March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Canada - Vancouver

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

medic143

Canada - Vancouver

Post by medic143 » Thu May 01, 2008 3:33 pm

Freakycat and myself are away to Canada on the 20th May. It should have been the 19th and the short version of the story is DONT FLY WITH ZOOM AIR. They have cancelled our flights 3 times and made one further time change so far :x

Busy trying to narrow down the best of the available caches. It would take a lot longer than the 17 days we have to do more than scratch the surface.

If anyone has been and can recommend particularly good ones type away.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu May 01, 2008 3:56 pm

My advice is never ever even if it is a last resort fly with Air Transit. I have more horror stories about them going to Canada then any other. Some people never learn ( that being me) but i have flew with zoom and globespan the last few times and would recommend their service. maybe they just couldn't get the numbers to make the flight econimically viable. I know they double up with each other to fill planes.

On the caching side of things I have only cached Windsor ontario and the niagra area so I am of no use to you, but have a great trip The west is best i am lead to believe.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 am

You're coming to my time zone! Vancouver is a delightful place, and it's thick with caches.

My favorite caching experience there was bicycling around Stanley Park. Start at this cache and go counter-clockwise, seeing the sights and collecting caches as you go.

This cache is on my all-time favorites list. I like multi-caches and I enjoy exploring university campuses.

This cache is a forty-minute drive from downtown and worth it.

You can find the British Columbia geocaching forums here.

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Fri May 02, 2008 7:22 am

Oh you lucky ducks! That sounds great, I love Canada :D

Klossner, I like the look of that last cache :lol:

Donmoore, I've flown with Airtransit a few times and found them fine. Mind you, I haven't been to Canada for a few years.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri May 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Vancouver, Nice place! !

I've flown with Globespan to Toronto before, and never had any issues with them. Great rates, great seats, good entertainment, and certainly alot better than the (more expensive) flight (old crok!) home from New York with Aer Lingus!

I'm actually moving to Vancouver this coming June for 7 months! ... in 49 days to be exact ;)

medic143

Post by medic143 » Mon May 19, 2008 4:17 pm

We're off tomorrow. Had a look at your suggestions and

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... c4dd2d9e03

is actually the closest cache to where we're staying. We only a few minutes walk from Stanley Park so we intend to walk the entire park over the course of the holiday.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ea56b9c8f1

Is on the list too as we want to visit the antropol museum as well.

Don't know about the last one, we generally avoid puzzle caches when we're on holiday but we are hoping to get into the general area as it looks nice.

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:18 pm

Have a good trip :D

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Tue May 20, 2008 1:33 am

medic143 wrote:Don't know about the last one, we generally avoid puzzle caches when we're on holiday but we are hoping to get into the general area as it looks nice.
There's no actual puzzling to be done. Go to the initial coordinates, find what's there to be found, and it will all become clear. Have a grand time!

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Tue May 20, 2008 7:03 am

Hope you have a brilliant time! :D

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:20 pm

We're here !! And we have free internet access in the condo where we're staying so I can log as we go. Started on the Stanley Park caches this morning at 5AM (no not obsessed, well yes I am but jet lag is the reason for the early start).

I have to say it's probably the nicest urban parks I've ever been in and it's un real how many people are out jogging and cycling at 6 in the morning.

7 caches done today :D , only another 989 left on list :lol:

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Wed May 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Wow!!!! Now that's what I call life in the fast lane :shock: Hope you both enjoy your hols :D

Taisce

Post by Taisce » Thu May 22, 2008 7:04 am

:lol: Glad you're having a wonderful time :D

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:38 am

Did you enjoy the rest of your time in Vancouver medic??

medic143

Post by medic143 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:30 am

Vancouver is a fantastic place to visit, especially if you're into the outdoors. Highlights of the trip were whale watching and white water rafting. Spent a lot of time walking around the state parks, great hiking trails to suit all levels. The only missing component was an intended trip up "The Grind" but it was closed until the day before we were coming home and the weather had turned poor by that stage.

We didn't find the shopping particularly cheap (but that's compared to Orlando not Dublin).

Overall I would recommend it and we intend to try East Coast Canada some time in the next few years.