04/.

Not the best quality (just taken with a little compact) - but at least you get the general gist of it all!

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:45 pm

Pics of your trip are super, jme1979!!! :lol: It was a real treat to see Groundspeak HQ and the magic box of goodies. The scenery around the huge city is just fabulous - such a contrast of modern, high rise buildings with the beautiful backdrop of Mt Rainier - must have been a spectacular experience. :D

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:57 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen_de ... 893603956/

This link contains photos taken by a friend who was in Seattle at the same time - his Mount Rainier set contains a geocaching joke :D. He was introduced to it when we were there (poor guy!) The Rainier sunset photo was taken from the departure lounge in the airport while we were waiting for our flight home.

I was with him for the Bainbridge Island photos as well, taken on the last day - the little Woodpeckers were sooooooooooo cute!!

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:13 pm

Some nice shots there and that geocoin is large I wouldn't like to be geting that minted!
Really nice to see snow capped mountains at this time of year.... do they ever clear?

You certainly seemd to have filled your stay anyway.

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:22 pm

I know the volcano itself never fully clears (it always requires a hike across the snow fields to get up to the summit), but I'm not sure about the Tatoosh Mountains (or the other close by ranges, which were still covered when I was there). I would guess the answer is possibly 'no' though.................

Definitely busy days when I was there, but it was well worth it :) Would love to go back to give the Wonderland Trail in the National Park a go sometime (a trail which passes around the base of the volcano).

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:33 am

Fabulous shots! looks like an amazing place to visit :D and what an adorable little cub too :D

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:00 pm

Everything but the highest peaks (Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, Mt Baker) clears of snow by late summer. It gets quite warm here -- we expect to see 30 degrees today, and 35 is quite common. In early September, you can walk to the top of Mt St Helens without encountering a speck of ice and look down into the steaming crater.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:50 pm

Then I suggest you pack all the terminal underwear that you can for your trip over here along with oilskins and whatever else because you may be in for a shock! The rain has been teeming here all day and the forecast is for a lot more of the same. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sorry to sound so pessimistic but there is every chance that our summer just whizzed by during a 5 minute spell last month! :x :x :x
Last edited by Kili or bust on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Yes, the weather is pretty poor at the minute....perhaps we should all go on a caching trip to the US? :D

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:24 pm

I can get my suitcase packed within half an hour............where are you all thinking of (ever get the impression I don't take much convincing to 'run away')?

=P~ 8)

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:13 pm

jme1979 wrote:I can get my suitcase packed within half an hour............where are you all thinking of (ever get the impression I don't take much convincing to 'run away')?

=P~ 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: I wish!!! I'm back in work on Monday :roll:

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:26 pm

Made it to Geocaching HQ today for myself, to log my 200th cache! Wooo :D

Cool place, and the staff there were so friendly!

Especially Annie who spent an hour talking to me! - answering all my geocaching questions (weirdest emails, most frequent questions etc)

JME - She still recalls the time you called with the chocolates :D She said they went down a treat! :D:D

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Spark_ie wrote:Made it to Geocaching HQ today for myself, to log my 200th cache! Wooo :D

Cool place, and the staff there were so friendly!

Especially Annie who spent an hour talking to me! - answering all my geocaching questions (weirdest emails, most frequent questions etc)

JME - She still recalls the time you called with the chocolates :D She said they went down a treat! :D:D
:D :D I dread to think what she had to say! She is sooooooooooo lovely, isn't she :)

Its a great place - it looks like it would be brilliant to work there!

Did you manage to get to any other caches in the area when you were there - I had really wanted to do the Sleepless in Seattle cache on the lakeside, but I ran out of time :(